Luke Gale

12 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I was at Headingley 1959 in the South Stand.G.B were losing but had a scrum near the Aussies line just to the left of the sticks at the terraced end.Stevenson put the ball in we won it and he picked it up and went towards the line but flipped out a back pass to loose forward Johnny Whiteley who went under the posts,goal kicked and we won 11-10.Don Robinson and Neil Fox scored the other tries.

Well... This post won't be popular, I appreciate. However, I have to say that this kind of sums up what is wrong with Rugby League in England, and why it is on its knees.

The topic is Luke Gale, captain of one of SuperLeague's biggest clubs, being stripped of the captaincy. Imagine if this was in the NRL ... Social media, discussion forums, newspaper articles would be absolutely full of it, and sites like this (in Australia) would be discussing it in great detail. On here, (the UK's main(?) RL forum) we have someone talking about a game 61 years ago, and rambling completely off topic. The fact is, 61 years ago, the vast majority of the population were not even born. To be remembering Rugby League games from 61 years ago, the poster must be in his 70s. 

The simple fact is: the game is utterly unrecognisable from 61 years ago, yet this poster is not alone on here in droning on about stuff like that.... Totally and utterly out of touch with the modern fanbase, and the sort of demographic that Rugby League NEEDS to get hold of if it is to survive.

No wonder nobody goes to games these days (5000 odd at Wigan FFS) when the stereotypical Rugby League fan is a guy in his 70s rambling on about "Eey oop...  1959... Won a scrum... Johnny Whiitely.... Oonder t'posts..." Guys like him, are exactly what people think of when they hear the words "rugby league" unfortunately.

I am not for one second saying we should ignore the game's history.  However if you want to discuss stuff from over half a century ago, go away and start a dedicated thread on it, rather than derailing a discussion about Leeds Rhinos' deposed captain, something that IS relevant to the game today. 

As I said above, I appreciate my post will not be popular, but is it any wonder the game is struggling to attract supporters when the current fanbase lives so desperately for the past??

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sort of get what you're saying TFS, but using Australia as an example is a bit off IMO - most of the mainstream media seems to delight in kicking the hell out of the game, its players and supporters at every opportunity, and there's virtually no celebration of the past at all.  AFL is far better at celebrating past players at the drop of a hat without just discussing how hard they hit someone in a GF, and I think it helps deepen links between the sport and fans. 

19 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Well... This post won't be popular, I appreciate. However, I have to say that this kind of sums up what is wrong with Rugby League in England, and why it is on its knees.

The topic is Luke Gale, captain of one of SuperLeague's biggest clubs, being stripped of the captaincy. Imagine if this was in the NRL ... Social media, discussion forums, newspaper articles would be absolutely full of it, and sites like this (in Australia) would be discussing it in great detail. On here, (the UK's main(?) RL forum) we have someone talking about a game 61 years ago, and rambling completely off topic. The fact is, 61 years ago, the vast majority of the population were not even born. To be remembering Rugby League games from 61 years ago, the poster must be in his 70s. 

The simple fact is: the game is utterly unrecognisable from 61 years ago, yet this poster is not alone on here in droning on about stuff like that.... Totally and utterly out of touch with the modern fanbase, and the sort of demographic that Rugby League NEEDS to get hold of if it is to survive.

No wonder nobody goes to games these days (5000 odd at Wigan FFS) when the stereotypical Rugby League fan is a guy in his 70s rambling on about "Eey oop...  1959... Won a scrum... Johnny Whiitely.... Oonder t'posts..." Guys like him, are exactly what people think of when they hear the words "rugby league" unfortunately.

I am not for one second saying we should ignore the game's history.  However if you want to discuss stuff from over half a century ago, go away and start a dedicated thread on it, rather than derailing a discussion about Leeds Rhinos' deposed captain, something that IS relevant to the game today. 

As I said above, I appreciate my post will not be popular, but is it any wonder the game is struggling to attract supporters when the current fanbase lives so desperately for the past??

Until you go out and attract that fanbase you need us oldies spending money on the game...

His post was relevant to another post plus I enjoyed that read.

I didn't yours and for me your is the post that would switch me off, not his.

1 hour ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Warrington are lucky to not be further behind with the amount of territory and possession that Wigan have had.   If they can hold Wigan out for the next ten minutes things may even up in the second half.

be careful, if Mr Scotsman sees this he will have to upbraid you for derailing the thread :kolobok_acute:

On 27/07/2021 at 23:48, The Frying Scotsman said:

In general, this is why Millennials and Gen-Z are despised by the media. Unlike the previous generations who were happy with ‘as long as I can keep t’roof over mi ‘ed, have a few drinks darn werk’in men’s at t’weekend, I’m appy.’ The newer generations want more out of life and won’t be held back by accepting mediocracy anymore.

The game still represents the old generations. If it doesn’t move on then it’s never going to grow past where it is.

We could start with getting rid of Baz n’ Tez commentating on Sky.

7 hours ago, Mark S said:

In general, this is why Millennials and Gen-Z are despised by the media. Unlike the previous generations who were happy with ‘as long as I can keep t’roof over mi ‘ed, have a few drinks darn werk’in men’s at t’weekend, I’m appy.’ The newer generations want more out of life and won’t be held back by accepting mediocracy anymore.

The game still represents the old generations. If it doesn’t move on then it’s never going to grow past where it is.

We could start with getting rid of Baz n’ Tez commentating on Sky.

No one should feel they have to accept mediocrity, no matter what their age.

I don't know whether you fit into the millennial bracket (25-40) or Gen-Z ( 6-24), but I hope that one day you find a way of using your ambitions for the game to make it everything you think it isn't.  Go for it, the world's your lobster..........

Archived