Jump to content

The Cornwall RLFC Thread


Recommended Posts


13 hours ago, Hugh Jarce said:

As a Dewsbury Rams Fan I have nothing but good things to say about Neil, he is a committed and thorough coach/manager.

His appointment is just what Cornwall need, his experience in both codes will work for him.

 

Just found my second team! 😀

He was the Dewsbury coach when I started going to the Heavy Woollen sides games in 1999. They had a very good team then. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Eddie said:

Great stuff. Surely the doubters must be changing their minds now. Cornwall are my new joint second team (along with Widnes and Sheffield Eagles). 

Must they be changing their minds ?

They have a head coach & one player whilst the other clubs are in or about to start preseason training.

Im all for expansion but Cornwall still have a pretty big mountain to climb before the start of the season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Must they be changing their minds ?

They have a head coach & one player whilst the other clubs are in or about to start preseason training.

Im all for expansion but Cornwall still have a pretty big mountain to climb before the start of the season.

Yes they’ve announced two very sensible appointments. Surely nobody is naive enough to think that they haven’t got more lined up. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yes they’ve announced two very sensible appointments. Surely nobody is naive enough to think that they haven’t got more lined up. 

I think its quite clever to keep drip feeding signings and announcements. It guarantees plenty of stories and keeps them in the news.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, CornwallRL said:

Looking through these posts, there is a lot of negative sarcastic posts on this thread. Is that how we welcome a new member of our family to the table?

If you don't want a nice weekend away, in Cornwall, there is always Perpignan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, CornwallRL said:

Looking through these posts, there is a lot of negative sarcastic posts on this thread. Is that how we welcome a new member of our family to the table?

Generally, aye.

  • Haha 5

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Yes they’ve announced two very sensible appointments. Surely nobody is naive enough to think that they haven’t got more lined up. 

I anticipate more news over coming days.

Whatever views posters here might have had at the beginning, I can say with complete confidence that most will be happy with the end result come the 2022 kick off.

Most of all, it is important to dispel any ideas that this team will be based somewhere other than Cornwall. It will, after all, feature a great many local players in the squad - as has been the pledge all along.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, ChristianB said:

I anticipate more news over coming days.

Whatever views posters here might have had at the beginning, I can say with complete confidence that most will be happy with the end result come the 2022 kick off.

Most of all, it is important to dispel any ideas that this team will be based somewhere other than Cornwall. It will, after all, feature a great many local players in the squad - as has been the pledge all along.

Are you able to say, are you putting together a squad to try to get promoted, or one to find your feet in L1? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ChristianB said:

I anticipate more news over coming days.

Whatever views posters here might have had at the beginning, I can say with complete confidence that most will be happy with the end result come the 2022 kick off.

Most of all, it is important to dispel any ideas that this team will be based somewhere other than Cornwall. It will, after all, feature a great many local players in the squad - as has been the pledge all along.

Could there be any plans to play games in Devon, Torquay for example as Truro did, though I appreciate that was due to other issues?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ChristianB said:

I anticipate more news over coming days.

Whatever views posters here might have had at the beginning, I can say with complete confidence that most will be happy with the end result come the 2022 kick off.

Most of all, it is important to dispel any ideas that this team will be based somewhere other than Cornwall. It will, after all, feature a great many local players in the squad - as has been the pledge all along.

I'm really hoping that Cornwall not only make the 2022 start but also hold their own and win a few matches. However I am still sceptical. I know that you are loosely involved with the club and wonder if you could answer a couple of questions (though obviously understand if not).

It is great that Cornwall will be based in Cornwall and have an element of local players but presumably the bulk of players will need to be existing semi pros or talented amateurs talked into giving it a go. Are the club hoping to convince players to move down to Cornwall? Would they look at helping the semi pro players find jobs (presumably not in the tourist industry due to weekend games)? Or are they expecting to pay the players enough that rugby would be their sole income? Also how much is the cost of living there? I appreciate there will be different costs in different areas but for example what would the cost of a 2 bed house to rent be?

It's been great to see some new names on here after the announcement of Cornwall but has there been much interest in the semi pro or amateur union game down there amongst the players at coming over to try RL?

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Are you able to say, are you putting together a squad to try to get promoted, or one to find your feet in L1? 

By 'you' one means Neil and the directors. I have absolutely no influence or input (nor experience in such matters)!

Hypothetically, you could parachute in half of the Melbourne Storm team and gain promotion. But what good would that do? It would neither be authentic nor grow the grassroots of the game. Everyone I know involved in Cornwall RL over the past decade has been driven by giving athletes with the necessary attributes for the sport an outlet. So, I expect the team will be balanced between the experienced and the best local talent. No surprises there.

Do I have any idea which established RL players the coach will sign in coming months? No. Do I think he and those behind the scenes are deadly serious in making this club a success in Yr1 and beyond? Hell, yes.

2 hours ago, Niels said:

Could there be any plans to play games in Devon, Torquay for example as Truro did, though I appreciate that was due to other issues?

 

 

Honestly no idea. I would be surprised if the club didn't devote itself entirely towards establishing itself at the Memorial Ground in the first season. Who knows beyond that. Personally, I have a lot of time for Polson Bridge at Launceston - one of the most delightfully-situated rugby grounds in the British Isles, right on the banks of the River Tamar. 

Either way, I reckon Penryn is the perfect place. My lad has played for its juniors and the people who run the club are a really good bunch.

2 hours ago, glossop saint said:

I'm really hoping that Cornwall not only make the 2022 start but also hold their own and win a few matches. However I am still sceptical. I know that you are loosely involved with the club and wonder if you could answer a couple of questions (though obviously understand if not).

It is great that Cornwall will be based in Cornwall and have an element of local players but presumably the bulk of players will need to be existing semi pros or talented amateurs talked into giving it a go. Are the club hoping to convince players to move down to Cornwall? Would they look at helping the semi pro players find jobs (presumably not in the tourist industry due to weekend games)? Or are they expecting to pay the players enough that rugby would be their sole income? Also how much is the cost of living there? I appreciate there will be different costs in different areas but for example what would the cost of a 2 bed house to rent be?

It's been great to see some new names on here after the announcement of Cornwall but has there been much interest in the semi pro or amateur union game down there amongst the players at coming over to try RL?

Thanks.

Nothing wrong with healthy scepticism!! I'll try and answer in a roundabout way...

I have watched pretty much every one of the home matches of the Cornish Rebels and Cornwall v Devon games over the past few years. I could name at least six (currently active) players who, if they had been born in an RL town, would be Championship standard if not higher. It is my hope that they all get to the trials stage because, being honest, the 'pro' game will suddenly have guys who had previously been withheld from it.

I am in no doubt that Neil Kelly will bring out the best in them and cause more than a few surprises.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, newbe said:

In defence of Cornwall, how many clubs always have a full squad of local players. Not picking out any particular teams, but Skolars, Hurricanes have a lot of players that don't come from the area, what's the difference.

How many players from Oldham or Hunslet are from those towns? I genuinely don't know the answer but I would imagine not a full squad. I do think that some people's obsession with local players at all pro/ semi pro levels does not help the game. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...