For Gallant Youths and Old Giffers

Bill H

As DD is trying to gag the old giffers on another thread (and who can blame him); here, to hopefully keep them engaged is a question for the oldies.

Name the season from the following clues.

Bramley beat us home and away.

Hull beat us in the Challenge Cup, but we did the double over them in the league.

We beat Bradford Northern home and away in the league and Huddersfield at home.

The top try scorers on 13 apiece were both centres.

Next, on 11 tries apiece were a winger and someone with a connection to the present club.

More clues are available but I suspect that someone will crack it from the above.

11 minutes ago, Bi11 said:

As DD is trying to gag the old giffers on another thread (and who can blame him); here, to hopefully keep them engaged is a question for the oldies.

Name the season from the following clues.

Bramley beat us home and away.

Hull beat us in the Challenge Cup, but we did the double over them in the league.

We beat Bradford Northern home and away in the league and Huddersfield at home.

The top try scorers on 13 apiece were both centres.

Next, on 11 tries apiece were a winger and someone with a connection to the present club.

More clues are available but I suspect that someone will crack it from the above.

Just a polite request to stay on thread. Anyway, for us young uns, more clues needed! 

It was an interesting season. We were in decline after the loss of Gittins, Gorman, Doyle and Martyn but still a useful side.  To put the double over Bradford Northern into perspective for younger forum readers, although their league form was patchy they beat a very good Dewsbury side to reach the Challenge Cup final that season.  Three of our squad, I think, came from Dewsbury with big Jim Naylor winning his Yorkshire Cap; whilst at least two of the squad went on to play across the valley

. And I believe that I am right in saying that a generous sponsor of ours in recent years played for us that season. Our hooker was the son of one of our greatest ever back row forwards whilst the scrum half had played Rugby League for Wales.  As to Dewsbury..........nah, forget it, wrong forum!

36 minutes ago, Bi11 said:

It was an interesting season. We were in decline after the loss of Gittins, Gorman, Doyle and Martyn but still a useful side.  To put the double over Bradford Northern into perspective for younger forum readers, although their league form was patchy they beat a very good Dewsbury side to reach the Challenge Cup final that season.  Three of our squad, I think, came from Dewsbury with big Jim Naylor winning his Yorkshire Cap; whilst at least two of the squad went on to play across the valley

. And I believe that I am right in saying that a generous sponsor of ours in recent years played for us that season. Our hooker was the son of one of our greatest ever back row forwards whilst the scrum half had played Rugby League for Wales.  As to Dewsbury..........nah, forget it, wrong forum!

One for old timers, just on the back of this:-

I was not around for the Yorkshire/Lancashire divisional structure.

To those who were, was this a better structure than the top to bottom divisional structures we have had since?

Was it better for the bottom teams, but hampered the top ones for example?

I've always had the impression that having a structure like this would be better for the game as a whole, as the traditionally smaller club's would benefit from bigger gates and sponsorship as they would guaranteed meaningful games against the best supported clubs. Less travelling, which is also better for the environment and would lower the costs for fans and club's. Therefore In principle, it should level the playing field between the haves and have nots.

However, having never witnessed it:

Was the gap between the top and bottom clubs still as wide as it is now?

Were there problems with that structure/ why was it changed to what we have now?

38 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

To those who were, was this a better structure than the top to bottom divisional structures we have had since?

I've always had the impression that having a structure like this would be better for the game as a whole, as the traditionally smaller club's would benefit from bigger gates and sponsorship as they would guaranteed meaningful games against the best supported clubs. Less travelling, which is also better for the environment and would lower the costs for fans and club's. Therefore In principle, it should level the playing field between the haves and have nots.

Were there problems with that structure/ why was it changed to what we have now?

It wasn't, of course, strictly Yorkshire/Lancashire with Whitehaven and Workington also in the mix. In addition there were seasons where individual clubs from the West Riding were shifted into the "West" competition in order to even up numbers.

Comparing then and now is invidious given the wholesale changes that the game has undergone since that time. However, from a commercial viewpoint, the bigger clubs certainly didn't like the old system where they were forced to play against smaller and weaker teams with the subsequent impact upon income.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

The sponsor would be Stan Whittaker, and the hooker would be George Harwood I believe.

The home shirts where Cherry and White hoops and the alternative was Green shirts.

29 minutes ago, RogerT said:

The sponsor would be Stan Whittaker, and the hooker would be George Harwood I believe.

The home shirts where Cherry and White hoops and the alternative was Green shirts.

I always liked the green kit, and enjoyed it as a second kit when used more recently! My albeit distant memory of us during the 70's was that we always seemed to be in a perpetual mini league with Huyton, Doncaster and Blackpool. Dewsbury had that magnificent team at the time too. 

2 hours ago, RogerT said:

Bill Hudson was the hooker that I was looking for Roger.  His father had been a record transfer to Wigan before my time. Stan Whittaker was indeed the sponsor.  And the colours were as you've described.  The details are from the John Player yearbook 1973-74 and not my unreliable recollection.

You will probably remember better than me Roger, but I seem to think that Bill Hudson junior was in the Mark Scott mould.

4 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

It was nice to see the ground full for games against the top teams and surprise results did occur if the weather was foul and the hooker on form.  However, many of the games were embarrassingly one sided and I think that the current format makes more sense.   

Sorry B1ll I can't remember Bill, my main memory around the 60's was Joe Fryer as hooker, he lived a few doors away from us, then a bit later Ian Geldard, Brian Cartwright, Grit Barlow, Moyser.

IIRC Batley used to volunteer to play in the Lancashire League.I think they got compensation payments fron the RL towards the extra travelling.Also I think they could also pick their own 3 opponents from the Yorkshire section.Dewsbury,Leeds and Wakefield if memory serves.

Obviousely no compensation for us fans going over the hill with Albert Lyles every other week.And that was pre M62.Because of this,at one point in time I could say that I had watched Batley at every ground in the League.

OH Happy Days.

2 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

IIRC Batley used to volunteer to play in the Lancashire League.I think they got compensation payments fron the RL towards the extra travelling.Also I think they could also pick their own 3 opponents from the Yorkshire section.Dewsbury,Leeds and Wakefield if memory serves.

Obviousely no compensation for us fans going over the hill with Albert Lyles every other week.And that was pre M62.Because of this,at one point in time I could say that I had watched Batley at every ground in the League.

OH Happy Days.

I seemed to spend half of my childhood on those coaches. Those Cumbrian trips were epics!

20 hours ago, distantdog said:

I seemed to spend half of my childhood on those coaches. Those Cumbrian trips were epics!

Cumberland DD, surely?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 14/11/2021 at 15:43, Bi11 said:

Bill Hudson was the hooker that I was looking for Roger.  His father had been a record transfer to Wigan before my time. Stan Whittaker was indeed the sponsor.  And the colours were as you've described.  The details are from the John Player yearbook 1973-74 and not my unreliable recollection.

You will probably remember better than me Roger, but I seem to think that Bill Hudson junior was in the Mark Scott mould.

Just popped mine back on the shelf Bi11. My memory isn't that good.

We have had some flyers on our wings at times.

There was one I believe used to used to race in the PowderHall Sprint in Glasgow, it was a race for money so the athletes couldn't take part amateur status and all that snobbery.

I believe it was Jack Hemmingway, there used to be an 100 yds sand track at the bottom of the cricket field.  

1 hour ago, RogerT said:

But they where still called the Cumbrian sides.

What did you call people from Westmorland?

Archived