Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

A couple of quick wickets after lunch, and Bonner may run out of batting partners if England keep up the pressure and don't lose their heads.

282 for 7

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

A couple of quick wickets after lunch, and Bonner may run out of batting partners if England keep up the pressure and don't lose their heads.

282 for 7

Wood is broken and won't bowl again this innings

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

282 for 7

Not someone I’m familiar with tbh , got a 100 now I see 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

His last test appearance (maybe even his last international) was 10 years ago. He's been offered a second chance at the age of 33, and is clinging on to it like grim death.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 hours ago, DavidM said:

The commentary team said he'd been playing semi-pro cricket in the USA, where quite a few teams fly in Caribbean players on the weekend for matches. A whole world of cricket I was unaware of.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Anyway, after an early "here we go again" wicket, England are on 72 for 1 at lunch.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Anyway, after an early "here we go again" wicket, England are on 72 for 1 at lunch.

It's all very slow. Time is probably against a result but looking like only England can win from here. Draw most likely though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A century for Crawley, and England are on 212 for 1.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Pleased for him , less pleased its on bt sport !

Yes, and yes.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Root declares at 349-6, setting WI 286 to win from 70 overs. This has, somehow, turned into a decent contest.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Looks like a draw for this Test.

Nkrumah Bonner has totally justified his recall.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Root declares at 349-6, setting WI 286 to win from 70 overs. This has, somehow, turned into a decent contest.

Theoretically, the scores are ideal for Test cricket (300 ish each innings plus a run chase) but sadly the pitch is too dead to make it all fit into 5 days. Still better than the pitch for the first test in Pakistan - all those years waiting for a game against Australia and it's basically a tarmac road.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On 13/03/2022 at 13:05, Farmduck said:

The Women's World Cup produced one interesting dismissal in the AUS defeat of NZ. NZer Maddy Green was out "c Healy b McGrath."

Definitely not the first, and possibly not the last.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Meanwhile, Pakistan v Australia second test is a much better affair than the first thanks to Pakistan's terrible first innings batting.

Chasing 500+ they are 277-4 on the last day with Babar 150 not out. In all the talk of Kohli, Smith, Root and Williamson, Babar is the forgotten one of the best betters. Lovely to watch if you're not bowling at him.

Still expect an Aussie win.

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

Meanwhile, Pakistan v Australia second test is a much better affair than the first thanks to Pakistan's terrible first innings batting.

Chasing 500+ they are 277-4 on the last day with Babar 150 not out. In all the talk of Kohli, Smith, Root and Williamson, Babar is the forgotten one of the best betters. Lovely to watch if you're not bowling at him.

Still expect an Aussie win.

21 overs to go and Australia still need to take 6 wickets. Pakistan, in theory, need 134 runs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

21 overs to go and Australia still need to take 6 wickets. Pakistan, in theory, need 134 runs.

from Cricinfo: Babar is now just the fourth batter to face 400+ deliveries in the fourth innings of a Test, joining Atherton, Sutcliffe and Gavaskar.

6 minutes ago, tim2 said:

from Cricinfo: Babar is now just the fourth batter to face 400+ deliveries in the fourth innings of a Test, joining Atherton, Sutcliffe and Gavaskar.

Just saw that pop up.

Proper fourth inning rearguards are the thing that no other format of the game can come close to replicating. They don't really happen often but when they do...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Just saw that pop up.

Proper fourth inning rearguards are the thing that no other format of the game can come close to replicating. They don't really happen often but when they do...

Yes, and the Aussies did a good job in setting a high enough target. Good read of the pitch.

Although, could they have enforced the follow-on? Gave their bowlers a rest and still enough time to take the wickets so probably the right call.

Edited by tim2

Babar out for 196! Game on with 13 overs or so left.

• Like 1

England 244-3 at the end of day one. This seems unpatriotic and almost Australian. I'm not sure I approve.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5,000 Test runs for Stokes, as he takes his total past that of Viv Richards.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

England declared at 507 for 9. West Indies are currently 21 for 1.

Ralph Waldo Emerson