Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, Niels said:

The roses game had a fantastic finish again.

Yorkshire needed 5 off the final ball but it was caught on the boundary after it looked like it was 6. 

Yorks completely lost their thinking heads for a few overs after Willey's dismissal (which, itself, was a very silly way to get out) and, ultimately, that's what cost them.

Two matches from Headingley have been on the TV this week and if the batting side in each of the four innings had stayed focused they could each have got to 230-240. I'm not sure that's necessarily what people want or need to see week in week out but it, absolutely, produced a classic last night.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Yorks completely lost their thinking heads for a few overs after Willey's dismissal (which, itself, was a very silly way to get out) and, ultimately, that's what cost them.

Two matches from Headingley have been on the TV this week and if the batting side in each of the four innings had stayed focused they could each have got to 230-240. I'm not sure that's necessarily what people want or need to see week in week out but it, absolutely, produced a classic last night.

The death overs in both innings cost Yorkshire dearly. They were well ahead on 15, and I think 17 over comparisons. But the death bowling and batting was poor. Brook would likely have made a difference to the batting though, not sure why he wasn't playing, given he was with the Yorks squad.

Was surprised not to see Bess or Rashid come in ahead of Revis and Drakes, given the required rate was pretty manageable at that point. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, phiggins said:

The death overs in both innings cost Yorkshire dearly. They were well ahead on 15, and I think 17 over comparisons. But the death bowling and batting was poor. Brook would likely have made a difference to the batting though, not sure why he wasn't playing, given he was with the Yorks squad.

Late withdrawal - not sure of the reasons.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I've got the Eng v NZ game on in the background now. The pitch looks very ... green. I take it the groundskeeper had a strong "this WILL last 5 days, or else" message given.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, ckn said:

I've got the Eng v NZ game on in the background now. The pitch looks very ... green. I take it the groundskeeper had a strong "this WILL last 5 days, or else" message given.

It's playing very placid so far.

New Zealand looking pretty unthreatened at 54/0.

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's playing very placid so far.

New Zealand looking pretty unthreatened at 54/0.

England haven't had a bat yet...

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

It’s good to see England’s cricket fielding remains the one true constant in my life. 

9 minutes ago, ckn said:

It’s good to see England’s cricket fielding remains the one true constant in my life. 

Doesn't help when the ball gets soaked in alcoholic refreshment.

• Like 1

It is a bit of wind up when commentators search for excuses when players make a mistake …then say ‘ not that I’m looking for excuses ‘ . Root drops a complete sitter and right away Ward is ooh it wobbled , did it , ooh and dipped . No Wardy it was pretty straightforward , and if he’d caught it you’d have said so. Sometimes they just stuff up ( us quite regularly in the slips )

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Doesn't help when the ball gets soaked in alcoholic refreshment.

If Flintoff was still playing, he'd be drawn to a booze-soaked cricket ball like a moth to a flame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

55 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If Flintoff was still playing, he'd be drawn to a booze-soaked cricket ball like a moth to a flame.

Certainly a bit of a theme with talismanic captain allrounders

Root on 88 and Pope on 131 and it is 299 for 2.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

331 for 2 at tea. Root's got his 27th century.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Argh! After that great long pause while Pope replaced his damaged pad, he's out next ball!
145 runs, though. Not to be sniffed at.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Trent Bridge sings "Joe Root" to the refrain of "Hey Jude", as the former captain passes 150. Phil Tufnell says he's got goosebumps - he's not alone!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Trent Bridge sings "Joe Root" to the refrain of "Hey Jude", as the former captain passes 150. Phil Tufnell says he's got goosebumps - he's not alone!

I think they put a stat up saying four fifties and ten hundreds since the start of last year ?

International bowlers will be trying to get to sleep tonight, knowing that Root is now batting without the weight of captaincy on his shoulders.

A truly amazing batsman, if not our greatest captain. Plus, when he smiles, he has that same indomitably cheeky grin as Rob Burrow.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 hours ago, DavidM said:

I think they put a stat up saying four fifties and ten hundreds since the start of last year ?

Has someone asked: How many times in the past (say) three years has Root been the highest scoring batter in an England innings?

The number of times he is the difference is quite extraordinary.

On 10/06/2022 at 11:15, ckn said:

I am very happy that I seem to know one small thing about cricket.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Is the trademarked English Batting Collapse happening?

Y'see how little I know about cricket?

• Haha 1