Cricket - Matches & General Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

FYI - England vs Australia World Cup to be shown on FTA and YouTube:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/60953084

Fantastic. Mind you, a 2am start? I may just check out the last bit of the match.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Having done a Jason Roy and opted out of paying a BT subscription to watch England lose to West Indies because of a barking Cricket schedule from June to mid-September. It is with interest that I note David Lloyd now freed from the shackles of COMCAST (SKY) now feels fre to let his true views become public.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-10673865/David-Lloyd-predicts-death-Test-cricket-ten-years-slams-Englands-batting-standards.html

Although it was an April 1st story in The Daily Telegraph that England's Men's team would be replaced by the Women's team. On a morer serious note one side has backbone and can not only pull out of a losing streak but win 5 eliminator games on the bounce and the other.....Heather Knight's girls could not do any worse.

I have been involved in Cricket ever since being the proverbial "knee high to a Grasshopper" and have never been more depressed as to the state of the game in this county. pre-season.☹️

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Sciver ran out of batting partners in the end, but it was a good effort.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

And Darren Stevens maintains his record of having taken a wicket in every championship season since he personally handed W G Grace his cap.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

50 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

And Darren Stevens maintains his record of having taken a wicket in every championship season since he personally handed W G Grace his cap.

And said ‘ good well young ‘un ‘

Breaking News: Joe Root has stepped down as England captain.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mmm , I wonder if phone calls were made urging him to resign rather than get sacked as he seemed set on staying on . Unquestionably the right decision , I’ll be very interested in where they go now . Only Root and Stokes are set in stone but I’d be reluctant to give it to Stokesy . That leaves a captain being parachuted in , is it Vince’s time ? Who knows , what a mess we’re in at present 

Joe Root may be gone but there's still an elephant in the room - I will let Graeme Fowler make the point

As a functioning governing body. The Ecb doesn’t function nor has any foresight for the English game and its place in world cricket. I for one have no confidence in their ability to further the game. #shambles.#oustthelot

https://twitter.com/GFoxyFowler/status/1515072915250814982

The fact that Rob Key gets to be Managing Director of Men's Cricket by default with Marcus North dropping out and both Alec Stewart and Paul Farbrace spurning the opportunity to apply for reasons I shall try to explain. It's simple, as I have posted before, the priority of the ECB used to be:

1 - Win the Ashes

2 - Win / Retain the 50 over world cup

Now it's

1 - Promote the 💯

2 - Ram T20 down peoples throat's.

Things will not improve while that mountebank Tom Harrison remains in post determined to leave the game well and truly in the cart with a 10 year SKY deal that depreciates over time with the only proviso being the retention of the 💯

It does not matter who is England captain unless the direction changes, results will be the same.

Joe Root was in the Alasdair Cook mould . Mr nice guy who tried to lead by example but was tactically inept and found out by the better teams. Cook himself said post Ashes that remaining in the captaincy role by default was not good enough. Towards  the end of his time in charge, Cook developed the Thousand Yard Stare. The look on the GI's face in the famous Vietnam war photo shot by Don McCullum. So too Joe Root by the end of the West Indies tour.

Edited by THE RED ROOSTER
Posted too early

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Yorkshire and Lancashire both win matches in the final session of the final day - and in both cases it looked like a three day win was possible.

County Championship being properly interesting to start the year.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 hours ago, DavidM said:

In other news , Rob Key has apparently beaten off strong competition from hardly anyone to land the managing directors job 

To repeat what I wrote elsewhere: a masterstroke from the ECB.

Not because he'll be any good because he almost certainly won't be.

But because he is so pally with the media set that the chances of any of them breaking free of the groupthink in which they operate are basically zero.

Anyone remember Schott's Miscellany? A popular Christmas stocking-filler for several years. Now I find that, in 2019, the writer Marcus Berkmann brought out a Cricketing Miscellany.

I'm a couple of chapters in and it is everything you'd expect it to be. Plus a source of excellent quiz questions.

Q1: Without Googling*, which batsman has the highest-ever test average of 112?

Q2: Which is the only international cricketer to have more initials in his full name than letters in his surname?

*or using other search engines, clever dick!

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Anyone remember Schott's Miscellany? A popular Christmas stocking-filler for several years. Now I find that, in 2019, the writer Marcus Berkmann brought out a Cricketing Miscellany.

I'm a couple of chapters in and it is everything you'd expect it to be. Plus a source of excellent quiz questions.

Q1: Without Googling*, which batsman has the highest-ever test average of 112?

Q2: Which is the only international cricketer to have more initials in his full name than letters in his surname?

*or using other search engines, clever dick!

Is it Chaminda Vaas

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Is it Chaminda Vaas

Q2 is, yes - Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Q2 is, yes - Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas.

First one is a cracker , no idea . I thought The Don had that record

Edited by DavidM

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

First one is a cracker , no idea . I thought The Don had that record

I thought so too, but such are statistics that a single, never-repeated test innings can trump a legendary talent. Take a bow, Andy Ganteaume! He also holds another cricketing record, as the longest-lived (to date) West Indian cricketer.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lancashire looking scarily good this year. An example of a Test ground county doing the right things. I hope they finish second in glorious style.

Meanwhile, after a decent start, Yorkshire could not unlock the Northants batting order.

Down the bottom, Somerset look weirdly bad and Glos like they are, somewhat expectedly, a bit out of their depth.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Lancashire looking scarily good this year. An example of a Test ground county doing the right things. I hope they finish second in glorious style.

Meanwhile, after a decent start, Yorkshire could not unlock the Northants batting order.

Down the bottom, Somerset look weirdly bad and Glos like they are, somewhat expectedly, a bit out of their depth.

Anderson , Hasan Ali , Mahmood and Parkinson as a county attack is very good . Maybe short lived ?

On 25/04/2022 at 11:11, DavidM said:

Anderson , Hasan Ali , Mahmood and Parkinson as a county attack is very good . Maybe short lived ?

Very short lived. Neither Mahmood or Parkinson playing today. No idea what the reasons are, but it's pretty poor imo for Lancs to not pick a spinner, and go with 5 seamers instead.