18 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Not too sure. Edgar's bids are pretty good. She may have more prize money than Ashton but Ashton got the card, however Ashton has to requalify. The women's game us strong. People forget that Suzuki was a dart or so away from being the first female to beat a male onstage. 

I've since looked it up. She basically needs to earn more than 50k in prize money to make it. Making the final would do it easy, if she gets to the semis she stands a good chance with the worlds still to come and a guaranteed 7500.

Ashton is as good as Sherrock but she seems to struggle on the big stage.

I watched a video recently about why there aren't more women players at the top level, and it made a good point about circumstances being difficult for women especially if they have children etc.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

So the worlds has started tonight. As a RL fan I've seen some odd formats, but this one is more than a bit strange. They play 3 R1 games and then one of the winners plays a R2 seed at the end of the night. The result will be one player in R3, while loads of players are still in R1. The best is that the player in R3 doesn't play again until the 27th! 

Oddly, despite first getting interested in darts in the late 90s, this will be the first real PDC Worlds I've followed. I think the timing of the event around Christmas has meant I've never got into it, whereas the old BDO one was in the first quiet weeks of the new year so I would've watched that.

I caught the end of last year's in passing but other than that, I can only remember seeing the Kirk Shepherd final which I think was big news at the time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

So the worlds has started tonight. As a RL fan I've seen some odd formats, but this one is more than a bit strange. They play 3 R1 games and then one of the winners plays a R2 seed at the end of the night. The result will be one player in R3, while loads of players are still in R1. The best is that the player in R3 doesn't play again until the 27th! 

Oddly, despite first getting interested in darts in the late 90s, this will be the first real PDC Worlds I've followed. I think the timing of the event around Christmas has meant I've never got into it, whereas the old BDO one was in the first quiet weeks of the new year so I would've watched that.

I caught the end of last year's in passing but other than that, I can only remember seeing the Kirk Shepherd final which I think was big news at the time.

The R1 is technically the preliminary round. Qualifiers etc. My pick tonight is Campbell to beat Lewis.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

2 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

The R1 is technically the preliminary round. Qualifiers etc. My pick tonight is Campbell to beat Lewis.

To borrow a term from our Aussie friends, in my short time watching darts I've learnt that Lewis is a grub.

Felt sorry for Sherrock losing a great match last night. I've been watching a lot while I've been off and she was very unlucky to get Steve Beaton.

He was averaging like 106 after two sets, and although he dropped he had that level to go to and did in the decider.

I reckon she could have drawn 75%+ of other first round players and would've won.

• Like 2

On 15/12/2021 at 20:40, Maximus Decimus said:

To borrow a term from our Aussie friends, in my short time watching darts I've learnt that Lewis is a grub.

he looks grubby - looks like he needs a good wash - a big fat sweaty cry baby bully - noticed he hasn't tried any of his bully tactics with former ru/rl player gerwyn price 

• Thanks 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

on the subject of gerwyn price i think the crowd have now "had their bit of fun" with him and should give it a rest now, after all he is the world champ and a talented entertainer- on his last walk in i actually felt quite sorry for him and thought it visibly affected him - lets move on and enjoy the show

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I thought Johnny the Ferret Clayton , superstar dartist of the year , was a gonner last night but did what top guys do and went into hyperdrive to see of his opponent .  I’m not convinced by MVG , it still looks harder work than it did for him .

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

on the subject of gerwyn price i think the crowd have now "had their bit of fun" with him and should give it a rest now, after all he is the world champ and a talented entertainer- on his last walk in i actually felt quite sorry for him and thought it visibly affected him - lets move on and enjoy the show

I think he thrives on it , and he brought it on with all his shouting and antics. When there was no crowd he said  he didn’t like it . I wouldn’t feel sorry for him though , he’s not very likeable up there and he’s making a fortune . The crowd in general though is a pain in the arris . Any new chants or songs would be greatly appreciated or just mute them out 

Edited by DavidM

5 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

I'm at this point. I don't think he does enjoy it, and it's just too much now. He probably needs to embrace it more rather than claiming he's not bothered after the match when he clearly is.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

It's open at the moment. One of the big four I feel will win it. Gary Anderson against Lewis shows his temperament. However who will be the not expected player to get to the qf or semis?

So hard to say, anyone on their day could pull off an upset which would massively open it up.

According to the seeding, the QFs would be Price vs Clayton, Wade vs Van Den Bergh, Wright vs De Sousa and MVG vs Anderson. Obvious challenges to this are Smith in Clayton's section, Cullen in Wade's (who was dreadful last night), Searle in Wright's, Chisnall in MVG's and Cross in Anderson's.

Of the real outsiders, I've quite liked the look of Lennon, Raymond Smith, and both Rodriguez brothers but it's different doing it for one match than for a few. I'm not sure you can class RVB as an outsider, but he looked like he could still provide a challenge last night.

Here's something I don't understand about top level darts.

I play with a set of Aspinall's darts and I've had them for about 8 months without ever sharpening them or anything. My board is starting to look a bit battered but is still more than useable.

Why is it that my darts seem to stay in and fall out much less than pro players? There was one Welsh player (Williams I think), whose darts were clinging on every time and loads fell out. Maybe I'm missing something?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I play with a set of Aspinall's darts and I've had them for about 8 months without ever sharpening them or anything. My board is starting to look a bit battered but is still more than useable.

Why is it that my darts seem to stay in and fall out much less than pro players? There was one Welsh player (Williams I think), whose darts were clinging on every time and loads fell out. Maybe I'm missing something?

Not sure, but I think it will depend on what board you’re using, the wire size and the distance you throw from.

Two seeds fall tonight.

My interest is on Gary Anderson who I picked up at 40/1 (tenner each way) a couple of tournaments back and he’s now come in to roughly 20/1 to 25/1.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Not sure, but I think it will depend on what board you’re using, the wire size and the distance you throw from.

Two seeds fall tonight.

My interest is on Gary Anderson who I picked up at 40/1 (tenner each way) a couple of tournaments back and he’s now come in to roughly 20/1 to 25/1.

I think that is a good price. Looking at the draw Rob Cross is the only player potentially good enough to stop an Anderson on form reaching the quarters. 

From them on he could face the top 3 players, but there may be shocks. 

I think MVG 9/2, Michael Smith 20/1 ew and Ryan Searle 33/1 ew may be value as they have all shown good recent form and averages even though they haven't won.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Niels said:

I think that is a good price. Looking at the draw Rob Cross is the only player potentially good enough to stop an Anderson on form reaching the quarters. 

From them on he could face the top 3 players, but there may be shocks. 

I think MVG 9/2, Michael Smith 20/1 ew and Ryan Searle 33/1 ew may be value as they have all shown good recent form and averages even though they haven't won.

Michael Smith looked strong last night. Doubles finishing was impressive and his 100+ tally was good too. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Two seeds fall tonight.

There was an interesting one last night that sort of highlighted my point. 

In the Raymond Smith - Devon Peterson match, Smith's darts went in perfectly and looked like mine do. However, Peterson's were clinging on every time and never looked like they were in comfortably. 

All I can think of, is that maybe it is a problem of having longer darts as I know there are players who go to crazy lengths with extremely grippy points.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Interesting point . I often think these are the best players but are they using the best boards ? They chew up horrendously , darts fall out regularly , and very often there’s some complaint by players about them . They have to change them so regularly . I’m no expert but the BDO when it was on had inferior players but seemed to have better ‘cleaner’ boards . Don’t know , just a perception 

Bit of a shock for dancing dimitri , but his German opponent played brilliantly. Michael Smith was awesome but that’s Michael Smith , you never quite know what’s coming next . I’m an Anderson fan but if he doesn’t do it I wouldn’t begrudge Smith the title - he’s got the game , just a case of his consistency and mentality in finals  .