Boxing Day matches

DoubleD

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

I've no idea i was just surmising ,iam sure i had read it on here a while back but must have been  mistaken.

No - it was said.  But it's not relevant.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 hours ago, Fevrover said:

Well Wakefield's team wasn't their premium team.

Did I say the teams would be premium?

It's an event with a pretty inelastic relationship with price. Charging the regular amount is the right thing to do unless you believe our clubs aren't in the business of making money. In which case maybe Rugby League isn't the sport for you.

56 minutes ago, M j M said:

Did I say the teams would be premium?

It's an event with a pretty inelastic relationship with price. Charging the regular amount is the right thing to do unless you believe our clubs aren't in the business of making money. In which case maybe Rugby League isn't the sport for you.

It's quite simple really you either pay £25 or you don't.

29 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

It's quite simple really you either pay £25 or you don't.

And plenty aren’t as tight as you and are quite happy to pay that to be entertained on Boxing Day. For those who can’t afford it, there’s the cheaper option of watching the stream

11 minutes ago, JT RL said:

How about starting the RL season with the 1st round on Boxing Day and the 2nd round on New Years Day. Two absolutely blockbuster fixtures. Finish the season a couple of weeks later. Win win aground.

But it was changed to Summer Rugby to make it a lot better wasn't it ?

Just now, DoubleD said:

And plenty aren’t as tight as you and are quite happy to pay that to be entertained on Boxing Day. For those who can’t afford it, there’s the cheaper option of watching the stream

How do you know my financial state enough to call me tight ? I paid £10 to Our League,  if fans want to pay £25 then that's up to them and I never said they shouldn't. But i wouldn't pay £25 for a friendly and plenty more wouldn't. 

1 hour ago, JT RL said:

How about starting the RL season with the 1st round on Boxing Day and the 2nd round on New Years Day. Two absolutely blockbuster fixtures. Finish the season a couple of weeks later. Win win aground.

To me that is how the Championship should start 

57 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

How do you know my financial state enough to call me tight ? I paid £10 to Our League,  if fans want to pay £25 then that's up to them and I never said they shouldn't. But i wouldn't pay £25 for a friendly and plenty more wouldn't. 

Correct 

3 hours ago, Fevrover said:

if fans want to pay £25 then that's up to them and I never said they shouldn't. But i wouldn't pay £25 for a friendly and plenty more wouldn't. 

The Leeds sporting market is also different to the Featherstone one. Fortunately.

7 hours ago, Griff said:

We've done that once and rejected it.

Nothing new under the sun. The zombie bad ideas keep coming back.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Nothing new under the sun. The zombie bad ideas keep coming back.

Its called an opinion , god forbid somebody be allowed one in your perfect world , traditionally holiday attendances were usually good , so add in a season start ( for the lower tiers ) and IMO it would be better than what we now have , free to add your opinion , or just have the usual ' dig ' 

47 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Its called an opinion , god forbid somebody be allowed one in your perfect world , traditionally holiday attendances were usually good , so add in a season start ( for the lower tiers ) and IMO it would be better than what we now have , free to add your opinion , or just have the usual ' dig ' 

I would suggest to you that the good holiday attendances for some, not all, clubs do not outweigh the reduced attendances in January and February.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

I would suggest to you that the good holiday attendances for some, not all, clubs do not outweigh the reduced attendances in January and February.

Agreed, together with the fact that the Championship season effectively ends at the beginning of September (not including the play offs), losing two of the best months for playing and watching RL, IMO.

The WC was cited as one reason for the very early start, taking into account the fact that most Championship players are only part-time and unavailable for mid-week games.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

Agreed, together with the fact that the Championship season effectively ends at the beginning of September (not including the play offs), losing two of the best months for playing and watching RL, IMO.

The WC was cited as one reason for the very early start, taking into account the fact that most Championship players are only part-time and unavailable for mid-week games.

Aye - and it would mean that any Championship players involved in the international game would need to keep themselves fit for two months between the domestic season and the internationals.

Non-starter is the word which springs to mind.

What do the faltering attendances for the play-offs in September reveal about the popularity of high-quality fixtures in that month ?

If I recall correctly, the final televised rounds of the JP/Regal Trophy in Jan/Feb were quite well supported. 

Archived