Match thread: Championship Rd 9. Bradford v Featherstone Rovers. Monday 25th April 2022.

marklaspalmas

Monday Night Footy live on Premier Sports this week and a trip to Odslum.

I feel this fixture has a real banana skin look about it. Bradford appear to be a limited mid-table side, but I'm wary of them, and they are a bit of a wounded animal at the mment. Their shambles of a pitch won't be easy. I think it will be a good test for us.

In terms of our matchday XVII there's plenty to speculate about, not least when Johnathon Ford will arrive. Not in time for this one I assume.

From our 30 man squad, we have three (Trout, Mathiou and Chizz) out on loan, plus Hardcase, Ferres, Gill and Pickers injured.

That still leaves 22. Perhaps Holmes and McConnell will go back out on loan after featuring v Barrow?

Jesse Sene-Lefao looks ready for his comeback. Cuthbertson was rested, and hopefully Smith will be fit again.

Question marks over Joey Leilua's fitness too.

I'd really like to see us build on the Barrow performance with solid wins against the Bulls, then Widnes, then the 1895 semi-final. That'd really set the season up.

• Like 1

The pitch is the issue. Playing them at our ground (or anyother regular-sized pitch) I'd be confident we'd beat them with plenty to spare, but the playing surface at Odsal is so narrow that it changes the whole appearance of the game, the gaps just aren't there. I watched the highlights of their game against Halifax and every single try was a bargeover from a play-the-ball a yard out.

Probably be a closer game than the formbook suggests, as it was when Leigh came here in the cup after hammering Bradford in the league. Still, I think we have more individual strike power than they do, and that should be enough.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

That still leaves 22. Perhaps Holmes and McConnell will go back out on loan after featuring v Barrow?

Holmes confirmed as going back to Sheffield for a 2-week period.

Agent Chisholm to beat Leigh single-handedly for London this week, then Agent Holmes to do the same for Sheffield against Leigh next week 😃

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Holmes confirmed as going back to Sheffield for a 2-week period.

Agent Chisholm to beat Leigh single-handedly for London this week, then Agent Holmes to do the same for Sheffield against Leigh next week 😃

Right. Well, that's the 21 man squad named then. 

I'd bring back Cuthertson and Leilua into the 17 on the understanding that we need the biggest heaviest 17 possible for a bit of biff and barge, just how Kear likes it. Not that Big Mac is shy either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Right. Well, that's the 21 man squad named then. 

I'd bring back Cuthertson and Leilua into the 17 on the understanding that we need the biggest heaviest 17 possible for a bit of biff and barge, just how Kear likes it. Not that Big Mac is shy either.

In theory Mathiou would be a possible for the 21, wouldn't he, his initial 2 weeks at Donny is up, though I wouldn't be surprised to see it extended.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

In theory Mathiou would be a possible for the 21, wouldn't he, his initial 2 weeks at Donny is up, though I wouldn't be surprised to see it extended.

Mathiou is back with Doyle going out to Hunslet for 2 weeks 

23 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

The pitch is the issue. Playing them at our ground (or anyother regular-sized pitch) I'd be confident we'd beat them with plenty to spare, but the playing surface at Odsal is so narrow that it changes the whole appearance of the game, the gaps just aren't there. I watched the highlights of their game against Halifax and every single try was a bargeover from a play-the-ball a yard out.

Probably be a closer game than the formbook suggests, as it was when Leigh came here in the cup after hammering Bradford in the league. Still, I think we have more individual strike power than they do, and that should be enough.

I'm sure Fev will win. Read somewhere that Lilley was complaining about pitch size after they lost to fax. Never heard any whinging when they have won on it. Its the same for both teams ( just like yours and ours ) hope you stuff them.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Not sure my guess at last weeks 17 was wrong so…

That's one thing about Mac he is nor afraid to mix things up.Must be difficult for opposing coaches.With Webster without injuries he went with his favourites and you could guess the time of substitutions down to the second.

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Right. So, there doesn't seem much point bringing Mathiou back if he's not going to have a run in the XVII on Monday.

I think there's a opening for him at some stage if he manages to impress in training because the minutes that Mac has given Field, McConnell and Trout when they have been in the 17 suggests he isn't sold on any of them. Mathiou isn't huge but he's bigger than any of that trio and his chase back to help save a try for Doncaster last week indicates he has lots of speed, not that that's of huge importance for a middle. I still think he has plenty to prove given the level he played at in Aus but he probably deserves a chance.

That said, if JSL is fit and Cuthbo back, there might not be any spaces unless Mac wants to rest someone else.

On 19/04/2022 at 21:16, The Phantom Horseman said:

I watched the highlights of their game against Halifax and every single try was a bargeover from a play-the-ball a yard out.

That's true PH  but to be fair I saw two teams lacking in ideas and just watned a slug fest I think with the potential offloads all through our pack we will be able to open them up and score some PROPER tries🤣

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

My 17 is:

MK

Luke Joey(Hellewell if not fit) Hally Gaga

Smith & Jacks

Wildie

Koppy Locky Bussey

Moors & JD

Bench: Jones, Cuthbo, Coops & Mathiou

Rest: Hellewell/Joey, Field, Jesse, McConnell

Don’t think that’s a million miles away if I’m honest 

Neither squad announced yet but Kear said in an interview this weekend that if Leeds hadn't sent them Sam Walters on DR this week "we’d likely have only been able to name a squad of 16 for Featherstone". Not sure I'm buying that but he did name eight injured players with two more doubtful ones and they did have a very physical game against Halifax last week, so I think they are going to be a bit beaten up and hopefully there for the taking, even with the narrow pitch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Neither squad announced yet but Kear said in an interview this weekend that if Leeds hadn't sent them Sam Walters on DR this week "we’d likely have only been able to name a squad of 16 for Featherstone". Not sure I'm buying that but he did name eight injured players with two more doubtful ones and they did have a very physical game against Halifax last week, so I think they are going to be a bit beaten up and hopefully there for the taking, even with the narrow pitch.

John kear BS 

Bradford boss John Kear has named his ASN Doors 21-Man Squad for this Monday's clash with Featherstone Rovers...

1 hour ago, POR said:

John kear BS 

Bradford boss John Kear has named his ASN Doors 21-Man Squad for this Monday's clash with Featherstone Rovers...

To be fair he might have been going through the motions to ensure he names 21, I'm not sure all those guys are fit - Sam Scott couldn't walk let alone return when he got injured last week and Kear has said he's out for a few weeks, there are a couple more in that squad who I think are carrying knocks at the least, and I think two of that squad have never played first grade and another only played a couple of games last year.

So whilst it wasn't literally true to say he might not have been able to name 17 I think it's possible he has only that number, or fewer, of his first-team squad available.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

To be fair he might have been going through the motions to ensure he names 21, I'm not sure all those guys are fit - Sam Scott couldn't walk let alone return when he got injured last week and Kear has said he's out for a few weeks, there are a couple more in that squad who I think are carrying knocks at the least, and I think two of that squad have never played first grade and another only played a couple of games last year.

So whilst it wasn't literally true to say he might not have been able to name 17 I think it's possible he has only that number, or fewer, of his first-team squad available.

Totally agree PH naming a 21 man squad irrespective of available players just to please the rfl does seem pointless

• Like 1

Why do the RFL insist on clubs naming a 21 man squad. when certain players are definitely on the injured list. as you say POR utterly pointless

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, haskey said:

Why do the RFL insist on clubs naming a 21 man squad. when certain players are definitely on the injured list. as you say POR utterly pointless

AFAIK, they don't insist on a 21 man squad, which is why for example Leeds only named 20 ahead of last nights game. If the Bulls choose to name injured players in their squad, that's their perogative. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb