Sylvain Houles says Toulouse should be exempt from relegation

11 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I think you'll find it is the owners of Super League clubs who decide who is in Super League - not the RFL.

When Leigh were last promoted - it was an ' independent ' decision.

Toulouse may not have been able to strengthen their squad given 2 players were in dispute,and they were paying all travel costs for the 'entitled ' elite clubs. 

Do Toulouse receive the full funding? If so then how much is the actual loss compared to Leigh's shortfall of just £1M awarded last term, the difference is Toulouse pay it every time a team visits for a league game, Leigh were forced to give it up all at once.

19 hours ago, Jughead said:

As you said in another thread Juggy "every game of the season does not have to have a meaning" if Sylvain gets his wishes that will mean at least 28 games this season have been meaningless. Good that isn't it.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

As you said in another thread Juggy "every game of the season does not have to have a meaning" if Sylvain gets his wishes that will mean at least 28 games this season have been meaningless. Good that isn't it.

I’m certain Toulouse would see it differently and they’d have every right to. 

• Haha 2

Interestingly, Sylvain in his plea to the SL bosses to save his club from relegation has not shown any compassion in saying no other team should be relegated, good job he wasn't one of the 3 Musketeers the famous quote would be changed to "All for one, and stuff anybody else"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do Toulouse receive the full funding? If so then how much is the actual loss compared to Leigh's shortfall of just £1M awarded last term, the difference is Toulouse pay it every time a team visits for a league game, Leigh were forced to give it up all at once.

Leigh weren’t FORCED to do anything last season.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Correct , it was a choice , probably a bad one , which it would have been for whoever got it , all to bail out SL and the magic weekend 

14 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

That's true, and I have stated my views many times on this subject, I would have told SL to shove it and let them suffer the consequences from Sky for not fulfilling their contract obligations. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You obviously don't like us , I'm asking why ?

I don’t dislike Leigh Centurions, I do find that there’s a small portion of Leigh fans here who can sniff out any mention of promotion and relegation and make it about Leigh every single time. It’s strange. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That's true, and I have stated my views many times on this subject, I would have told SL to shove it and let them suffer the consequences from Sky for not fulfilling their contract obligations. 

So why did you say forced to when they put an invitational bid together called 'Super League ready' to take up the SL place?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So not really a fair comparison  with Toulouse who earned their place in Superleague & then got shafted.

9 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I don’t dislike Leigh Centurions, I do find that there’s a small portion of Leigh fans here who can sniff out any mention of promotion and relegation and make it about Leigh every single time. It’s strange. 

So it's not Leigh the club , despite posting endlessly against it , it's me you dislike  , so I'm not allowed an opinion , so people ( fans ) coming on here is a bad thing ? , People ( fans ) taking an Interest in RL and discussing it on here is a bad thing 

Quite often it is others who bring Leigh into the discussion , usually in a derogative way , so you think we shouldn't defend our club ? , Why not ? 

Basically you just want us to ' know our place and stay there ' 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Total fabrication Juggy as well you know, your whole gripe along with others is that you can't stand anyone having a difference of opinion to yours.

Yes I am all for maintaining P&R how does that just effect Leigh Centurions, also I am firmly against locking any team in SL whilst others can effectively suffer jeopardy, if any team can not be relegated what is point of them playing for points, just wipe their points gained or lost from the records and let the other teams get on with it, if saving them from relegation is a way of saying they can experiment with players because the result is meaningless, then allow the other teams the same privaledge against them if the result doesn't matter.

I've argued that every team promoted should get a one year exemption from relegation. The problem with Sylvain's comment is the timing. It should have been said before the season started and left at that. Bringing in a rule like this half way through a season is unfair on other teams who would suddenly be at greater risk of relegation. 

The only way the rules should be changed now would be if all sides were exempted from relegation and the competition expanded to allow team working hard in the Championship to still realise their hope of promotion.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

17 minutes ago, Scubby said:

So why did you say forced to when they put an invitational bid together called 'Super League ready' to take up the SL place?

So if it had said ' not SL ready ' , would that have been better , it would appear Toulouse aren't SL ready , maybe they should have declined promotion and put Fev forward , I'm sure they'd have done much better ? , Probably not 

20 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So not really a fair comparison  with Toulouse who earned their place in Superleague & then got shafted.

If we hadn't been in the middle of a pandemic , they'd have picked Toulouse , is the pandemic now Leigh's fault 

19 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Correct yes they did earn there place in SL and good luck to them, now I will ask you a question when were they informed they were to "be shafted"

But the comparrison is the reduced funding probably costing Leigh as much as Toulouse footing the travel costs of the other teams.

Just now, GUBRATS said:

So if it had said ' not SL ready ' , would that have been better , it would appear Toulouse aren't SL ready , maybe they should have declined promotion and put Fev forward , I'm sure they'd have done much better ? , Probably not 

My point was Leigh willingly participated in a bid process and were not forced to do anything. IMO they were actually the best bid.

I am on record around this time last year as saying Leigh would have probably won a case to remain in SL had they gone down that path. The RFL/SL wouldn't have had a leg to stand on given the unfair nature of the competition rules.

The same probably applies to Toulouse in that they are being penalised yet a club from the same country are not. It is pretty shaky ground.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So it's not Leigh the club , despite posting endlessly against it , it's me you dislike  , so I'm not allowed an opinion , so people ( fans ) coming on here is a bad thing ? , People ( fans ) taking an Interest in RL and discussing it on here is a bad thing 

Quite often it is others who bring Leigh into the discussion , usually in a derogative way , so you think we shouldn't defend our club ? , Why not ? 

Basically you just want us to ' know our place and stay there ' 

Yes and all from a guy who wishes to stay anonymous in which if any team he supports, not just on the box either.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

My point was Leigh willingly participated in a bid process and were not forced to do anything. IMO they were actually the best bid.

I am on record around this time last year as saying Leigh would have probably won a case to remain in SL had they gone down that path. The RFL/SL wouldn't have had a leg to stand on given the unfair nature of the competition rules.

The same probably applies to Toulouse in that they are being penalised yet a club from the same country are not. It is pretty shaky ground.

Correct , in Leigh's case the extra money probably wouldn't have made any difference , as strengthening would have needed to have come from the southern hemisphere , and the pandemic was making that difficult 

IMO Toulouse should not have to pay anything other than their own travel costs 

• Like 1