On this day in 1999, Oliver Reed died while filming the Russell Crowe epic Gladiator. Reed had allegedly consumed 8 pints of beer, 12 shots of rum, half a bottle of whisky, and shots of cognac after challenging sailors from HMS Cumberland to a drinking contest in a pub.

He was arm-wrestling sailors when he collapsed.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 hours ago, Futtocks said:

On this day in 1999, Oliver Reed died while filming the Russell Crowe epic Gladiator. Reed had allegedly consumed 8 pints of beer, 12 shots of rum, half a bottle of whisky, and shots of cognac after challenging sailors from HMS Cumberland to a drinking contest in a pub.

He was arm-wrestling sailors when he collapsed.

It’s how he would have wanted to go 

Today in history …

The tomb of King Herod is discovered 2007

Vladimir Putin is inaugurated Russian President 2000

The Scream is recovered after being stolen 1994

Khruschev announces they’ve got Gary Powers 1960

Jodl signs unconditional surrender 1945 ( repeated the next day for the Soviets )

Norway Debate begins 1940

Condor Legion arrives in Spain 1937

U-20 sinks The Lusitania 1915

Greek independence 1832

World premiere of Beethoven’s 9th 1824

Palace of Versailles opened by Louis XIV 1664

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

On this day in 1765, HMS Victory is launched at Chatham Dockyards, however she is not commissioned until 1778.

Still commissioned as the fleets flagship 

• Like 1

Alan Bennett is 90 today.  Since the death of Jonathan Miller in 2019, he has been the sole remaining member of the great Beyond the Fringe quartet, the others being Peter Cook and Dudley Moore.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

On this day in 1386, England and Portugal confirm their alliance with the signing of the Treaty of Windsor. This is the longest continuous, unbroken political alliance that still continues to this day. 638 years to the day, we have been allied with Portugal. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

On this day in 1386, England and Portugal confirm their alliance with the signing of the Treaty of Windsor. This is the longest continuous, unbroken political alliance that still continues to this day. 638 years to the day, we have been allied with Portugal. 

Apart from when we play them in tournaments and they use underhand shenanigans to win 

On 09/05/2024 at 11:38, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Can i just say Mike Loades does a good documentary on this on history hit

• Thanks 1

Today in 1940 Churchill makes his ‘ blood toil tears and sweat ‘ speech as The Wehrmacht pours into France … 3 years later Axis forces surrender in North Africa . 

In 1917 the first apparition of Our Lady in Fatima reported 

1912 The Royal Flying Corps comes into being 

Jamestown colony settled 1607

On this day, 23 years ago, John Prescott punched a man with a regrettable mullet in Rhyl for throwing an egg.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 16/05/2024 at 09:27, Futtocks said:

On this day, 23 years ago, John Prescott punched a man with a regrettable mullet in Rhyl for throwing an egg.

Picked the wrong bloke. Prezza was a handy boxer in his merchant seaman days.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Dracula was published in 1897 , the battle of Monte Cassino ended in 1944 and Mount St Helens erupted in 1980 , John Bellingham is sentenced to death for killing Spencer Percival 1812 , Napoleon is proclaimed emperor 1804 … a year after Britain declares war on France