NRLW Increases To 10 Teams In 2023

42 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

Brilliantly put forward and informative comment . My only thought on that would be is the surplus in the NRL or to that point RFL such that the investment it is making is not being detrimental to its core product. I can totally understand say in football this is definitely not an issue , and for the NRL it may be a drop in the Ocean , I don’t know the answer but just posing the question. 

What is the *core product" of the RFL? Super League is supposedly a separate entity, so isn't the RFL supposed to grow the game?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

What is the *core product" of the RFL? Super League is supposedly a separate entity, so isn't the RFL supposed to grow the game?

Well I would say that without a flagship mens competition ( Super league )  there would be very little to speak of as a game , public interest would dwindle rapidly to nothing . To maintain a flagship mens league you need a grassroots structure that provides players . The amateur game has dwindled and is dwindling in the UK .  I don’t think this is such an issue in Australia . 

31 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

From a revenue generating perspective the core products of the RFL are the Challenge Cup and internationals. I do absolutely agree that it is within the RFL's to grow and develop the game.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Rocket said:

the high quality entertainment that the NRLW is once again providing.

This only becomes materially relevant when there`s an audience able and willing to recognize it. The experience of other sports indicates that investment in participation is the best means of delivering new demographics. It`s a slow process, and RL embarked on it very late.

Put bluntly, there are too many morons in the existing RL fanbase. Blokes who aren`t very clever like to signal that they are. Ostentatiously dismissing women`s RL is a tempting cheap shot even for genuine fans of the game, since they`re already spoilt for choice with 3 NRL games a week on FTA TV and 8 on STV at a modest cost.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Pulga said:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/03/28/new-nrlw-teams-announced-for-2025-competition/

2 more for 2025. Warriors and Bulldogs.

I really didn't think we needed another Sydney team yet.

Warriors was all but assured. Same compelling case for re-inclusion as for original inclusion in the 4-team NRLW.

Canterbury have lately invested across the board in female RL after previously seeming indifferent. Maybe hit by fear of missing out. Bulldogs under-17s and under-19s are at or near the top of the ladders in their respective NSW comps.

Storm or Dolphins would have been better in terms of geographic spread, but probably neither yet ready. 

I think the great thing about this is the NRLW's aggressive vision - they want to go even further than the NRL in terms of being the undisputed #1 club rugby comp. They'll continue to attract the best players in the world to play in the best environment.

• Like 5

On 28/03/2024 at 11:48, Pulga said:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/03/28/new-nrlw-teams-announced-for-2025-competition/

2 more for 2025. Warriors and Bulldogs.

I really didn't think we needed another Sydney team yet.

Out of curiosity then Pulga, who would be your other team (assuming you agree with NZ, which I'm pretty confident you are).

Candidates are Melbourne, South Sydney, Penrith, Redcliffe The, Manly.

3 are Sydney (ish). Melbourne has very little in the way of the women's game from what I understand. The are still setting up their men's team and NRL entity in general.

The dogs were late to the party, but from what I know are spending a lot of effort and money now. Western Sydney is quite under-represented. I think they were a good choice, bias be damned.

1 hour ago, stookie said:

Out of curiosity then Pulga, who would be your other team (assuming you agree with NZ, which I'm pretty confident you are).

Candidates are Melbourne, South Sydney, Penrith, Redcliffe The, Manly.

3 are Sydney (ish). Melbourne has very little in the way of the women's game from what I understand. The are still setting up their men's team and NRL entity in general.

The dogs were late to the party, but from what I know are spending a lot of effort and money now. Western Sydney is quite under-represented. I think they were a good choice, bias be damned.

Melbourne. The brand is already huge and it would all but kill the Rebels (RU) team. 

It's 2024. It doesn't matter if there are locals playing or not. The amount of NZ women you could attract to live in Melbourne with how much better the Aussie dollar is would be huge.

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

19 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Melbourne. The brand is already huge and it would all but kill the Rebels (RU) team. 

It's 2024. It doesn't matter if there are locals playing or not. The amount of NZ women you could attract to live in Melbourne with how much better the Aussie dollar is would be huge.

Fair enough. I personally would hold Melbourne back until the wages are high enough so the majority or all players could be full time.

Edit:

Looks like the storm don't think they are quite ready for a team, but are working towards one soon:
https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/2024/03/28/statement-from-ceo-justin-rodski/

"But there is more work that needs to be done to support an elite pathway and NRLW team on and off the field. The club is working closely with the NRL and other relevant stakeholders to address the current lack of infrastructure and facilities for an elite women’s team in Melbourne"

Edited by stookie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stookie said:

"But there is more work that needs to be done to support an elite pathway and NRLW team on and off the field. The club is working closely with the NRL and other relevant stakeholders to address the current lack of infrastructure and facilities for an elite women’s team in Melbourne"

Part of the pitch for public funding of the Broadmeadows COE was that it would be the base for a future Storm NRLW team.

In respect of fielding an immediately competitive team, Warriors might find recruitment difficult. A number of leading-lady Aucklanders are locked into contracts with Aussie clubs to or beyond 2025.

Should be easier for Bulldogs. Would be great to see them bring Haneen Zreika back from Giants AFLW.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pulga said:

It's 2024. It doesn't matter if there are locals playing or not. 

Pathways were instrumental in the original 4 licences. Arguably there weren't any full-blown Sydney clubs. Dragons got in through the development of female RL in the Illawarra. Roosters likewise Central Coast.

On this basis, Bulldogs are currently head and shoulders above Storm. Like the Sharks and Tigers bids in the last expansion, too strong to deny.

• Like 1