Jump to content

Wakey sign union winger


Recommended Posts


Posted (edited)
On 29/06/2022 at 20:37, OriginalMrC said:

Don't begrudge the guy the chance to join Wakefield but surely there are young players out there who would have been an option 

Not as simple as that. All clubs can only have so many young players ready in any one position. One in Murphy is already playing, the other Kershaw is injured. With Kay and Johnstone also out that leaves us thin on the ground. However Lineham should be adequate, but frankly he's gash and generally I avoid slagging off players.

If nothing else Warrington fans owe Powell for off loading that waste of space.

 

As an aside I've watched him in the reserves twice and he's actually pretty handy and probably more suited to RL than RU. Not suggesting he's the new Billy Boston but he'll go OK.

Edited by Kirmonds pouch
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Not as simple as that. All clubs can only have so many young players ready in any one position. One in Murphy is already playing, the other Kershaw is injured. With Kay and Johnstone also out that leaves us thin on the ground. However Lineham should be adequate, but frankly he's gash and generally I avoid slagging off players.

If nothing else Warrington fans owe Powell for off loading that waste of space.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Not as simple as that. All clubs can only have so many young players ready in any one position. One in Murphy is already playing, the other Kershaw is injured. With Kay and Johnstone also out that leaves us thin on the ground. However Lineham should be adequate, but frankly he's gash and generally I avoid slagging off players.

If nothing else Warrington fans owe Powell for off loading that waste of space.

 

As an aside I've watched him in the reserves twice and he's actually pretty handy and probably more suited to RL than RU. Not suggesting he's the new Billy Boston but he'll go OK.

Possibly its a pity this didn't happen 8 to 10 years ago for him then.

There must be young union players out there who are not in the top flight that would be better suited to our game than union, and will never play in the union top flight, but certain clubs need to do better when it comes to junior development in our game.

Edited by The Future is League
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Possibly its a pity this didn't happen 8 to 10 years ago for him then.

There must be young union players out there who are not in the top flight that would be better suited to our game than union, and will never play in the union top flight, but certain clubs need to do better when it comes to junior development in our game.

the issue there is that there are full time* players in tier three of English RU earning a SL squad player's salary and getting their summers off while still dreaming of making it... at level 2, full time is the rule rather than the exception. It's not just junior development, it's (as always) the availability or not of blunt, ready cash.

 

*not a vast number obviously, and not superstar wages.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, iffleyox said:

the issue there is that there are full time* players in tier three of English RU earning a SL squad player's salary and getting their summers off while still dreaming of making it... at level 2, full time is the rule rather than the exception. It's not just junior development, it's (as always) the availability or not of blunt, ready cash.

 

*not a vast number obviously, and not superstar wages.

……that’s because the super league salary cap constrains player’s wages at a pathetic level.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Well I thought he was Wakey’s best player in the defeat at Magic. He showed up well, strong running, breaks tackles and has some pace. He showed up well on the stats too that John Wells detailed. A good acquisition 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Well I thought he was Wakey’s best player in the defeat at Magic. He showed up well, strong running, breaks tackles and has some pace. He showed up well on the stats too that John Wells detailed. A good acquisition 

If you just ignore his missed tackles and Toulouse breaking down his side at will that is. Russell had a field day in that second half.

Edited by Damien
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 01/07/2022 at 21:20, iffleyox said:

t level 2, full time is the rule rather than the exception

Not sure after RFU cut funding to their Champ.  Most have gone part time.  Their crowds are no better than ours at tier 2. Bar Ealing it is going to be part time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Not sure after RFU cut funding to their Champ.  Most have gone part time.  Their crowds are no better than ours at tier 2. Bar Ealing it is going to be part time.  

Perhaps time to look at some young players in that league and see if they are capable of being TGG players to a decent standard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Perhaps time to look at some young players in that league and see if they are capable of being TGG players to a decent standard.

Most champ clubs based down south, Doncaster is the only one in our neck of woods

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Not sure after RFU cut funding to their Champ.  Most have gone part time.  Their crowds are no better than ours at tier 2. Bar Ealing it is going to be part time.  

no - that's supposition/likely to happen, but it hasn't happened yet.

As a direction of travel I wouldn't totally disagree, but I make it 8/12 clubs full time at the moment off the top of my head. The only ones that I'm actually sure aren't full time are Bedford, Richmond and Caldy*. I suspect London Scottish aren't either, but I don't know. 

Incidentally, I think you can add Doncaster in as certs to stay FT, given that this very morning they've put in planning permission for two new stands to take their seated capacity north of 10,000 and meet premiership minimum standards.

*and of those three at least two of them have got hybrid models with some full time players and some PT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Perhaps time to look at some young players in that league and see if they are capable of being TGG players to a decent standard.

there's a slight inversion effect going on though because level 2 clubs have (more or less) grown dependent on the central funding, such that some of them are on or near the skids without it. Level 3 hasn't had any funding to speak of for years, so is more used to raising its own cash. At the moment, in so far as anything it happening at all in terms of the effects of the funding issues at level 2, there is some indication of players either going abroad or from level 2 to level 3....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

no - that's supposition/likely to happen, but it hasn't happened yet.

As a direction of travel I wouldn't totally disagree, but I make it 8/12 clubs full time at the moment off the top of my head. The only ones that I'm actually sure aren't full time are Bedford, Richmond and Caldy*. I suspect London Scottish aren't either, but I don't know. 

Incidentally, I think you can add Doncaster in as certs to stay FT, given that this very morning they've put in planning permission for two new stands to take their seated capacity north of 10,000 and meet premiership minimum standards.

*and of those three at least two of them have got hybrid models with some full time players and some PT.

Funding went from 500 to less than 250k https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cityam.com/championship-rugby-club-chairman-increase-funding-to-clubs/%3famp=1 .

Nottingham went pt and so did scottish. They are going to have a closed shop in all but name and maybe let doncaster in to have a team in Yorkshire.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Funding went from 500 to less than 250k https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cityam.com/championship-rugby-club-chairman-increase-funding-to-clubs/%3famp=1 .

Nottingham went pt and so did scottish. They are going to have a closed shop in all but name and maybe let doncaster in to have a team in Yorkshire.  

Sorry yes I know the finding has been cut, I meant everyone going PT as a response was supposition/likely to happen but hadn’t yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, iffleyox said:

Sorry yes I know the finding has been cut, I meant everyone going PT as a response was supposition/likely to happen but hadn’t yet.

Ah my bad.  Got wrong end of the stick.  I think it will be part time once they pick final team and close door.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/06/2022 at 22:38, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Only big surprise for Wakefield fans is that it's taken so long to give him a go.  He's been doing well as a trialist in the successful reserves team this year whilst Lineham has been given chance after to chance to save face in Super League.  

Evans upgraded to 1st team for remainder of season whilst Lineham goes out on loan to Fev or joins his mate Chris Chester over at Leigh? 🙏

Everybody's happy.

 

On 30/06/2022 at 16:20, LeytherRob said:

Nah we're good with Blake Ferguson, Krisnan Inu and Josh Charnley thanks...feel free to send him Fev's way though!

There you go.  Job done. 👍

  • Haha 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.
 
 
Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...