37 of 42 back IMG’s proposal

22 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Nope. I’m answering Steve’s questions in good faith. He keeps asking the same ones of course so that might influence my tone of voice in the 57th reply, but there you go! 

Without what happened in 1995 Rugby League in this country would be a part-time, semi-pro sport. At best. We were literally dying on our a*** without a pot to p*** in, and Union was on the verge of going professional. But don’t let those minor details get in the way of anything. 

Minor details that were to be solved by the advent of the Sky deal but are still arguably worse now than then.IMHO You and I are unlikely to agree on anything RL (unless you come out and agree that it is crucial that the levels of semi professional rugby are vital to the sport and should be funded to such an extent that they can survive).

Personally if the choice was between a single top level funded to solely provide TV spectacle, and then totally amateur levels, or part time semi pro I would choose the latter everyday.

The justification for IMG seems to be that to paraphrase you RL is "dying....,and the NRL is on the verge of dwarfing us financially" and we have to do something about it.

That surely is what the original Sky Deal was supposed to do? It would seem that that reboot has failed in all that it was supposed to deliver, and it's unspoken aim of keeping the same small group of clubs at the top,and still relying on their owners to bankroll them year on year is its only success.

TBH I could write 10,000 words on how I see RL but the reality is that it would not make any difference, and would be wasting time that could be better spent doing something else.

On that note I am now going to the pub, tomorrow watching live RL,and on Monday I will resume work on one of my classic cars.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hemi4561 said:

Minor details that were to be solved by the advent of the Sky deal but are still arguably worse now than then.IMHO You and I are unlikely to agree on anything RL (unless you come out and agree that it is crucial that the levels of semi professional rugby are vital to the sport and should be funded to such an extent that they can survive).

I am delighted to confirm we agree about this. It’s why I want our only realistically monetisable product, the elite league, to be as successful as possible in order to provide the funds to do just that. Otherwise, we won’t have much at all. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

2 hours ago, Big Picture said:

A bit better, yes, but whether it will be enough remains to be seen.

LIkely he sees the game's bases as weak rather than solid, and considering the decline in the non-professional game and the player pool along with its aging fanbase that's an understandable view.

No , he like me and 99% of the people on here have no idea what they are going to do , those that profess to know keep replying with as Hemi described gobbledygook, which makes us think , they don't know either , but like to pretend they do 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hemi4561 said:

Personally if the choice was between a single top level funded to solely provide TV spectacle, and then totally amateur levels, or part time semi pro I would choose the latter everyday.

The justification for IMG seems to be that to paraphrase you RL is "dying....,and the NRL is on the verge of dwarfing us financially" and we have to do something about it.

That surely is what the original Sky Deal was supposed to do? It would seem that that reboot has failed in all that it was supposed to deliver, and it's unspoken aim of keeping the same small group of clubs at the top,and still relying on their owners to bankroll them year on year is its only success.

TBH I could write 10,000 words on how I see RL but the reality is that it would not make any difference, and would be wasting time that could be better spent doing something else.

On that note I am now going to the pub, tomorrow watching live RL,and on Monday I will resume work on one of my classic cars.

What have you got ? 

4 hours ago, steve oates said:

Many thanks you got there first. Better a thread of everyone's analysis of where we may believe things are becoming a problem in the game, and what ideas do we have on real life solutions.  I don't see how a "grading system" is the answer at all. The 66 pages so far seem to divide between "In IMG we Trust" and "In IMG we do not trust"........

For me I was an avid fan of watching the games live AND on SKY for many many years, but I have slipped into a take it or leave it mode in recent years. I think the pandemic is to blame for this. I am certainly looking forward to the new season and hope those who have also lost interest somewhat can start to come back. Certainly the World Cup must have stimulated re-growth of interest? Or has the cost of living crisis meant people have cancelled subscriptions to SKY with a heavy heart??

Part of the problem the clubs have is that many people have become more casual, we haven't seen a post pandemic attendance boost.

The grading system isn't everything, but what it does do is put in black and white where clubs are at and the sort of things they need to do to get to the top level the sport needs them to be. 

2 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

I think that is incredibly selfish personally.

A part time semi pro comp would not bring in money or interest, and the game at all levels would die as a result. But at least some people got to relive the good old days.

The future of the sport is what is being seriously considered here. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Part of the problem the clubs have is that many people have become more casual, we haven't seen a post pandemic attendance boost.

The grading system isn't everything, but what it does do is put in black and white where clubs are at and the sort of things they need to do to get to the top level the sport needs them to be. 

So we need a grading system to see that ? 

4 hours ago, steve oates said:

It's not for me Tommy with respect, I'd look to have the most attractive clubs fan wise all in Superleague and would push hard for Bradford Bulls and even Widnes to somehow get back into the mix...  Derbies and all that ........

I personally think that the attraction is the traditional clubs and their derby's. Not just to the locals but to northerners who have left to live elsewhere and look forward to seeing the game on SKYTV....  Certainly not Sheffield Eagles, not even if they got an "A" grade......

That is what I just said, our current strengths are in those core areas. But it is also vital that they are supported by other areas in a healthy environment. 

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So we need a grading system to see that ? 

Of course not and unless it answers why and how and restructures things to help it will achieve little.

• Thanks 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Amongst other things remember, but yes, evidently.

So CAS and Wakey don't know they need to sort out their grounds ? , Huddersfield and Salford ( and Leigh ) fan numbers , HKR a bit of both ? 

Seriously ?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So CAS and Wakey don't know they need to sort out their grounds ? , Huddersfield and Salford ( and Leigh ) fan numbers , HKR a bit of both ? 

Seriously ?

Its not just those things, its actually a hell of a lot more, its how and what framework is best to develop that in.

The past 25 years alone would suggest that most need some guidance yes.

• Like 1

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Its not just those things, its actually a hell of a lot more, its how and what framework is best to develop that in.

The past 25 years alone would suggest that most need some guidance yes.

They don't need guidance.

They need compulsion.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

I think that is incredibly selfish personally.

A part time semi pro comp would not bring in money or interest, and the game at all levels would die as a result. But at least some people got to relive the good old days.

The future of the sport is what is being seriously considered here. 

I think that it's no less selfish than you wishing that the chosen few survive at the expense of all the rest.

• Thanks 2