How to rebuild Scottish RL?

3 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

You need to make the step up to becoming competitive teams some day. Putting it off forever is not a realistic option. 

I repeat, it's not happening simply by having amateurs playing v test players in a World Cup.  

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

15 hours ago, EggFace said:

You sir sound like a SRU fan...but really Scottish Rugby League will never happen and just ask there Shinty teams.

SRU fan certainly not but I’ve played both codes love them both but RL is my game, theirs a passion for the game here albeit small, plenty of RU players love playing it, it’s just that the past SRL organisation have been so inactive at promoting the game we’re starting from ground zero. Hopefully this horrendous WC campaign will jolt them into doing something positive and try and build something sustainable 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Damien said:

You said the home nations have to come first when it comes to expansion at international level. Questioning you why that is the case is not writing anyone off and I noticed you have made no attempt to justify that view or answer the question.

What I do know is that the harsh reality of growing the game in Ireland is that it will be hard. It would take significant funding over a prolonged period of time. That is far more than the IRL can afford and which can be better directed elsewhere with better returns.

Ireland not a home nation? they represent all of Ireland including the North. It must be hard to get the respect for a team when people don't even consider who that team plays for.

i said home nations partly because this is a world cup in this country and the home nations are next door and it may drum up interest. The home nations are a waste of money if that's all we put into them, they need time and proper development. I doubt the RFL has done that. But the stuff that is going on in Ireland is promising and if the same can be implemented in Scotland and Wales then it can only be a positive. I worry when people just seem to toss aside nations that should be doing well in rugby but aren't instead of asking why or trying to do something about it as it is nations like Ireland or Scotland that are going to be a bigger return than Serbia.

I do believe that the European cup should include 3 or 4 more nations along with the established ones to improve their rugby and give them a chance at a world cup qualification. 

3 minutes ago, The Lad said:

Ireland not a home nation? they represent all of Ireland including the North. It must be hard to get the respect for a team when people don't even consider who that team plays for.

i said home nations partly because this is a world cup in this country and the home nations are next door and it may drum up interest. The home nations are a waste of money if that's all we put into them, they need time and proper development. I doubt the RFL has done that. But the stuff that is going on in Ireland is promising and if the same can be implemented in Scotland and Wales then it can only be a positive. I worry when people just seem to toss aside nations that should be doing well in rugby but aren't instead of asking why or trying to do something about it as it is nations like Ireland or Scotland that are going to be a bigger return than Serbia.

I do believe that the European cup should include 3 or 4 more nations along with the established ones to improve their rugby and give them a chance at a world cup qualification. 

Sorry that barely makes any sense.

• Like 1

Let’s not forget when the initial RU WC began, we sore many a cricket score, RL are way behind in WC development and if nations and governing bodies are keen to make the WC a regular worth while fixture then over the coming 5/6 WCs we will see a natural development of teams closing the gap 

1 hour ago, The Lad said:

Why would Ireland offer bigger returns than Serbia?

2 hours ago, Damien said:

You said the home nations have to come first when it comes to expansion at international level. Questioning you why that is the case is not writing anyone off and I noticed you have made no attempt to justify that view or answer the question.

What I do know is that the harsh reality of growing the game in Ireland is that it will be hard. It would take significant funding over a prolonged period of time. That is far more than the IRL can afford and which can be better directed elsewhere with better returns.

It's part of this obsession with recreating the Six Nations. Ireland shouldn't be ignored but lets be realistic. It will be very difficult to grow league when you have union and the GAA to compete with. The RFL should be working with Serbia and putting pathways on place. Red Star are known for producing talent for soccer. They could do the same for league one day.

1 hour ago, NW10LDN said:

It's part of this obsession with recreating the Six Nations. Ireland shouldn't be ignored but lets be realistic. It will be very difficult to grow league when you have union and the GAA to compete with. The RFL should be working with Serbia and putting pathways on place. Red Star are known for producing talent for soccer. They could do the same for league one day.

Agreed and I'd add Greece and Turkey there too. Terribly sad for so many reasons whats happened in Lebanon - rugby league only a minor example. 

• Like 2

On 22/10/2022 at 13:22, gingerjon said:

Australia, New Zealand, PNG and France?

I think you’ll find All bar France have heritage players playing. So France world champs. 

Edited by bobbruce

19 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I think you’ll find All bar France have heritage players playing. So France world champs. 

Play "La Marseillaise". Play It! GIF - Marseillaise ...

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)