Four Nations

eal

23 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

It really comes down to TV contracts.  Origin is back to all midweek games next year which frees up a weekend. Playing fewer games means less money…clubs will never agree to that.

In the next few years there’ll be another team, that adds an extra 24 games broadcast per year, with origin, perhaps a preseason comp, all stars, etc there’s a fair bit of content, I don’t think the players want to play any more than they do, along with the players union, health officials etc with head knocks & season/ career ending injuries I think players are more aware of prolonging their career, they’d probably play internationals yearly if the NRL configured a competition that was conference based or if they played each team once etc & even then it comes down to the financial stakeholders, do the broadcasters want international over NRL? Does it sell better? Do corporate partners want less exposure in the domestic market? Is their business transferable to an international market etc there’s heaps to work out

Edited by RippinandTearin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Fair shout mate - but I reckon you would agree with me - I said 'virtually no welsh' because when their anthem was played, there was hardly anybody singing. I don't think they scored any points so I didn't see anybody cheering.

And as I said above, it is not 100% northern, but the crowd was overwhelmingly northern in the majority. No?

No.

Almost every time these events are put on, the RFL tell us that the majority of sales are from the local region. Same with SJP.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

No.

Almost every time these events are put on, the RFL tell us that the majority of sales are from the local region. Same with SJP.

I'm talking about being at the actual game though. Not reading an RFL press release.

Any England game in London I have been to, is full of northerners.  Not exclusively of course, but most people I hear are clearly from up north. They may live in Lindon of course, I can't comment on that. Have you ever been?

Edited by Madrileño

11 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

I'm talking about being at the actual game though. Not reading an RFL press release.

Any England game in London I have been to, is full of northerners.  Not exclusively of course, but most people I hear are clearly from up north. They may live in Lindon of course, I can't comment on that. Have you ever been?

We've all been.

For internationals, it's always far more southerners than northerners, by accent.

And that data backs that up.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

70% of the 67k at Wembley for the 2013 semi final were from the local area. https://blooloop.com/download/rugby-league-world-cup-case-study/&ved=2ahUKEwjZlP-elaH7AhWKY8AKHRvjDYoQFnoECEEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2Lv-w7zDu4pnyxiCyt99oY

No doubt there will be Northerners living in London in there, but either way... 

That game did have a noticeably different crowd at it I would add. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

70% of the 67k at Wembley for the 2013 semi final were from the local area. https://blooloop.com/download/rugby-league-world-cup-case-study/&ved=2ahUKEwjZlP-elaH7AhWKY8AKHRvjDYoQFnoECEEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2Lv-w7zDu4pnyxiCyt99oY

No doubt there will be Northerners living in London in there, but either way... 

That game did have a noticeably different crowd at it I would add. 

I wasn't at that game but that 70% figure certainly tallies with what I experienced at the NZ and Australia games at the Olympic Stadium. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Damien said:

I wasn't at that game but that 70% figure certainly tallies with what I experienced at the NZ and Australia games at the Olympic Stadium. 

It suggests there were around 20-25k travelling down from the North, which tallies with crowds we see in the North, so it does pass the sniff test. 

I think we probably take that amount regularly, and whether we get 40k or 67k depends on how well we have engaged with the wider public. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It suggests there were around 20-25k travelling down from the North, which tallies with crowds we see in the North, so it does pass the sniff test. 

I think we probably take that amount regularly, and whether we get 40k or 67k depends on how well we have engaged with the wider public. 

Correct generally I think. The only time we dropped below 40k to 35k was on a Sunday and there seemed to be fewer Northerners who travelled. 

Edited by pahars
  • Like 1