RL clubs with football clubs as rivals

Eddie

12 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Don’t want to go cross code but it’s the lack of Anglo Welsh games that has hurt RU in Wales. Get them playing Bristol Bath Gloucester every season that would soon turn around. 

They've had the Anglo Welsh cup and they do meet in European competitions.

The problem with union in Wales is that nobody cares about the regions.

People who used to love and support their local clubs are only really bothered about the international games these days.

Most lads that play the amateur game don't follow the pro game outside of Wales games.

As I've said before, there's more Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham, Everton, Liverpool, Man United and Man city fans in Wales then there are rugby union fans.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

People who used to love and support their local clubs are only really bothered about the international games these days.

Most lads that play the amateur game don't follow the pro game outside of Wales games.

As I've said before, there's more Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham, Everton, Liverpool, Man United and Man city fans in Wales then there are rugby union fans.

But the Welsh National Union team gets bigger crowds then the Football national team...I think even in Scotland that 98% of the country waste there time watching the different leagues in Scottish Football yet the Scottish Rugby team gets better crowds or has more interest and same can now be said if the Irish Union team.

Can not stand Football.

16 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

The biggest argument you’ll ever find against Manchester Lions etc

11 minutes ago, EggFace said:

But the Welsh National Union team gets bigger crowds then the Football national team...I think even in Scotland that 98% of the country waste there time watching the different leagues in Scottish Football yet the Scottish Rugby team gets better crowds or has more interest and same can now be said if the Irish Union team.

Can not stand Football.

Welsh football team would sell out the (as was) Millennium Stadium three times over these days but choose to play at Cardiff City as they feel it’s ‘home’, with a record to match. 

EDIT - Scottish national RU team better supported than the football team?!?!?! 😂 😂 😂 

Edited by Leyther_Matt
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Can not stand Football.

Crowds are irrelevant. It's a national coming together that's been cultivated for years and years. Pubs are full during the Six Nations, lots of passion etc. But most are not rugby fans, they're Wales fans. Which is what English rugby league should be aiming for.

Football is much bigger in week to week support, participation and general hearts and minds.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Welsh football team would sell out the (as was) Millennium Stadium three times over these days but choose to play at Cardiff City as they feel it’s ‘home’, with a record to match. 

EDIT - Scottish national RU team better supported than the football team?!?!?! 😂 😂 😂 

Haha. Yeah there's probably 10 times the amount of Rangers and Celtics fans alone than there is people who care about Rugby Union in Scotland.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Welshleaguelover said:

Haha. Yeah there's probably 10 times the amount of Rangers and Celtics fans alone than there is people who care about Rugby Union in Scotland.

But Scotland is a Sporting Wasteland as there Football is and never had a good Boxer since's the 1970s...Ireland bloody impressive.

2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

6 Nations is massive Scotland compared to the shithouse national team, even Ireland Rugby Union competes well against the 2 national teams.

I wish Rugby League had these problems.

2 hours ago, Welshleaguelover said:

Rangers and Celtic are not Sport just bigoted ######s who couldn't run for a bus never mind kick a ball...awful fans.

31 minutes ago, EggFace said:

But Scotland is a Sporting Wasteland as there Football is and never had a good Boxer since's the 1970s...Ireland bloody impressive.

What are you talking about? Josh Taylor is one of the top boxers in the world right now? They've had Ricky Burns and Scott Harrison too over the last 10-20 years.

Rangers were in the Europa League final last year.

7 hours ago, EggFace said:

6 Nations is massive Scotland compared to the shithouse national team, even Ireland Rugby Union competes well against the 2 national teams.

Have you ever even been to Scotland?! You’re so way off the mark with this one it’s unreal. The rah rah types that infest Edinburgh during the Six Nations are roundly despised by the locals to such an extent that RL would probably sadly get tarred with the same brush even though we could arguably thrive with such a backdrop  

I’m absolutely not one to defend either cheek of the artists formerly known as Rangers, but they took more to Seville than can even fit in Murrayfield 😂 

Don’t think for a second that just because incompetence limits Hampden to 52,000 that that’s the ceiling of footballing interest. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, EggFace said:

I've just shown your post to a neighbour in the flats where I live, he's from Glasgow,  he almost wet himself with laughter. 

Football is the sporting passion of Scotland,  the Tartan Army the most devoted national following probably in all International Football. 

You're confusing ground capacity with level of fans. If Scotland played football at Murrayfield they'd sell out every game many times over.

There's only one country that plays Union and Soccer where the folk care more for Union and that's New Zealand.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

There's only one country that plays Union and Soccer where the folk care more for Union and that's New Zealand.

Potentially Australia, the next hosts of the FIFA WWC.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I thought about that, not sure it's true. There's a lot of soccer fans in Oz, mainly supporting Premier League teams,  or European sides, depending on their heritage,  not sure Union gets huge support. The only truly national sport in Australia seems to be cricket followed closely by Rules. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think soccer is bigger than Union in Australia these days; more clubs, more players and more fans, particularly when you discount the national team. 

Edit - c.2,200 soccer clubs and 767 Union. 2m soccer players (allegedly) and 86k Union players. 

Edited by Eddie

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I think soccer is bigger than Union in Australia these days; more clubs, more players and more fans, particularly when you discount the national team. 

From a distance, that's how it looks to me sometimes but the posters on here from Oz suggest that football is smaller than we think.

Honestly, I don't know but I suspect that even if union is 'bigger' now then that won't last much longer.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

From a distance, that's how it looks to me sometimes but the posters on here from Oz suggest that football is smaller than we think.

Honestly, I don't know but I suspect that even if union is 'bigger' now then that won't last much longer.

I suspect for the next week and a bit the most attention will be on the Kangaroos, then after the 19th the Socceroos, with the Wallies,  sorry Wallabies,  third for interest.

Edited by HawkMan

18 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I thought about that, not sure it's true. There's a lot of soccer fans in Oz, mainly supporting Premier League teams,  or European sides, depending on their heritage,  not sure Union gets huge support. The only truly national sport in Australia seems to be cricket followed closely by Rules. 

You will also find there are lots of junior clubs that run sides in different age groups, These tend to drop off though as they get older.

Football also has a hooligan problem in Australia. Many of the teams were originally set up by European immigrants so there is a certain amount of 'tribalism' involved. I remember the Aussie results being put in the paper for football pools purposes back in the 60s & 70s - they had names like Hellas, Croatia, Juventus and Yugal. These teams are still around but under different guises.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

A-League attendances have certainly dropped since the halcyon days of Emile Heskey and Robbie Fowler, but there are hundreds of thousands of kids playing in schools whereas seemingly Union is mainly played in private schools? I can imagine a lot of parents would prefer their kid to play soccer to any of Union, League or Aussie Rules. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HawkMan said:

I've just shown your post to a neighbour in the flats where I live, he's from Glasgow,  he almost wet himself with laughter. 

Football is the sporting passion of Scotland,  the Tartan Army the most devoted national following probably in all International Football. 

You're confusing ground capacity with level of fans. If Scotland played football at Murrayfield they'd sell out every game many times over.

Footballs wasted on Soccer as part from the big firm teams and the a few in your premiership its crowds are pretty poor.

4 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Footballs wasted on Soccer as part from the big firm teams and the a few in your premiership its crowds are pretty poor.

Its a country of 5 million people in a league that is a forgone conclusion, the crowds are fine.

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Its a country of 5 million people in a league that is a forgone conclusion, the crowds are fine.

Compared to Ireland with the same population and have 4 codes I think Scotland is pretty poor when it comes for team Sports in the UK.

11 hours ago, Welshleaguelover said:

What are you talking about? Josh Taylor is one of the top boxers in the world right now? They've had Ricky Burns and Scott Harrison too over the last 10-20 years.

Rangers were in the Europa League final last year.

And that's it but hopefully the sport will grow again but it's like it was first half of the 20th century.

Edited by EggFace