RLWC21 Legacy

Tosh

4 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Maybe, I'm not English mother tongue. 

Though I'm led to believe that's not the issue.

They have SOO, we don't. We envy them and hate it.

It's not my issue. Don't put your words into my mouth 

• Thanks 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

4 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Maybe, I'm not English mother tongue. 

Though I'm led to believe that's not the issue.

They have SOO, we don't. We envy them and hate it.

I don’t envy it. I just have no interest in it as a sporting concept.

But on the other hand I used to love the old trans-Tasman 3 test series between Australia and NZ.

in fact I’d rather watch England v NZ at Union than watch state of origin.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tosh said:

And have a bigger impact overall compared to origin.

Which has a bigger impact than any Int rl game.

We haven't sold out any WC semifinal and want to fight Origin with the Int game? 

Aussies have their agenda, but we're not helping ourselves. 

Back on the comparison with int ru, they have more competitive nations than us. If we had them, we'd have those events.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

1 minute ago, MatthewWoody said:

But you don't watch Origin for your ideas against it as a concept, or because SOO aren't good enough for you? 

I don’t watch it because I have no interest in it. 

Just like I had/have no interest in the war of the roses or the Harlem globetrotters or the rose bowl game etc.

• Like 1

One legacy will be a large number of community clubs with capital investments. That's tremendous.

I do fear that we've pulled the wool over the Government's eyes though and a second legacy is that that sort of investment will be hard to justify again.

Another positive: women and wheelchair RLWCs breaking through. England women have a very good chance of making it to OT and the wheelchair lads can win the thing on Friday. Both will get very good TV numbers, the women potentially huge. Monday night's game is massive.

Very sadly, the legacy for the men's game will be Shaun Wane's lads running out at Warrington against CNAS in front of 5k.

Edited by Archie Gordon

I tend to agree with @MatthewWoody here. Origin is a huge success in every way. The intensity, the level of the game, the passion, the commercial benefits. When you hit on a winning formula you don’t scrap it - you try to replicate it.

And you don’t ‘dumb down’ a concept to the lowest common denominator.

it’s up to the international game to raise its level (in terms of spectator interest, commercial gains etc) to that of Origin.

I’m fairly sure that if we had more competitive international games, that would happen. Currently the international game is all over the shop.

Origin has really just capitalized on an opportunity.

Yes, that needs Australia to fully buy into the international game. But I think it has.  it has done quite a bit for the Pacific islands and PNG.

It’s not Australia’s fault we just can’t seem to offer a decent level of competition 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, MatthewWoody said:

Which has a bigger impact than any Int rl game.

We haven't sold out any WC semifinal and want to fight Origin with the Int game? 

Aussies have their agenda, but we're not helping ourselves. 

Back on the comparison with int ru, they have more competitive nations than us. If we had them, we'd have those events.

Union doesn’t have a domestic fixture similar to that of origin holding back the international game.

I don’t watch it because I have no interest in it. 

Just like I had/have no interest in the war of the roses or the Harlem globetrotters or the rose bowl game etc.

So you lose great game of rl. Good for you. 😉

Mentioning the rose bowl and the Globetrotters is bizarre, as they're not competitive games, while Origin is.

2 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

I tend to agree with @MatthewWoody here. Origin is a huge success in every way. The intensity, the level of the game, the passion, the commercial benefits. When you hit on a winning formula you don’t scrap it - you try to replicate it.

And you don’t ‘dumb down’ a concept to the lowest common denominator.

it’s up to the international game to raise its level (in terms of spectator interest, commercial gains etc) to that of Origin.

I’m fairly sure that if we had more competitive international games, that would happen. Currently the international game is all over the shop.

Origin has really just capitalized on an opportunity.

Yes, that needs Australia to fully buy into the international game. But I think it has.  it has done quite a bit for the Pacific islands and PNG.

It’s not Australia’s fault we just can’t seem to offer a decent level of competition 

Haven’t the pacific tests played during origin just been scrapped?

Just now, Tosh said:

Union doesn’t have a domestic fixture similar to that of origin holding back the international game.

You're inverting cause and effect.

Origin is so strong because the Int game is not interesting enough.

About holding back, they even let players keep playing Origin even when they choose to represent nations other then Aus.

3 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Haven’t the pacific tests played during origin just been scrapped?

Honestly don’t know, probably because there isn’t really a set international calendar and organizing bodies just seem to play games whenever they want. And that’s the problem.

6 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

You're inverting cause and effect.

Origin is so strong because the Int game is not interesting enough.

About holding back, they even let players keep playing Origin even when they choose to represent nations other then Aus.

For now.

They keep chopping and changing the rules for origin selection every 5 minutes.

9 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Mentioning the rose bowl and the Globetrotters is bizarre, as they're not competitive games, while Origin is.

Like I said I’ve got no interest in a interstate rivalry.

I guess it comes down to preference and I have no interest in state rivalries over international ones.

5 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

Honestly don’t know, probably because there isn’t really a set international calendar and organizing bodies just seem to play games whenever they want. And that’s the problem.

I’m sure “players health” played a bit part in it too from an NRL perspective.

15 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

Queensland won 8 straight series from 2006-2013.

they’ve also won 13 out of the last 17 series.

Not quite as competitive as you’d think.

Queensland won 8 straight series from 2006-2013.

they’ve also won 13 out of the last 17 series.

Not quite as competitive as you’d think.

Hmm, still NSW won more matches and series than England vs the Kangaroos.

When QLD win, they celebrate.

When Aus beat us, they're relieved. 

Ps: maybe language issue here, but by competitive I meant they play to win, not as an exhibition like the Globetrotters. 

Edited by MatthewWoody

1 hour ago, Tosh said:

Because a combined “pacific” team playing in the NRL would only be and could only be based in NZ for financial reasons whilst a combined pacific team playing in the NSW cup or Queensland cup would be based in the pacific like the silktails and hunters are.

I’m fairly sure the Silktails are based in Australia, but yes agreed if there could be a Q or NSW cup team in Samoa it would be great 👌 

23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’m fairly sure the Silktails are based in Australia, but yes agreed if there could be a Q or NSW cup team in Samoa it would be great 👌 

Silktails and hunters have been based in Australia for the past 2 years due to Covid19.

All of the hunters and silktails players are chosen from the domestic competitions in Fiji and PNG respectively apart from the odd guest player. 

• Thanks 1

I really don’t think it’s origin or international footy. You can have both. In fact it seems very likely that the NRL are going to create an end of year window, every year. Pacific cup or something similar, assume it will be a six team competition made up of the Oceania quarter finalists.  Sure, some may say you need both during season and after season but it’s a hell of a start. 

The RFL are hoping to host NZ next year for a 3 test series (Still not confirmed though) France also wants to host a test v NZ however they are struggling to get the NZRL to agree a date prior to matches in England (Quote from the FFR13 nothing seems to happen unless the NRL agree:(

2024 again RFL hoping to host 3 test matches v Australia 

April 29th France will play England away.

France 2025 venues will be announced ASAP with some really fantastic venues and a fixed ticket price of around 30 euros (More for corporates)

Favourite venue for the Final NICE 🙂

P

4 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

April 29th France will play England away.

I do hope so. But wouldn't a better legacy be that weekend featuring a men's, women's and wheelchair game with all of it on terrestrial TV and either the men's or women's game at a medium-sized London venue?

In particular, if we can't make headway on the women's game pulling in 1.2m on BBC2 - and how many more for the SF and possibly the F? - then that will be a massive failure.

10 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

In particular, if we can't make headway on the women's game pulling in 1.2m on BBC2 - and how many more for the SF and possibly the F? - then that will be a massive failure.

The problem is we have seen zero tangible evidence that the RFL are doing anything at all to take advantage.

I've seen nothing.

Where's the drive for an increase in participation across our disciplines?

Where's the opportunity for people to continue to view and buy tickets to England RL beyond this next week?

Nil. 

That's the problem. That's why we are on a path to not take advantage of the huge interest we have had from the last few weeks. If we don't make it easy for people to engage with us, they won't.

• Like 3