1. 1. Who will win?

• Australia by 13 points or more
    • Australia by 7 to 12 points
    • Australia by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/11/22 at 13:45

10 minutes ago, MZH said:

It's been a very poor tournament in terms of the number of competitive, exciting games. Off the top of my head I'd say there have been 5 or 6 really entertaining games, a couple of decent ones, and dozens of absolute snoozefests.

That’s probably the same for most world cups in most sports.

I think the tournament has been brilliant I’m going to miss it

• Like 3

The Australians aren't a particularly big team but they are superb athletes and are strong enough to dominate the Kiwis in the tackle and fit enough to defend all game.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The jillaroos defence is just outstanding 

The Jillaroos' everything is - this is a very special side.

Calling it the female version of the 1982 Kangaroos isn't an exaggeration; it is a statement of what the game's future looks like and a challenge to everyone else to try and catch up.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Mark S said:

The Kiwis have bottled it, I would rather have seen the England players at least giving 100% and losing, than this .

That's harsh.

All the teams have played games with short turnarounds and only the Aussies have the strength in depth to 'rest' 7 players for a semi final.

Australia are just too good.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Calling it the female version of the 1982 Kangaroos isn't an exaggeration; it is a statement of what the game's future looks like and a challenge to everyone else to try and catch up.

Yep, I’ve said all along they are the most impressive team in this whole World Cup.

Theyre going to put 50 on NZ today and NZ are no mugs

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The Australians aren't a particularly big team but they are superb athletes and are strong enough to dominate the Kiwis in the tackle and fit enough to defend all game.

They’re not a small team though. They’re probably bigger than most of their Kiwi counterparts. As you say, they’re all athletes 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MZH said:

It's been a very poor tournament in terms of the number of competitive, exciting games. Off the top of my head I'd say there have been 5 or 6 really entertaining games, a couple of decent ones, and dozens of absolute snoozefests.

The FIFA version starts tomorrow. You ain’t seen nothing yet.

21 minutes ago, MZH said:

I disagree, I’ve really enjoyed most games, even if they have been one sided. The skill and quality on show has been great entertainment 

• Like 4

Just now, DoubleD said:

They’re not a small team though. They’re probably bigger than most of their Kiwi counterparts. As you say, they’re all athletes 

There's a deal of confusion between forwards and backs, not because the forwards are small, but the backs are tall and powerful*. There are some good smaller players, like Caitlin Moran (not the journalist) who have represented Australia, though.

*Plus the nonsense Australian shirt-numbering gimmick. 🙄

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The future will very much mirror the men’s game IMO with a professional women’s league in Australia meaning they will dominate for decades to come.

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

I disagree, I’ve really enjoyed most games, even if they have been one sided. The skill and quality on show has been great entertainment 

I agree.  Of there were some blow outs but the quarters and semi's in the men's stepped up the competitiveness while some of the women's games have been excellent. 

Add in the Wheelchair comp and the last 2 or 3 weeks in particular have been fantastic. 

• Like 1

The Ferns really need to have the NZ Warriors back into the WNRL a.s.a.p. Get more Kiwi players competing with the best, as well as the existing WNRL players.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Worth bearing in mind that the Kiwis are coming off a short turnaround.

I think the big stadium certainly exacerbates and lays bare the gulf in composure and class, but NZ are tired and lethargic.

The Jillaroos played on the same day as the ferns. 
The difference is the Jillaroos could afford to rest 7 starters and not miss a beat

• Like 1

Four Jillaroos waiting for that pass and they all had space in front of them.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

24 minutes ago, JonM said:

And yet somehow we have managed to play premiership finals, grand finals and even test matches against Australia going back to the 1980s without it being a problem.

You say it hasn't been a problem. I have seen countless instances of Antipodean players at risk of injury due to not being familiar with the restrictive dimensions of the in-goals.

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

The Ferns really need to have the NZ Warriors back into the WNRL a.s.a.p. Get more Kiwi players competing with the best, as well as the existing WNRL players.

Absolutely but also playing in the same side and developing understanding. They didn’t look connected as a side.

The short turnarounds need to be looked at for the women’s game though, there’s a player safety issue at hand. I’m amazed they’ve had continual short turnarounds throughout the tournament, particularly when they’re amateur players 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mark S said:

The Kiwis have bottled it, I would rather have seen the England players at least giving 100% and losing, than this .

Mate that’s not bottling in it’s just another level of play. On a dry track this is the potential of a jillaroos side. England would’ve lost 100-0 giving 100%. Superior athletes to the rest of the women’s game. It’s the speed and fitness that’s killing the kiwi ferns and would kill England. That’s the level that needs improving across the board is the athletes need to catch up but the NRLW will help that across the board 

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

Absolutely but also playing in the same side and developing understanding. They didn’t look connected as a side.

The short turnarounds need to be looked at for the women’s game though, there’s a player safety issue at hand. I’m amazed they’ve had continual short turnarounds throughout the tournament, particularly when they’re amateur players 

What is it? 5 games in 18 or 19 days?

Not fair on these players IMO.

• Like 2