Salford FC move to AJB is OFF

26 minutes ago, Damien said:

I've not defended them and have been critical of them.

But you're telling me I'm "negative", whilst you're "critical"?

SRD fully deserve negativity and criticism.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dboy said:

But you're telling me I'm "negative", whilst you're "critical"?

SRD fully deserve negativity and criticism.

I've already said why and your posts on various threads speak for themselves. I mean the Cas thread is exactly the same, well actually it is far worse. As I said it gets boring, especially the high and mighty attitude because Wakefield got lucky and had the support of their council. I am happy that they did, just as I am happy Salford have too.

Others can make up their own minds and their is no point going round in circles so I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, del capo said:

Swinton have not belonged to Salford for more than 30 years........

They left Station Road in 1992. But played at Moor Lane and The Willows more recently (most recently 2011).

You could say they haven't played in Salford for a long time - but 'belong', I'd say they certainly do.

Most of their fans still seem to be from in and around Swinton and they have chosen to keep the name. The club's administration is still based in Swinton and the Mayor of Salford even mentioned them in his recent statement about rugby in the city.

It has never been a choice to leave the area, it was necessity - If the Council had provided them with the support they have the Salford club, then I'd expect Swinton to still be playing somewhere in that area. 

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, del capo said:

They moved out of Station Road in 1992 and I believe have  not played anywhere else in Salford since then.

Apologies, I though you meant the town of Swinton, stolen years ago by Salford so they could get their hands on a nice civic centre.

Incidentally, the Lion's web site gives their postal address as Worsley Rd, Swinton.

8 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Perhaps " negative" should be replaced by "obsessed". After all, there are lower-league clubs whose "sham club" status might also be reviewed: Bradford, Newcastle, Wakefield....

Bradford certainly were a sham, but they do seem to have got back on an even keel.

Newcastle are victim of circumstance and geography - a merger with Hull FC may be in order (to save FC).

Wakefield aren't a sham. Mr Carter's stance of only spending what the club earned was undoubtedly both a blessing and a curse.

A curse because we weren't truly competitive, and a blessing because it stopped the club going under.

They didn't invest in the ground because they didn't own it - WMDC owned it and they failed to invest in it (you know, the one you think has done the club favours).

Carter paid all debt's in full, from the previous CVA (like the one SRD defaulted on and had written off), and eventually managed to secure ownership of the ground (once Mr Box, Leader of the Council, and a Cas member, left WMDC).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

They left Station Road in 1992. But played at the Moor Lane and The Willows more recently (most recently 2011).

You could say they haven't played in Salford for a long time - but 'belong', I'd say they certainly do. Most of their fans still seem to be from in and around Swinton and they have chosen to keep the name.

It has never been a choice to leave the area, it was necessity - If the Council had provided them with the support they have the Salford club, then I'd expect Swinton to still be playing somewhere in that area. 

My apologies. I stand corrected, They did indeed play at moor lane for 18 months and at the Willows for one season. Other than that though  not much of a history in Salford itself for the last 30 years. Their long suffering ( and travelling ) fans have to be amongst the most loyal in the game. They have been waiting for good news about a new stadium at Agecroft since 2006...........

• Like 3

1 minute ago, del capo said:

My apologies. I stand corrected, They did indeed play at moor lane for 18 months and at the Willows for one season. Other than that though  not much of a history in Salford itself for the last 30 years. Their long suffering ( and travelling ) fans have to be amongst the most loyal in the game. They have been waiting for good news about a new stadium at Agecroft since 2006...........

I agree with all of that.

The point of my original post on this (which you responded to) was that Swinton is administered by Salford City Council and as a Swinton institution the club and its fans could rightly feel hard done to. They've had a tough few decades without the kind of financing (in kind)/assistance from the Council that the Red Devils have received/are receiving.

If I were a non-Salford supporting local tax payer, I wouldn't be happy with the Council spending money in this way. If I were a Swinton supporting local tax payer, I think I would be furious.

• Like 3

I will balance my distaste for SRD 2024 though...

They left the old ground on the premise that they were to be gifted a new stadium, all-singing, all-dancing, primacy of tenure, with ready-made income streams. A bright future.

What they ended up with is killing the club!

How that deal was negotiated and agreed is beyond comprehension.

Had Mr Wilkinson passed by then? I can't imagine he'd have let the Barton deal stand as it does.

8 minutes ago, dboy said:

I will balance my distaste for SRD 2024 though...

They left the old ground on the premise that they were to be gifted a new stadium, all-singing, all-dancing, primacy of tenure, with ready-made income streams. A bright future.

What they ended up with is killing the club!

How that deal was negotiated and agreed is beyond comprehension.

Had Mr Wilkinson passed by then? I can't imagine he'd have let the Barton deal stand as it does.

I think you've made your point. Repeatedly.

Sometimes, it's knowing when to stop that counts.

Locked.

• Like 1