Is Your Club Doing This?

2 minutes ago, Griff said:

Many of the more progressive clubs have set up charities to carry out community work. Maybe their dads actually are bigger. In a metaphorical sense.

On the whole I've tended to look at the seemignly insurmountable barriers this sport has to engage a greater market share but clearly some wounds are self inflicted and taken great delight in.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Just a quick question on this: If you posted something less than positive for including PDRL etc does that mean your club don't have disability teams ?

Once again, there is no judgement here, even though I asked "Why not?" early on.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

As I put near the start , as in life , the richer and bigger profile you have , the easier you tend to be able to access ' outside ' funding 

I don't think it's about being rich or having a big profile.   It's about knowing how to get funding.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Just a quick question on this: If you posted something less than positive for including PDRL etc does that mean your club don't have disability teams ?

I still think you're missing the point. Yes, clubs do have PDRL and LDRL teams - Hull FC LDRL played Sheffield last year, for instance - but if we relied on interclub games, there wouldn't be much PDRL or LDRL played.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Griff said:

I don't think it's about being rich or having a big profile.   It's about knowing how to get funding.

yes absolutely. In my working life I once headed the CSR department that included the world outside North America.  We as in the team did lots of community and charitable projects. It all relied on getting funding.  They were very successful because we focused on groups/charities and other sponsor companies that could provide funds.  We never failed to gain the funding and here I am talking for some projects millions.  All from outside organisations than our own company - they provided the funding for the individuals we employed in various countries but all projects had to find self funding, not from our own company.

My comments was just meant to emphasis your point about knowing how to get funding.  The team  became quite expert at understanding at identifying and gaining funding from surprising number of organisations and other business companies to support projects. Both monies and staffing on loan from many organisations.

I tried explaining this to one of our SL foundations and the 100's of organisations and network of companies CSR teams one could focus on but they found it too much effort to focus on such. Although the effort and time would mean distracting from immediate tasks the reward would be their in the long term.  They chose the short term rather than the hard route that would strategical give a bigger gain in long term.

I have been retired for close on 15 years now so don't have the direct contacts or network of contacts into those funding organisations and CSR departments of major business anymore.  I have no doubt it could be built my any SL foundation with a broader strategic vision.

Edited by redjonn

17 hours ago, Griff said:

I still think you're missing the point. Yes, clubs do have PDRL and LDRL teams - Hull FC LDRL played Sheffield last year, for instance - but if we relied on interclub games, there wouldn't be much PDRL or LDRL played.

I don't think I missed the point and we should never rely entirely on clubs but they still have a role and an inclusion function that needs to be seen to have moved beyond you can buy tickets and merch.

Edited by Oxford

2 hours ago, Griff said:

As a trustee of Leigh youth and community trust I know what you mean  , just a general observation in life , it's like the rich being able to afford better accountants that are better at avoiding tax 

49 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I don't think I missed the point and we should never rely entirely on clubs but they still have a role and an inlusion function that needs to be seen to have moved beyond you can buy tickets and merch.

It's good if they do it , but it shouldn't be compulsory, IMO 

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

I don't think I missed the point and we should never rely entirely on clubs but they still have a role and an inlusion function that needs to be seen to have moved beyond you can buy tickets and merch.

Yes - the clubs run the PDRL and LDRL sessions.  They don't have to involve other clubs.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

It's good if they do it , but it shouldn't be compulsory, IMO 

I'm pretty sure no one posting on here has said it should be.

54 minutes ago, Griff said:

Yes - the clubs run the PDRL and LDRL sessions.  They don't have to involve other clubs.

Did you mean no organised competition or leagues Griff?

26 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Did you mean no organised competition or leagues Griff?

I doubt if there's any demand for organised leagues.  Who would benefit from that ?  You'd just be making a commitment which, inevitably, one or more clubs would default on.

Look at it as more in line with a squash club.  Yes - sometimes your club will play another club but most of the time you'll just be playing your clubmates.

3 minutes ago, Griff said:

I doubt if there's any demand for organised leagues.  Who would benefit from that ?  You'd just be making a commitment which, inevitably, one or more clubs would default on.

Look at it as more in line with a squash club.  Yes - sometimes your club will play another club but most of the time you'll just be playing your clubmates.

What about the demand from the players for competitive matches?

The players would benefit I'd imagine.

Edited by Oxford

35 minutes ago, Oxford said:

What about the demand from the players for competitive matches?

The players would benefit I'd imagine.

LDRL players won't care.  PDRL players, maybe, but I think that level of organisation is further down the line.  We'd need more structured teams and the current priority is just getting folk playing.

1 minute ago, Griff said:

LDRL players won't care.  PDRL players, maybe, but I think that level of organisation is further down the line.  We'd need more structured teams and the current priority is just getting folk playing.

IMO neither should have competitive leagues of any kind 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I think that is very much for the LDRL and PDRL players themselves to determine.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

Agreed.  But no doubt someone will try to shoehorn it into a structure which doesn't fit.

What happens when you have to tell an LDRL or PDRL player that he can't play because you've got a squad of 18 and the comp rules only allow 17 ?   Would that be progress ?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Griff said:

Agreed.  But no doubt someone will try to shoehorn it into a structure which doesn't fit.

What happens when you have to tell an LDRL or PDRL player that he can't play because you've got a squad of 18 and the comp rules only allow 17 ?   Would that be progress ?

Exactly, I have difficulties with the Paralympics , to me it is impossible to fairly judge disability , I realise that the focus and dreams are helpful to the participants and their families in dealing with the hand life has dealt them , just how I see it , there but for the grace of God go I 

4 minutes ago, Griff said:

Told you, Gubrats.🥺

Because, as I'm sure you're trying to get across, in disability (but especially learning disability) activity and sport, there isn't a one size fits all approach. Some PDRL/LDRL will absolutely want to be involved a competitive game and/or league (and it's a bit patronising to say they can't or shouldn't be) whereas others will benefit a lot more from just having a fun time with friends and a bit of sporting activity.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Because, as I'm sure you're trying to get across, in disability (but especially learning disability) activity and sport, there isn't a one size fits all approach. Some PDRL/LDRL will absolutely want to be involved a competitive game and/or league (and it's a bit patronising to say they can't or shouldn't be) whereas others will benefit a lot more from just having a fun time with friends and a bit of sporting activity.

As long as you're happy to explain to that LDRL player why he can't play.

• Thanks 1

Fine if you have a celebrity like Hills behind you but try and set something up with out the backing of either a 'Name' or an SL club and its like banging your head against a brick wall ...

As a former junior coach and player, I work in a secondary SEN school , not a stones throw from a current Championship Club and when the LDRL was launched was keen to try get my school some involvement . Numerous emails/ social media posts  to the RFL and the Community Care Company that supposedly oversee the LDRL asking for more information went unanswered and then at a   Foundation Event organised by our local pro Club, through the support of our Clubs Foundation Officer , I was directed to an RFL official who took my details and promised faithfully to get back to me .... surprise, surprise nothing ......

Compare and contrast with the local Mixed Ability RU Club who cant do enough for us ...and wheelchair RL with the Wales Teams Visit during the World Cup the highlight of our school year .....

Edited by Rach

1 hour ago, Griff said:

As long as you're happy to explain to that LDRL player why he can't play.

I’m not going to patronisingly decide that entire groups of people can’t have the opportunity to play in a competitive set up - that would by its nature have to be flexible and understanding - because I’ve made a sob story up in my head.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I’m not going to patronisingly decide that entire groups of people can’t have the opportunity to play in a competitive set up - that would by its nature have to be flexible and understanding - because I’ve made a sob story up in my head.

🥺 [sigh]