Challenge cup question

I new the the challenge cup got its collar/neck replaced a few years ago. In my off season boredom I was wondering when it was removed/lost. Going over old photos it was on the cup in 68 when Leeds won it but not on in 69 when Cas won. Anyone know how it was damaged and why it took so long to have it replaced. 

3 minutes ago, Griff said:

If I recall correctly, the collar was part of the lid. It made the lid unstable and it kept falling off.

I think you are right as in some of the 68 pictures the collar and lid are separate from the trophy. Why not just fix it on permanently though if that was the problem. 

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

I think you are right as in some of the 68 pictures the collar and lid are separate from the trophy. Why not just fix it on permanently though if that was the problem. 

By 1998, the lid was indeed screwed to the cup permanently.

The current cup is a brand new one, rather than the old one repaired.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

19 hours ago, Griff said:

By 1998, the lid was indeed screwed to the cup permanently.

The current cup is a brand new one, rather than the old one repaired.

Yes and the looks like it was done in 2001/2 as Saints won it in 2001 with no collar. When Wigan won it 2002 the collar was back. It looks so much better with it on just seems odd it took 30 odd years to put it right. All be it as you say with a new trophy. 

Thirty more years brings more deterioration.

The new cup has the engraved rugby scene which was on the old one before being polished off over the previous hundred years. Beautiful piece of work.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"