Fixture Change in February

marklaspalmas

According to Thunder's social media this is something to do with the fact that Newcastle United will be playing in the Carabao Cup Final at Wembley that day if they win their semi final.

Not sure why they that would bring about the swap (Thunder's ground is a few miles away from the football ground), maybe some of United's players work on the gates or behind the bars at Thunder to help make ends meet.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Apccording to Thunder's social media this is something to do with the fact that Newcastle United will be playing in the Carabao Cup Final at Wembley that day if they win their semi final.

That's true P but the last date for semi is 1st FEB  so plenty of time to change it then what if they don't reach the final will they want to change it back because this change gives them 5 away at start of season

7 minutes ago, POR said:

That's true P but the last date for semi is 1st FEB  so plenty of time to change it then what if they don't reach the final will they want to change it back because this change gives them 5 away at start of season

Only guessing but it might be that we needed an immediate answer in order to stage a home game that wasn't pre-planned. Gate and security staff, bar staff etc...the ground is very busy at this time of year especially with Wakefield AFC having so many games and maybe we just needed a decision one way or another.

7 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Only guessing but it might be that we needed an immediate answer in order to stage a home game that wasn't pre-planned. Gate and security staff, bar staff etc...the ground is very busy at this time of year especially with Wakefield AFC having so many games and maybe we just needed a decision one way or another.

Maybe P but from the 1st to 26th is nearly a month and I'm sure we as a club could have done everything to facilitate a game taking place  in that time period

Really if there's a concern it's the pitch. At the moment the ground is scheduled to stage six fixtures in 15 days (3 home games for us, three footballgames for Wakefield AFC) between 11th and 26th February, quite a challenge for the ground staff if we get a wet February. But I'm sure there are good reasons for the switch, otherwise we wouldn't have agreed to it.

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

According to Thunder's social media this is something to do with the fact that Newcastle United will be playing in the Carabao Cup Final at Wembley that day if they win their semi final.

Not sure why they that would bring about the swap (Thunder's ground is a few miles away from the football ground), maybe some of United's players work on the gates or behind the bars at Thunder to help make ends meet.

If that's the reason, as a Saints fan, my feelings are hurt. I hope they're happy.

43 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Really if there's a concern it's the pitch. At the moment the ground is scheduled to stage six fixtures in 15 days (3 home games for us, three footballgames for Wakefield AFC) between 11th and 26th February, quite a challenge for the ground staff if we get a wet February. But I'm sure there are good reasons for the switch, otherwise we wouldn't have agreed to it.

Yes. I'm no expert but I would've thought the less games on our pitch in the early months, the better.

3 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Yes. I'm no expert but I would've thought the less games on our pitch in the early months, the better.

Agree. That said, the club have stated "Having carefully reviewed all the options available..." in their social media statement about the switch, and I'm not a fan of criticising when we don't know the full story/options, so we'll just need to get on with it.

Suits me, I couldn't make the game in Sept. 😉

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

On 13/01/2023 at 13:39, The Phantom Horseman said:

I might be putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5, but Wakefield AFC have put on their FB page today that they're making an announcement at 6pm. Given the previous post on their page from four days ago says "We are beyond frustrated with the current situation. Another home game canceled due to rain and poor pitch conditions," and given there's been lots of speculation about them switching to Belle Vue, I wonder if that's what the announcement is? Mixed feelings if so - having the football team has presumably brought in some useful income, but it can't have helped with the pitch maintenance in the first few months of the season.

Well It's  true P back to Bellvue next year apparently  Fans will find a state-of-the-art stand, new parking, retail, and food options. and Belle Vue will have a hybrid pitch,. It means better playing conditions, fewer cancellations, and fewer injuries to our players. Additionally, our teams will train in the stadium during the week and will have access to two full new gyms, a cafeteria, and new changing rooms.

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I guessed right, they're moving to Belle Vue from next season.

Not a word of thanks for their hosts for the last 3 years, you wouldn't know from their press releases where they had been playing. 

Add that to the thinly-veiled criticism of the ground on their Facebook page and I'm starting to think we're well shut of em

Money from them is all well and good but it's not  going to do the pitch any good with all the games they have to fit in.

Edited by Fevrover

I really can't understand why people are getting upset about Wakefield AFC moving back to Wakefield if FEV AFC were leaving us then that would be a whole different ballgame  

I'm  sure come April when their season ends people will get all the thanks from them they think they deserve

30 minutes ago, POR said:

I really can't understand why people are getting upset about Wakefield AFC moving back to Wakefield if FEV AFC were leaving us then that would be a whole different ballgame  

I'm  sure come April when their season ends people will get all the thanks from them they think they deserve

It probably puts a sizeable hole in ongoing income and may well impact budget forecasts for our upcoming season which could impact agreed salary cap

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep

22 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Not a word of thanks for their hosts for the last 3 years, you wouldn't know from their press releases where they had been playing. 

Glad to see our own comment on our website was a lot more gracious:

"Rovers CEO Martin Vickers; “It’s been a pleasure to work with Wakefield AFC over the last couple of years.  We can certainly see that desire to be back playing in the heart of Wakefield, which is perfectly understandable and we wish them every success in the future.”

All at the club wish Wakefield AFC the very best of luck in the remainder of their 2022/23 campaign and hope that they can see out their time at the Millennium Stadium on a high. "

23 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Add that to the thinly-veiled criticism of the ground on their Facebook page and I'm starting to think we're well shut of them. 

Obviously the loss of income isn’t great. But surely better to have less matches on the pitch.