London Broncos & London Skolars

Last season Broncos stripped Skolars of coaches & players. Didnt work out well for them and was probably due to cost cutting and finding an equilibrium as a part time club. What was poor was they offered little to nowt to help the club recover including badly needed fringe players coming as replacements in decent numbers the other way. Again this season they took Bassett who ripped it up for Skolars last season and seems to be doing it again for Broncos. Loads of examples over the years of this type of thing.

You would think given the limited resources in London everyone would look after each other. Skolars have never stood in the way of a player stepping up & broncos is often the beneficiary due to geography. Come this season you alway live in hope of a change. Two bits of info suggest it's got worse. Broncos are trying to charge £400 for dual reg players. Worst of all it appears Broncos tried to court Skolars new investors the day after the deal was announced at the Capital Challenge. Called them and invited them to a meeting which was refused. You couldn't make it up!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IM2 said:

Last season Broncos stripped Skolars of coaches & players. Didnt work out well for them and was probably due to cost cutting and finding an equilibrium as a part time club. What was poor was they offered little to nowt to help the club recover including badly needed fringe players coming as replacements in decent numbers the other way. Again this season they took Bassett who ripped it up for Skolars last season and seems to be doing it again for Broncos. Loads of examples over the years of this type of thing.

You would think given the limited resources in London everyone would look after each other. Skolars have never stood in the way of a player stepping up & broncos is often the beneficiary due to geography. Come this season you alway live in hope of a change. Two bits of info suggest it's got worse. Broncos are trying to charge £400 for dual reg players. Worst of all it appears Broncos tried to court Skolars new investors the day after the deal was announced at the Capital Challenge. Called them and invited them to a meeting which was refused. You couldn't make it up!

What is actually happening with the Skolars potential new ownership, has that been approved yet?

Edited by The Daddy

22 minutes ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

Not really. You are borrowing a player someone else is paying the wages for. Call it what you want but that's the long and short of it.

They are different things, that’s why some players are loaned to some clubs and some players are sent to a dual-reg partner where an agreement has been struck. 

Going back to the original point, if the charge for use of a Broncos player wasn’t included in the agreement, I’m not sure how they can implement it. I also doubt the salary of a London Broncos youngster who is likely to be sent to Skolars is £400 per week. 

• Like 1

Although Hemel Stags are well pleased to be out of the meaningless League 1 which was destroyed by the "3 Eights" in 2015 we can recall dual reg agreements we had which were documented to RFL standards and clearly stated our financial obligations to the club who was providing the player to us. We only signed those agreements if we were happy with the terms.

Since continuing as a community club we have not necessarily been all that happy that players we have developed through our junior ranks have been signed by both Broncos and Skolars with derisory compensation (I.e. £100 "compensation '. We welcome that the  players we produce have a RL pathway to follow although the scores being registered in Scholarship, Academy, Reserves and League 1 matches in London this season suggest they might have been  better off staying at Pennine Way 

The RL player pool and resources in London are so tiny that there is a need for all clubs - both community,  semi-pro and pro - to come together for the overall development of the sport.

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Hemel Rugby League said:

The RL player pool and resources in London are so tiny that there is a need for all clubs - both community,  semi-pro and pro - to come together for the overall development of the sport.

This is so true. As is the bit about the sad state of the Broncos reserves, academy and scholarship teams - the latter two with a for/against of 0-154 so far.

I'm going to go off at a slight tangent (sorry). With the silly move away from Ealing, the Broncos are now finding it even harder to get youth players to train week nights at Richmond (that bit further into London for many). As a result, they're not getting the best of the community players (or even enough for full squads) because so many refuse to travel (up to 2 hours in some cases) to Richmond. Imagine that - large numbers of lads turning down a pathway to professional sport because it's been made so hard for them to commit - it needs a solution.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Hemel Rugby League said:

Although Hemel Stags are well pleased to be out of the meaningless League 1 which was destroyed by the "3 Eights" in 2015 we can recall dual reg agreements we had which were documented to RFL standards and clearly stated our financial obligations to the club who was providing the player to us. We only signed those agreements if we were happy with the terms.

Since continuing as a community club we have not necessarily been all that happy that players we have developed through our junior ranks have been signed by both Broncos and Skolars with derisory compensation (I.e. £100 "compensation '. We welcome that the  players we produce have a RL pathway to follow although the scores being registered in Scholarship, Academy, Reserves and League 1 matches in London this season suggest they might have been  better off staying at Pennine Way 

What's the score with mens fixtures this year ....is anything out yet? .....any links?

The website hasn't been updated in a long time 

Broncos taking Basset is fine & shows the progression route offers a pathway in London from amateur to Skolars to Broncos & possibly higher the way he is performing for them atm 👍🏻

The realm issue is the current size of £400 fee for a loan - would any of Broncos fringe players make much improvement to Skolars? (Broncos fringe are mainly academy players stepping up & the current Broncos reserve team is almost exclusively current academy kids which reflects in the Broncos reserve team getting hammered every game they have played.)

In contrast a couple of years ago, a friends son who was at Wigan and played a few games for Skolars on loan told me they got £100 for a loan fee.

Edited by Templegreen
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

This is so true. As is the bit about the sad state of the Broncos reserves, academy and scholarship teams - the latter two with a for/against of 0-154 so far.

I'm going to go off at a slight tangent (sorry). With the silly move away from Ealing, the Broncos are now finding it even harder to get youth players to train week nights at Richmond (that bit further into London for many). As a result, they're not getting the best of the community players (or even enough for full squads) because so many refuse to travel (up to 2 hours in some cases) to Richmond. Imagine that - large numbers of lads turning down a pathway to professional sport because it's been made so hard for them to commit - it needs a solution.

Although I like the ground at Wimbledon I can help thinking Ealing was a better option...not least as it's a lot easier to get to (for most people I know who to anyway) 

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

What's the score with mens fixtures this year ....is anything out yet? .....any links?

The website hasn't been updated in a long time 

The East RL are slow to release fixtures mate. I’ll buy you a pint if you’re there when Hemel host the Vipers. 

21 hours ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

It's the norm in football if you loan a player. Can't speak for RL but I'm not sure that fact is as scandalous as some feel.

They charged nearly a 1/4 of that when in SL & L1 got 5 times as much central funding. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hemel Rugby League said:

Totally agree we all need to be on the same side. Skolars like Hemel have never stood in the way of a player progressing but you need put back. It will help them the most over time. my biggest issue is trying to move in on the new investors. 

9 hours ago, Templegreen said:

Broncos taking Basset is fine & shows the progression route offers a pathway in London from amateur to Skolars to Broncos & possibly higher the way he is performing for them atm 👍🏻

The realm issue is the current size of £400 fee for a loan - would any of Broncos fringe players make much improvement to Skolars? (Broncos fringe are mainly academy players stepping up & the current Broncos reserve team is almost exclusively current academy kids which reflects in the Broncos reserve team getting hammered every game they have played.)

In contrast a couple of years ago, a friends son who was at Wigan and played a few games for Skolars on loan told me they got £100 for a loan fee.

totally agree its awesome to see players progress. and fees yes that is similar to what was paid in the past and those were SL player and FT championship not this lot. When we were top of the league a few season ago with the Wigan lads playing they were £250 all in inc travel and hotel

Edited by IM2

London Broncos have been a shambles for over a decade now. 

As for attempting to touch base with the new investors at the Skolars, that is contemptible behavior and should be looked into by the RFL.

Fit and proper is what RL club owners are meant to be, but neither of those terms describe the current ownership. He's fallen out with successive landlords, employed unqualified people into key roles and has alienated thousands of fans.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IM2 said:

They charged nearly a 1/4 of that when in SL & L1 got 5 times as much central funding. 

I'm aware of a Premier League club charging a loan fee to a non league football club. That rather blows out the five times funding ratio!

I don't particularly like it but it happens and Broncos are far from the only team doing it.

Broncos are a shambles off the pitch, the charge sheet contains worse items than charging a loan/dual reg fee.