Charging for entry

It's reasonably common at NCL level for there to be £2 or £3 admission, which often gets you a programme. Generally pitched as a voluntary donation rather than paying to get in, as most grounds are open to the public to some extent. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, JonM said:

It's reasonably common at NCL level for there to be £2 or £3 admission, which often gets you a programme. Generally pitched as a voluntary donation rather than paying to get in, as most grounds are open to the public to some extent. 

Agree. It's normally treated as a donation to avoid tax etc issues.

Usually simply a bucket collection at Regional level.

The Community game represents the best value you can have for watching decent level RL. Apart from the lads just enjoying themselves on a  combat run around , it is what it is -community local fun for players and spectators alike....

• Thanks 1

That's what I thought. Birmingham Bulldogs are charging £6 entry this year. Other clubs not happy about it so I hope they'll relent. Personally it's fine for clubs to raise some money but I don't think they should profit from fans and players family 

23 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

That will be down to the guy running the club now, you would have thought he would have learned from his expericience at Worcester Jaguars of how not to run a club 

Quite 😒 charging for a community Rugby game has not gone down well with other clubs 

On 06/04/2023 at 21:10, OriginalMrC said:

Personally it's fine for clubs to raise some money but I don't think they should profit from fans

Why not? And if not then who should finance the club? The committee and/or players?

What's the big deal about fans paying a fiver or so a dozen time a year for their entertainment? 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Why not? And if not then who should finance the club? The committee and/or players?

What's the big deal about fans paying a fiver or so a dozen time a year for their entertainment? 

It's a community sport in the midlands premier. Most people attending games are club staff and family and friends of the players. Clubs don't pay players at a community level and players generally pay subs. In addition clubs raise money through sponsorship and other fundraising. It's entirely up to any club if they charge for entry but if no one else in the league does it then it's going to leave a sour taste 

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/04/2023 at 21:06, Number 16 said:

Graeme, it's not about finance, it's about people being involved with club who want to make some money from what is essentially a hobby for all involved.  Whenever people are charging entry fees, that money is going into somebody's pocket.

• Haha 1

On 28/04/2023 at 21:35, bbfaz said:

Graeme, it's not about finance, it's about people being involved with club who want to make some money from what is essentially a hobby for all involved.  Whenever people are charging entry fees, that money is going into somebody's pocket.

Behave.

On 08/04/2023 at 21:06, Number 16 said:

Exactly,amateur clubs are facing huge increases in running costs,if a relatively small admission charge to watch open age rugby helps with those costs then I really don’t see what the problem is.

• Like 2

On 06/04/2023 at 17:35, del capo said:

Agree. It's normally treated as a donation to avoid tax etc issues.

Usually simply a bucket collection at Regional level.

The Community game represents the best value you can have for watching decent level RL. Apart from the lads just enjoying themselves on a  combat run around , it is what it is -community local fun for players and spectators alike....

Most important issue is our the beer prices decent.

9 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Exactly,amateur clubs are facing huge increases in running costs,if a relatively small admission charge to watch open age rugby helps with those costs then I really don’t see what the problem is.

When maybe we should lobby and petition for help against the sour raising costs or just bend over and take up the you know what.

Edited by EggFace

On 28/04/2023 at 21:35, bbfaz said:

Most hobbies don't come free. 

And if your club has someone pocketing the entrance money I think you'd be better off changing the bloke at the gate!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Most hobbies don't come free. 

And if your club has someone pocketing the entrance money I think you'd be better off changing the bloke at the gate!

You guys had somebody from your host club skimming the bar money and the host club thought you contributed nothing!

The people I am talking about are the sorts of people whose LinkedIns show them as making a career from amateur Rugby League.  They're paying themselves to run the club, which is why they run it as a dictatorship and get angry at anybody who questions it because they're doing so on the sly.

We all know people who have taken money out of clubs that they weren't supposed to and there's a pattern.  For instance, I refuse to believe a certain bird-nicknamed club in Dartford were charging entrance fee so they could pay cheerleaders because of conversations I've had.  Your former club admin once got a multi-year sponsorship for a club that lasted one season.

11 hours ago, bbfaz said:

You guys had somebody from your host club skimming the bar money and the host club thought you contributed nothing!

The people I am talking about are the sorts of people whose LinkedIns show them as making a career from amateur Rugby League.  They're paying themselves to run the club, which is why they run it as a dictatorship and get angry at anybody who questions it because they're doing so on the sly.

We all know people who have taken money out of clubs that they weren't supposed to and there's a pattern.  For instance, I refuse to believe a certain bird-nicknamed club in Dartford were charging entrance fee so they could pay cheerleaders because of conversations I've had.  Your former club admin once got a multi-year sponsorship for a club that lasted one season.

Ha ha! You're not wrong, but that doesn't mean it is always going to happen. 

I had plenty of disagreements with our host club's steward about RL's contribution to the union club!

As for the Italian sounding scumbag who stole from Storm ... Well, I won't be backing Team Colostomy. 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I don't know how the law works now but amateur clubs were not allowed to charge admission unless they were VAT registered at one time. The way they got around this was by admission by programme. Apparently they didn't have to be VAT registered to charge for a programme, that is why all the NCL clubs were told to produce match programmes. It that is still the law? you are entitled to refuse to pay an admission charge if there is no programme.