What now for the French national team?

France will not develop as an international side until they get more full time players in their playing pool and they're not all concentrated in 2 clubs.

Concentrate on that.

I don't think playing England v France mid-season in the heartlands in front of a small audience and a certain pasting due to player dropouts from the only 2 French clubs is going to help anyone grow. Doesn't help build interest in either nation. Doesn't help develop combinations (because the squads are vastly different). It's just a waste of time. In fact, detrimental to both.

England v France are the end of the season may work. Certainly better than mid-season.

• Like 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

8 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

France will not develop as an international side until they get more full time players in their playing pool and they're not all concentrated in 2 clubs.

Concentrate on that.

I don't think playing England v France mid-season in the heartlands in front of a small audience and a certain pasting due to player dropouts from the only 2 French clubs is going to help anyone grow. Doesn't help build interest in either nation. Doesn't help develop combinations (because the squads are vastly different). It's just a waste of time. In fact, detrimental to both.

England v France are the end of the season may work. Certainly better than mid-season.

Building a base of players in France is what’s needed before France can become competitive. They can then filter through to Catalans and Toulouse and maybe other SL clubs and then to the national team. 

France need to play a regular end of season tournament such as the Euros with a test against England and whoever is touring here such as Tonga as well.

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

53 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Building a base of players in France is what’s needed before France can become competitive.

So glad that you both agree with me.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I do agree. The only way France and any other country can improve is by increasing the player base. 
Not sure how the French Federation is going to be able achieve that as they don’t seem to have the money for it. 
Toulouse and Catalans can play a big part by increasing numbers in their areas but other areas also need to be targeted 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

The question is how?

How do we get more money into the French game? Most likely though TV.

How do they get a TV deal? I'd guess through more French full time teams playing in reputable competitions (i.e. SL).

How do you get more French full time teams in SL without a TV deal? Rich benefactors.

How do you attract rich benefactors to potential new rugby league teams? By giving them a realistic route into SL with guaranteed stays to get money's worth.

How do you give expansion clubs a realistic route into SL? By doing it in a fashion that doesn't take away from current British clubs (they're the voters): that being central distribution money and seats at the table. If you guarantee a set number of teams for teams based on areas, there can be no complaints if expansion happens.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

9 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The question is how?

1. How do we get more money into the French game? Most likely though TV.

2, How do they get a TV deal? I'd guess through more French full time teams playing in reputable competitions (i.e. SL).

3. How do you get more French full time teams in SL without a TV deal? Rich benefactors.

4. How do you attract rich benefactors to potential new rugby league teams? By giving them a realistic route into SL with guaranteed stays to get money's worth.

5. How do you give expansion clubs a realistic route into SL? By doing it in a fashion that doesn't take away from current British clubs (they're the voters): that being central distribution money and seats at the table. If you guarantee a set number of teams for teams based on areas, there can be no complaints if expansion happens.

1. I have asked this question before, is there the appetite for RL in France that will entice the TV companies to invest, one of our French contributors answered that with an emphatic NO.

2. What other reputable competition is there apart from SL close enough to France? Massive Chicken and Egg situation this Wellsey, the British SL cannot afford more teams in the top flight untill there is more money in the sport and that includes the French teams contributing with there own finances i.e. the afore mentioned TV Deal.

3. Do you mean Benefactors like over here were the local boy has made good and wants to finance and support his home town club? Apart from your own Chaiman isn't this the most common route.

4. I Completely and Totally disagree with any club recieving preferential treatment over their contemporaries whoever they happen to be, the same rules should apply to all.

5. So by area and a realistic route into SL should we promote one of the Cumbrian clubs, Newcastle, London, one of the two Welsh teams perhaps, how about Cornwall? But you are so correct we shouldn't upset the current Britush club's, but if the next TV contract is somewhat lower than the present one I think that apart from 12 club's there could be 24 club's upset central distribution wise.

22 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

You misunderstand me. We should support the development of the French international side because it is in *our* interests to do so, to create a regular, meaningful international competition with a near neighbour, which will be good for the development of the English game.

So your “not my problem” mindset isn’t that relevant here. By the way, they’ve played rugby union in Italy for longer than that. It’s just that 20+ years ago the IRU decided to take its development seriously. For the benefit of European and World rugby, not for the benefit of the Italians themselves. 

Very poor post. Both the French and the Italian games were heavily suppressed by their Rugby Union rivals over many years. Italy especially, and certainly in France. Do some research perhaps? The surpression went at times as far as countries (egged on by the union people and their government friends) banning Rugby League......

When Vichy France abolished rugby league (theneweuropean.co.uk)

French RL is over six time smaller than the game here and Italy is far far smaller than that. There is nothing to be gained by setting up costly "Internationals" that only end in one sided "contests" that embarrass our friend abroad. We can play France regularly and smash them regularly as we did the other day. It's meaningless, ugly and does not turn the fans on.

Bringing the Catalans into Superleague has been a master stroke in these circumstances, it provides a pathway for top French RL lads to find a professional career in league rather than have to play union. That there are so many English and southern hemisphere players in the Catalans side shows us the low level of French talent, but it's there all the same.

This is why I don't see why Toulouse should be allowed to take a Superleague place above Featherstone......

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

1. I have asked this question before, is there the appetite for RL in France that will entice the TV companies to invest, one of our French contributors answered that with an emphatic NO.

2. the British SL cannot afford more teams in the top flight untill there is more money in the sport and that includes the French teams contributing with there own finances i.e. the afore mentioned TV Deal.

3. So by area and a realistic route into SL should we promote one of the Cumbrian clubs, Newcastle, London, one of the two Welsh teams perhaps, how about Cornwall? But you are so correct we shouldn't upset the current Britush club's, but if the next TV contract is somewhat lower than the present one I think that apart from 12 club's there could be 24 club's upset central distribution wise.

1. Absolutely "no" sadly because it's a small time, regional sport in France (far below SL standard) that would not provide the TV audiences and subscriptions, to make it pay. 

2. In terms of "contributing"  Guasch provides exactly what we want. As far as I can judge, Les Cats are much loved by RL fans there. Toulouse are only the "best of the rest" and cannot justify an SL place in any shape or form.  Look at what your club are doing in SL against Toulouse.  

3. The TV money is for the TV clubs, let's forget that massive deal was got some time ago, and ultimately the clubs who have the rich owners, and the quality player development are the clubs we need in SL. 

Sadly there's no quality player systems and rich owners  beyond what we have now.....

14 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Seems reasonable enough.

Particularly pertinent that Australia is being advocated for me. They not only need more FT players, but they need more in and around the NRL. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The question is how?

How do we get more money into the French game? Most likely though TV.

How do they get a TV deal? I'd guess through more French full time teams playing in reputable competitions (i.e. SL).

How do you get more French full time teams in SL without a TV deal? Rich benefactors.

How do you attract rich benefactors to potential new rugby league teams? By giving them a realistic route into SL with guaranteed stays to get money's worth.

How do you give expansion clubs a realistic route into SL? By doing it in a fashion that doesn't take away from current British clubs (they're the voters): that being central distribution money and seats at the table. If you guarantee a set number of teams for teams based on areas, there can be no complaints if expansion happens.

They have a TV deal for Cats.

4 hours ago, steve oates said:

Very poor post. Both the French and the Italian games were heavily suppressed by their Rugby Union rivals over many years. Italy especially, and certainly in France. Do some research perhaps? The surpression went at times as far as countries (egged on by the union people and their government friends) banning Rugby League......

When Vichy France abolished rugby league (theneweuropean.co.uk)

French RL is over six time smaller than the game here and Italy is far far smaller than that. There is nothing to be gained by setting up costly "Internationals" that only end in one sided "contests" that embarrass our friend abroad. We can play France regularly and smash them regularly as we did the other day. It's meaningless, ugly and does not turn the fans on.

Bringing the Catalans into Superleague has been a master stroke in these circumstances, it provides a pathway for top French RL lads to find a professional career in league rather than have to play union. That there are so many English and southern hemisphere players in the Catalans side shows us the low level of French talent, but it's there all the same.

This is why I don't see why Toulouse should be allowed to take a Superleague place above Featherstone......

“Very poor post” and “do some research perhaps”…. followed by telling me stuff I already know, with a liberal use of the bold function 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Well I give you 9/10 for that one, an excellent post, thank you for the enlightenment o’ great one 👍🏼

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Expand please Leonard, what's it worth?

No idea.

Also wasn't the point being made.