Hope and Glory: Rugby League in Thatcher's Britain

Just spied this https://www.pitchpublishing.co.uk/shop/hope-and-glory

Hope and Glory is the untold story of rugby league in Thatcher's Britain. Against the backdrop of economic and social upheaval, the sport of the working class transformed itself. Broxton's book recreates this era with the dramatic tension of a novel, revealing it as a critical moment where despite losing everything, anything still seemed possible.

Perhaps @Tides Of History could tell us more?

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

• 1 month later...

Well spotted @Man of Kent - yes i can confirm this book will be published this summer. And you will be pleased to know that the story of Kent Invitca is covered in great detail. Spoiler alert: they did actually have some radical ideas that were later copied by other clubs....

Its the complex story of a British rugby league revival and there will be a Total RL feel to the book after @marklaspalmas helped me with the story of Featherstone in the miners strike and John Drake gave me some brilliant insight into the rise of the RLSA in the mid 1990s. 

I'll be out and about across the country promoting it and happy to come and chat at history/supporter groups, please DM to discuss it further and I'd be delighted to chat. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hope-Glory-League-Thatchers-Britain/dp/1801504555HG.JPG.50aee168778b6b8f28f3f8b3769dbd19.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Tides Of History said:

Well spotted @Man of Kent - yes i can confirm this book will be published this summer. And you will be pleased to know that the story of Kent Invitca is covered in great detail. Spoiler alert: they did actually have some radical ideas that were later copied by other clubs....

Its the complex story of a British rugby league revival and there will be a Total RL feel to the book after @marklaspalmas helped me with the story of Featherstone in the miners strike and John Drake gave me some brilliant insight into the rise of the RLSA in the mid 1990s. 

I'll be out and about across the country promoting it and happy to come and chat at history/supporter groups, please DM to discuss it further and I'd be delighted to chat. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hope-Glory-League-Thatchers-Britain/dp/1801504555HG.JPG.50aee168778b6b8f28f3f8b3769dbd19.JPG

Looking forward to reading this Tony and will pick up a copy as soon as it's out.

I'll wait for the book so no need to answer here but I wonder did Kent Invitca ever try and use the three Kent pits as a base for support? Lots of miners with links to the north and could have been fertile ground. Although perhaps they were being closed as Kent Invitca were getting going.

Anyway, good luck with the book.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, OnStrike said:

Looking forward to reading this Tony and will pick up a copy as soon as it's out.

I'll wait for the book so no need to answer here but I wonder did Kent Invitca ever try and use the three Kent pits as a base for support? Lots of miners with links to the north and could have been fertile ground. Although perhaps they were being closed as Kent Invitca were getting going.

Anyway, good luck with the book.

Kent were actually seen as a glamour club and hoped to tap into the young professional, aspirational middle class people in areas such as Maidstone for support.

When they made their application to the sport one of their arguments was that they would be playing in an area of low unemployment with access to greater corporate sponsorship. Within one game however, it was evident that their target of 10,000 supporters was not going to be fulfilled....

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Hemel Rugby League said:

Ironically, it was during the years of Thatcherism that RL boomed in London. Three divisions of 27 open age team teams. The solitary Pro club had crowds of 15K at Craven Cottage. We can't blame Maggie on what followed.

Indeed, Fulham were seen as the great success story of the early part of the decade and were a key plank in the beginning of the revival for the sport as sports editors and London based writers took notice of the sport for the first time.

Having Colin Welland on board gave the club a direct line into the media...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Hemel Rugby League said:

Ironically, it was during the years of Thatcherism that RL boomed in London. Three divisions of 27 open age team teams. The solitary Pro club had crowds of 15K at Craven Cottage. We can't blame Maggie on what followed.

I beg to differ.

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

21 hours ago, Hemel Rugby League said:

Can you put some meat on the bones as regards the 3 divisions of 27 open age teams

15 hours ago, Segovia Carpet said:

I Think Paul Faires was the leader as currently he joins me on the Daily Telegraph `Comments` section when the Yawnion boys are given short shrift about their game. 

You are correct Segovia. 

Faires was heavily profiled in the media when he arrived on the scene as the future of rugby league. Huge profiles with sports editors in The Times, The Guardian and other places framed him as a new kind of rugby league chairman that could carry the game into the 21st century and develop the game into the South. You will have to pick up the book to see what happened next....

8 hours ago, Tides Of History said:

You are correct Segovia. 

Faires was heavily profiled in the media when he arrived on the scene as the future of rugby league. Huge profiles with sports editors in The Times, The Guardian and other places framed him as a new kind of rugby league chairman that could carry the game into the 21st century and develop the game into the South. You will have to pick up the book to see what happened next....

Sadly he failed

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Wonder what @ATLANTISMANwill make of it.

Well when one is 27 years old one dreams when one is older one gets more wiser 🙂

However can hold ones head high having raised over 70 Million for RL over the last 20 years + and with my wonderful wife now leading the charge still going strong  www.europeansportsmedia.com 

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Well when one is 27 years old one dreams when one is older one gets more wiser 🙂

However can hold ones head high having raised over 70 Million for RL over the last 20 years + and with my wonderful wife now leading the charge still going strong  www.europeansportsmedia.com 

LinkedIn Paul Faires Atlantis Radio/Rugby League 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Its always good to have a dream. 

And as the book will outline, Kent Invicta were miles ahead of other clubs within the British game in terms of marketing, publicity and "razzmatazz"....long before Wigan, Keighley and Bradford twigged on

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 17/08/2023 at 22:46, Man of Kent said:

Very good read. Congrats @Tides Of History

Thanks Man of Kent - glad you are enjoying it!!

The book is available now - and able to order online or to your local store 

Here is a little promo of the book for anyone who has not seen yet - filmed on location in gloriously sunny Featherstone...

https://twitter.com/labour_history/status/1691381597298139137?s=20

Will be getting out and about to lots of clubs - feel free to DM me for any appearances or more information on it!!