Sky Magic Coverage

Is it written that we MUST hear the referess all the time & they must blow long & hard on their whistles or give exaggerated signals at every opportunity?

Also, why so many looks at tries when one gives a clear view?

For me, we get showboating officials who are far too much the centre of attention compared to the NRL where they are present but it's not about them.

Was really noticeable during Magic coverage.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Gavin Harrison said:

Is it written that we MUST hear the referess all the time & they must blow long & hard on their whistles or give exaggerated signals at every opportunity?

Also, why so many looks at tries when one gives a clear view?

For me, we get showboating officials who are far too much the centre of attention compared to the NRL where they are present but it's not about them.

Was really noticeable during Magic coverage.

Two very different issues I think.

Whether we hear the refs and their whistles all the time is a Sky editorial decision. Personally I don't mind it; I am interested in what the referee is saying and I don't own a dog.

I'm not sure exactly what an exaggerated signal is but sometimes it is unclear what the decision is when you're sat in the crowd so I welcome good signalling and don't mind a bit of flamboyance.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I agree on the point of hearing referees. I’d prefer they take the NFL approach where the ref is only heard when giving decisions. The constant ref mic also dampens the crowd noise a bit on TV.

• Like 1

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

17 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I agree on the point of hearing referees. I’d prefer they take the NFL approach where the ref is only heard when giving decisions. The constant ref mic also dampens the crowd noise a bit on TV.

Hit the nail on the head there. 

Why the hell do we need to hear

"1, mooove, ok go, 2,movement, 3, ok dominant, hold hold , ok, all on side,  4, held held, play the ball,  stay on side stay on side, ok go, thats 5,  all on side. "

It adds nothing to the viewing experience what so ever

Sky's Magic weekend coverage was pretty downbeat, I thought. The ground looked about one third full and, though the games were good, Sky couldn't show a genuine sense of excitement and fun about the event. 

It should never have been held at a venue that is unlikely to bring in casual attendees. If we want to extend the game's footprint, it should have been played in the Midlands, which is a rail and road fulcrum for the whole of England and which has a local team in the Hurricanes.

Coventry has always been a rugby town and Wasps have just gone bust. Use that stadium if possible. Only open touchline stands with team banners behind one set of  posts and a stage for bands, dj's and cheerleaders behind the other. Make more of mascots, cheerleading and women's rugby. Get some local bands to play between games. Sell cheap bucket hats in the teams' colours etc etc

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I don't mind hearing the refs etc, usually I don't get sound anyway as I'll be in the pub and something else will be on as well.

But I wasn't happy watching the Wakefield game on Main Event when without warning Sky switched to some adverts and then went to the F1 with about 10 mins left. Sure, the game was still on Arena but by the time me and the bar staff had worked this out I'd missed Wakefield's try. 

I understand the game was delayed because of a bad injury, but treat your viewers with some semblance of respect.