2024 squad

Nige Arro

1 hour ago, HaxbyKnight said:

I think Marsh is the best full back I have seen play for York, and I've been watching them for more than 60 years. One if the many attributes he has is his organisational and positional skill in both attack and defence, and that is something we have missed this season. As well as Joe Brown as played, we've certainly missed Marshy.

I too really like Marsh, however he has been out for a long time and I wonder if he still has the desire at York, he was definitely Fordys’ man and a change might be what HE needs, Browny has made the full back berth his own and I can’t see Hendo dropping him to accommodate Matty Marsh. Harrison is waiting In the wings (excuse the pun) should Brown get injured. I thought Marsh did a pretty decent job filling in at stand off too and would be sad to see him go. I think there will be a few changes in the squad come the end of the season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

I too really like Marsh, however he has been out for a long time and I wonder if he still has the desire at York, he was definitely Fordys’ man and a change might be what HE needs, Browny has made the full back berth his own and I can’t see Hendo dropping him to accommodate Matty Marsh. Harrison is waiting In the wings (excuse the pun) should Brown get injured. I thought Marsh did a pretty decent job filling in at stand off too and would be sad to see him go. I think there will be a few changes in the squad come the end of the season.

Agree to a certain degree, but successful sides play their best players in their best positions. For me, when he is fit, Marsh is our best full back.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HaxbyKnight said:

I think Marsh is the best full back I have seen play for York, and I've been watching them for more than 60 years. One if the many attributes he has is his organisational and positional skill in both attack and defence, and that is something we have missed this season. As well as Joe Brown as played, we've certainly missed Marshy.

I agree with all that H.K. apart from the bit where you think he's the best full back you've seen play for York. That's your opinion obviously and fair enough but we've had some excellent full backs over the years. Marshy is definitely one of them but surely Willie Hargreaves would take some beating?  That's just my opinion anyway but when it comes to Marshy or Joe Brown, Matty Marsh every time for me. Joe's done a good job filling in but doesn't create tries for other players, especially the wingers, like Marsh does and as you say, his organising skills have been greatly missed while he's been out. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, HaxbyKnight said:

Agree to a certain degree, but successful sides play their best players in their best positions. For me, when he is fit, Marsh is our best full back.

As said marsh has been our best fullback for a few seasons now , injuries have got in the way and it maybe that Matty wants a change

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Clarence Street said:

I agree with all that H.K. apart from the bit where you think he's the best full back you've seen play for York. That's your opinion obviously and fair enough but we've had some excellent full backs over the years. Marshy is definitely one of them but surely Willie Hargreaves would take some beating?  That's just my opinion anyway but when it comes to Marshy or Joe Brown, Matty Marsh every time for me. Joe's done a good job filling in but doesn't create tries for other players, especially the wingers, like Marsh does and as you say, his organising skills have been greatly missed while he's been out. 

I know the game was a lot different when Willie Hargreaves was full back, and defensively he was one of the best, but for me, Marshy is a better all round player, he offers more in attack than Hargreaves did. Both outstanding players.

13 hours ago, spanishknight said:

If the rumours are true, we have been talking to a very experienced SL fullback, if it happens think we will all be happy.

So we've seen rumours of an experienced SL fullback, an Aussie half back and players that had a decent world cup. Lets hope at least some of the rumours are true. One thing is for sure, there will ALWAYS be player movement and players will ALWAYS come and go.  Look forward to hearing some announcements.

• Like 2