English girls in the NRLW

Sadly but not unexpectedly Georgia Roche is not named in the Knights team for Round One.

Still awaiting confirmation of the Cowboys  & Raiders starting lineups.

Goldthorp is tipped to start at fullback so hopefully we find out within the next few hours.

Edited by BroncoFan

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

10 hours ago, BroncoFan said:

Sadly but not unexpectedly Georgia Roche is not named in the Knights team for Round One.

Still awaiting confirmation of the Cowboys  & Raiders starting lineups.

Goldthorp is tipped to start at fullback so hopefully we find out within the next few hours.

Yep, team lists are up now, under the match previews: https://www.nrl.com/nrlw/

Dodd & Goldthorp named as expected.

Edited by stookie

I thought Fran Goldthorp did OK for the Cowboys today.

I think she had some frustration with the ball not going her way - a few Cowboys shifts went to the first runner with Goldthorp in a lot of space out the back.

But she ran the ball strongly and broke some tackles and will get better as she gets to know her teammates better. 

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I think that’s a fair review, they need to learn how to use Fran and she needs to get herself into better attacking positions.

I think it will come.

Tough start for Hollie Dodd too, tbf the Raiders looked pretty weak and I think only Parramatta looked worse.

On 23/07/2023 at 06:45, BroncoFan said:

Tough start for Hollie Dodd too, tbf the Raiders looked pretty weak and I think only Parramatta looked worse.

Not getting any easier. Roosters next week. Zahara Temara was distinctly underwhelming. 

Watching Ellie Johnston for the Sharks got me wondering if any NRLW clubs had taken a look at Zoe Hornby.

Hollie-Mae Dodd looked good today for the Raiders and it’s pretty clear that as she becomes accustomed to her teammates etc she is only going to get better. I loved her run in the lead up to the match winning try by Soliola. I genuinely believe she will become a superstar in our sport.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BroncoFan said:

Hollie-Mae Dodd looked good today for the Raiders and it’s pretty clear that as she becomes accustomed to her teammates etc she is only going to get better. I loved her run in the lead up to the match winning try by Soliola. I genuinely believe she will become a superstar in our sport.

We need to do more to promote the stories of these players to help that. The NRLW will probably do that job for us.

Looking forward to tomorrow's game with Goldthorp up against Tamika Upton who has been one the best full backs in Australia for the last few years.

Hopefully after getting her debut over last week and more time with her teammates, Goldthorp will have the game we know she can.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The Cowboys girls upset the Knights but I was more interested in watching Fran and whilst she isn’t doing much wrong she is really struggling to fit in and get her hands on the ball.

Not sure what the problem is but she is not getting herself in the right positions for example when the ball goes right - she’s on the left and same when the play goes left she’ll be on the right which is a bit frustrating.

Hoping it all comes together for her next week in their first one game v Broncos.

On 29/07/2023 at 14:47, BroncoFan said:

Just caught up with the game.  Dodd was good and I thought a lot of her best work went unnoticed by the commentary.  She always found her front with carries and moved and tackled well in defence.  Plus she was one the Raiders best in the effort plays with kick chases.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2023 at 21:03, Dunbar said:

Looking forward to tomorrow's game with Goldthorp up against Tamika Upton who has been one the best full backs in Australia for the last few years.

Hopefully after getting her debut over last week and more time with her teammates, Goldthorp will have the game we know she can.

the thing is fran is not a natural fullback. she started at leeds as a winger and in union played either centre or wing.  put her at right centre and she would thrive 

35 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

the thing is fran is not a natural fullback. she started at leeds as a winger and in union played either centre or wing.  put her at right centre and she would thrive 

I'm sure she can develop into a good fullback but yes, she is an outside back by trade.

Similarly I was surprised in the World Cup when Goldthorp was at 1 and Tara-Jane Stanley in the centre as they are better the other way around.

But seeing her at 1 probably convinced the Cowboys that was her position.

Georgia Roche named to make her debut for the Knights this week.  So Goldthorp, Dodd and Roche to watch this week.

Fran played very well today vs the Broncos in a losing side. I think she was always a threat when she did get the ball albeit still not in the best positions.

Im not normally a stats man but out of interest she did run nearly 190 metres.

Sadly she is in a pretty weak team, the Cowboys have no real grunt up front and we’re completely dominated by the Broncos which makes her performance even better imo.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BroncoFan said:

Fran played very well today vs the Broncos in a losing side. I think she was always a threat when she did get the ball albeit still not in the best positions.

Im not normally a stats man but out of interest she did run nearly 190 metres.

Sadly she is in a pretty weak team, the Cowboys have no real grunt up front and we’re completely dominated by the Broncos which makes her performance even better imo.

Haven't seen the game yet. I will catch up later, but topping the metres for the game and second in tackle busts (across both sides) implies a strong game with ball in hand.

On 30/07/2023 at 17:20, Dunbar said:

Just caught up with the game.  Dodd was good and I thought a lot of her best work went unnoticed by the commentary.  She always found her front with carries and moved and tackled well in defence.  Plus she was one the Raiders best in the effort plays with kick chases.

Plenty goes unnoticed by RL commentators across 80 minutes. Par for the course. More conspicuous when you have an eye on a particular player.

• Like 1

Raiders got a bit lucky with a sin-binning of Kezie Apps for the merest delay in releasing a player from the tackle on a breakaway. Penalty perhaps, but the bin seemed harsh.

Edit: Raiders match report says it was for a "strip"!

Still, if that what it takes to clean up the tackle area, so be it..... Hollie got pinged ten minutes in last week against the Roosters for simply having a hand on an opponent's shoulder and she got up to play the ball!

Edited by RBKnight

Caught up with all the performances this week.

Fran Goldthorp was solid in what was an outclassed team.  Strong with the ball in hand but still not quite enough involvement in the shift plays.

Georgia Roche looked a little bit off the pace for Newcastle but that is understandable in her first game.  She had some good touches though and set up the first try with a nice short kick.  I felt when Southwell (7) was out of the play the Knights tended to fo to Upton (1) for the playmaking - especially in the first half.  I hope Roche starts to demand the ball a bit more when she has more game time.

Hollie-Mae Dodd was very good again.  Technically very good in attack and defence and topped the tackle count for the Raiders.  Ran an excellent line for her first try.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RBKnight said:

Raiders got a bit lucky with a sin-binning of Kezie Apps for the merest delay in releasing a player from the tackle on a breakaway. Penalty perhaps, but the bin seemed harsh.

Edit: Raiders match report says it was for a "strip"!

The ref said "strip" and the ball did come loose after the tackle was complete. Which forced his hand. He couldn't play advantage.

Time isn't the only consideration. Kezie didn't hold the ball-carrier to the ground at the point of completion. Shakiah was able to instantly raise the ball and her upper body straight back up. Therefore continuing contact is a second effort. Despite minimal delay. 

See the same thing with a one-on-one legs tackle. If the ball-carrier quickly raises her upper body, the tackler will be penalized for a leg pull if she hangs on for a second. It's why you generally need more than one in the tackle to legally slow the ruck down.

With that type of offence after a clean break, you'd be lucky not to get 10 mins.