Match thread. Championship Round 25. Newcastle v Featherstone Rovers. Friday 8th September 2023

marklaspalmas

43 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Not changed my opinion on our defence.Points Newcastle have scored at home to the top teams this season.Fev 22  Sheffield 20 Toulouse 16  Fax 16  Batley 12 Bradford 12  York 6 Widnes 6 and London 6. 

It was a hot evening, we were down to effectively 2 subs from part way through the first half (and, I think, no interchanges left when Wildie went off), so it's not really that surprising that fatigue set in in the last 10-15mins

8 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

It was a hot evening, we were down to effectively 2 subs from part way through the first half (and, I think, no interchanges left when Wildie went off), so it's not really that surprising that fatigue set in in the last 10-15mins

100% this. We didn't play especially well but it was a glorified friendly, I bet Ford wishes he didn't have to play any of these last 3 games. We do have some defensive issues out wide as we all know but I don't think the Newcastle game had much relevance to them.

11 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

100% this. We didn't play especially well but it was a glorified friendly, I bet Ford wishes he didn't have to play any of these last 3 games. We do have some defensive issues out wide as we all know but I don't think the Newcastle game had much relevance to them.

Exactly PH wouldn't it be lovely if the RFL let us have reserves and academy sides next year

On 10/09/2023 at 09:41, POR said:

Now the dust has settled I've got to laugh at folks complaining we conceded 22 points against thunder with a mismatched side who were always going to concede tries

BUT people are forgetting we scored 56 points again  we scored 10 tries again but that's not good enough for some so all I can say to the naysayers be thankful you're not a TO fan who lost again at Fax last night:kolobok_grin:

We didn't score 10 tries against Toulouse and Halifax though, they're the teams that matter as their likes will be whom we meet in the play offs. We won't score 10 tries against Toulouse and Halifax but we need to stop 4 tries. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, haskey said:

Then if we played our" reserves " being Fev we would have been fined for not playing our first team players..

Does that law apply in RL, I thought it was only football?  I remember a couple of years ago St. Helens played their academy side at Castleford on a televised Friday evening game, I don't recall any cone back on them.

Edited by Andrew Vause
Extra sentence

21 minutes ago, Andrew Vause said:

We didn't score 10 tries against Toulouse and Halifax though, they're the teams that matter as their likes will be whom we meet in the play offs. We won't score 10 tries against Toulouse and Halifax but we need to stop 4 tries. 

That  maybe true A but your missing the point A some folks on her were complaining about or performance against thunder without appreciating we played with a pick and mix side

17 minutes ago, Andrew Vause said:

Does that law apply in RL, I thought it was only football?  I remember a couple of years ago St. Helens played their academy side at Castleford on a televised Friday evening game, I don't recall any cone back on them.

AND in 19 A they played weakened teams twice against the broncos back end of season much to the chagrin of HKR who ended up on the same points going into last game of season 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/09/2023 at 09:45, Andrew Vause said:

Someone actually laughed at this post. 

I've watched RL for 50 years mate. 

On 10/09/2023 at 09:41, sentoffagain2 said:

Not changed my opinion on our defence.Points Newcastle have scored at home to the top teams this season.Fev 22  Sheffield 20 Toulouse 16  Fax 16  Batley 12 Bradford 12  York 6 Widnes 6 and London 6. 

Well  i appear to won the argument about our defence.Very poor again last night against a good London side.When will people listen big games defence wins matches.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Well  i appear to won the argument about our defence.Very poor again last night against a good London side.When will people listen big games defence wins matches.

Was just saying similar at the time and got laughed at. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew Vause said:

Was just saying similar at the time and got laughed at. 

I am used to that after watching the game 70 years i should have some idea.i noticed at the time you were the only one on my side .Not surprised i know you understand the game.Bonus for me living in Sheffield i have 5 away games easier to get to than Fev.Donny  Dewsbury Batley Wakey and Sheffield but it's going to be a long winter.

• Like 1