Sunday vs Whitehaven

Keep The Faith

Is it the biggest 80 minutes of the season? I think so it mental to think over 8 weeks ago we were 2nd after smashing fax 42-0 and both clubs made Wembley but could miss out on the 6 following terrible results in the last 7 weeks 

Hopefully the table turn and we get a result and performance we can get behind 

Yes, it's massive, elsewhere I've set out every team's run-in and I believe 2 wins will be enough. Winning on Sunday is a confidence builder and we must expect every man to do his duty!

I'm not a pessimistic person, just a realist. Haven have more to play for, although unlikely I think that they still are mathematically in the relegation zone. Our lads have only a potential of a play-off spot which will likely only be one more game after an already long and heavy season. Do they need that extra game, what is in it for them and Batley as a club? So psychologically, Haven may well have the upper hand. All to play for on the day but Havens reward is greater than the reward for Batley and that alone could be the difference on Sunday, regardless of which team we put out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BullyXL said:

I'm not a pessimistic person, just a realist. Haven have more to play for, although unlikely I think that they still are mathematically in the relegation zone. Our lads have only a potential of a play-off spot which will likely only be one more game after an already long and heavy season. Do they need that extra game, what is in it for them and Batley as a club? So psychologically, Haven may well have the upper hand. All to play for on the day but Havens reward is greater than the reward for Batley and that alone could be the difference on Sunday, regardless of which team we put out. 

I’m a realistic person but let’s be honest if we want progress as a club we need to be in the top 6.. imagine if the public seeing us on tv in the play offs for the sponsorship etc 

3 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

I’m a realistic person but let’s be honest if we want progress as a club we need to be in the top 6.. imagine if the public seeing us on tv in the play offs for the sponsorship etc 

But will these players be a part of that "progress"? Will the thought of the club's future be a sufficient spur?

Realistically you should win with a bit in hand bur RL is a funny old game.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I'm reasonably sure of 2 things; a) a few won't be part of the club's future and b) those players won't want to leave with any bad feelings so I reckon they'll still want to be giving everything they've got. They'll want a top 6 place, 5th is still possible, Bulls on a tight, defenders' pitch....we'll edge Whitehaven and give Newcastle a clump.

5 hours ago, BullyXL said:

Whole heartedly agree. I think the situation batley find themselves in isn't totally indicative of their own shortcomings. The sport as a whole is to blame.

When does it become too predictable with always playing catch up/ punching above our weight and merely breaking even as a goal.

We all know the trapdoor would mean curtains. Negative I know but I'm dussilusioned and have been since diskin/ lockdown.

Its a results based entertainment business. When success costs its time to blow the whistle for full time

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

27 minutes ago, 9' oller said:

Whole heartedly agree. I think the situation batley find themselves in isn't totally indicative of their own shortcomings. The sport as a whole is to blame.

When does it become too predictable with always playing catch up/ punching above our weight and merely breaking even as a goal.

We all know the trapdoor would mean curtains. Negative I know but I'm dussilusioned and have been since diskin/ lockdown.

Its a results based entertainment business. When success costs its time to blow the whistle for full time

dussilusioned? You’ve missed the best 3 years of watching Batley R.L.F.C. history in recent times  Hopefully moxon and co still continue the success… it doesn’t have to stop because we won’t be in SL that will never happen but try and be the best Part time club maybe if more people who turn up for the Boxing Day or grand final or even 1895 cup final turned up 60% of the time we’d be  better off financially 

Edited by Keep The Faith
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

dussilusioned? You’ve missed the best 3 years of watching Batley R.L.F.C. history in recent times  Hopefully moxon and co still continue the success… it doesn’t have to stop because we won’t be in SL that will never happen but try and be the best Part time club maybe if more people who turn up for the Boxing Day or grand final or even 1895 cup final turned up 60% of the time we’d be  better off financially 

Still no kids Tom, who both play both codes? Work for yourself practically 6 days a week? Sometimes trudging up to the mount to witness what can usually be predicted doesn't fill you with much excitement to the end of a working week?

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

And again the "best 3 years" to paraphrase have got us were exactly?

All I can see is bickering/ uncertainties and a probable disappointing end to the year which Craig nor the lads deserve

27 minutes ago, 9' oller said:

And again the "best 3 years" to paraphrase have got us were exactly?

All I can see is bickering/ uncertainties and a probable disappointing end to the year which Craig nor the lads deserve

Bickering? Where? I agree with KTF. These past few years have been great. Each game is worth winning, brings its own pleasure.  Losing, especially at the moment is annoying and painful. But isn't that every supporter's lot? 

Well, interesting!! DD yes losing IS part of the game but from being second to then getting walked over AT HOME 42 and 49, then lose to 3rd bottom etc etc....and you and I and your dad have seen enough of that in the past. Then KTF yes how many more close seasons can we cry poor when it's clear, to most but maybe not in the right areas, that the squad is now too old and played out. If Mokko's phone turns hot will we still be saying no and not rectify the problem? And as for those who say we shouldn't expect to be among the front runners year on year, why not and why; if we are, should it be 'little old Batley punching above their weight'? Wouldn't it be nice to do well punching at our proper weight? If we don't continue punching at any weight the dead men await.

• Like 1

The amount of money we can offer has to change, end of story. We've been very fortunate to have kept a few of the players we have over the past 3 years during the Covid/ cost of living crisis especially the lads travelling over from Lancashire but now we have to offer a bit more 'modern money' to attract players to keep the club buoyant and challenging.

22 minutes ago, phildog said:

The amount of money we can offer has to change, end of story. We've been very fortunate to have kept a few of the players we have over the past 3 years during the Covid/ cost of living crisis especially the lads travelling over from Lancashire but now we have to offer a bit more 'modern money' to attract players to keep the club buoyant and challenging.

have you got a magic pot of money ? its all well and good saying we have to offer more money, but if we ain't got it ,we ain't got it unless a sugar daddy comes along and is happy to invest loads of money into the club we are where we are and still have a club to support 

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

That's it the old money consideration. We all bemoaned kn for not using some bissa cash in final third of season. Fresh legs a young up and comer or super league loanee. But it is money we'll spent next season when a good 50% of personnel turnover could happen?

I just think the game is flawed when it costs to succeed . Not being extra speccies tempted back or ditching glamour sides for their home town but rather the governing body make it lucrative.

Are the board secretley hoping play offs are missed due to cost implications. Do 2 or 3 extra games actually reward the bulldog current account sufficiently 

26 minutes ago, 9' oller said:

That's it the old money consideration. We all bemoaned kn for not using some bissa cash in final third of season. Fresh legs a young up and comer or super league loanee. But it is money we'll spent next season when a good 50% of personnel turnover could happen?

I just think the game is flawed when it costs to succeed . Not being extra speccies tempted back or ditching glamour sides for their home town but rather the governing body make it lucrative.

Are the board secretley hoping play offs are missed due to cost implications. Do 2 or 3 extra games actually reward the bulldog current account sufficiently 

I know what you mean, but I think that this is applicable throughout all sports at all levels.  For right or wrong, money is the deciding factor at every step of the way, and we have shown success despite this. It struck me recently how far we are behind the rest when I looked at Fev's admission prices for next season. Even if they are not promoted, it is £25 admission on the day. That is at least twice as much per spectator as we receive, and they get approximately twice as many watching as we do. The difference in revenue is huge even before commercial activities are taken into account. 

On the plus side, we must be better off financially after an extended losing run!

51 minutes ago, distantdog said:

I know what you mean, but I think that this is applicable throughout all sports at all levels.  For right or wrong, money is the deciding factor at every step of the way, and we have shown success despite this. It struck me recently how far we are behind the rest when I looked at Fev's admission prices for next season. Even if they are not promoted, it is £25 admission on the day. That is at least twice as much per spectator as we receive, and they get approximately twice as many watching as we do. The difference in revenue is huge even before commercial activities are taken into account. 

On the plus side, we must be better off financially after an extended losing run!

but on the minus side war chest pot wont be getting added to, but you are right in what you say about difference in revenue between us and other clubs and its not for the lack of trying by the BOD, if we could get home gates of all those that were at Wembley and we would be laughing. In all my time of watching Batley, we have never been a rich club and spending beyond our means except for that time just after we got the sky money and that nearly took them a one way street to poverty if Kev and others hadn't have stepped in to steady the ship.

• Like 1

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

Sad way of having to look at it DD!! We'll find out whether the 10er in has paid any dividend. Seeing as there were sponsors ready to cover a loss of around 30k, might we have been better keeping prices where they were and using that offer to sub the wages of 3 players? Will those sponsors be willing to put it in next season, along with some BISSA input we could set Mokko off. We've had a great run with decent hard workers but we know it's time to replace, money is the only way. Where from? Who knows! I've said it before why not reintroduce the Lifeline draw, do it monthly, 1000 numbers, £2 as before, that makes the club 5K by league time in February. More concerts, indoor when necessary etc etc everything into a signing pot, not to be tinkered with. IMO hopeless opinion; it's doable.

!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, phildog said:

Sad way of having to look at it DD!! We'll find out whether the 10er in has paid any dividend. Seeing as there were sponsors ready to cover a loss of around 30k, might we have been better keeping prices where they were and using that offer to sub the wages of 3 players? Will those sponsors be willing to put it in next season, along with some BISSA input we could set Mokko off. We've had a great run with decent hard workers but we know it's time to replace, money is the only way. Where from? Who knows! I've said it before why not reintroduce the Lifeline draw, do it monthly, 1000 numbers, £2 as before, that makes the club 5K by league time in February. More concerts, indoor when necessary etc etc everything into a signing pot, not to be tinkered with. IMO hopeless opinion; it's doable.

!

Nothings hopeless PD, opinions or otherwise. And we still have a decent chance of getting to the play-offs, which l always thought should be a realistic aim.

On the reduced admission, it was initially introduced as a reaction to the cost of living crisis, which is why l think the sponsors supported it. I agree on the draw, but hated the name. It smacks of desperation. But whatever it as or is called, it worked during lockdown so why not now?

Anyway, enough thread drift! I am confident of a win against 'haven. Us by 1.

Edited by distantdog

2 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

Why wouldn’t they? 🤦🏻‍♂️ Do you think it’s gonna be a poor afternoon 

No not one bit of it, looking at the weather forecast it looks like it will be needed, one thing that wants attention to is the queuing for the food outlet, doesn't that top outlet do pies or anything like that.