Sat 16th - Sun 17th Sept: The Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

17 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

That's how it used to be and when a bonus was offered the players often played better.An International player who played in the 1960's and 70's told me they sometimes went easy in the first half.And the chairman would come into the dressing room at half time and offer them an extra £5 each if they won.I know because i worked for the chairman and knew a few players.It was a team that has just been relegated in tthe 1960's.The chairman died much too young in his late 50's.Champioship teams will have nothing to play for without promotion and will get the same money win or lose.Players care more about their own performance and contribution to the team than the result.

Exactly what happened in the doc ' Another bloody Sunday' , chairman comes into dressing room and slaps a bundle of £10 notes on the table.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stirlin said:

Exactly what happened in the doc ' Another bloody Sunday' , chairman comes into dressing room and slaps a bundle of £10 notes on the table.

Doesn't mean the game was better fifty years ago, though, does it?

Quite the opposite, really.

Edited by Griff
  • Confused 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

On 18/09/2023 at 13:54, The Phantom Horseman said:

Nothing too serious I hope, hope she's on the mend.

Thank you. Yes, nothing too serious thankfully. Age catches up on us way to fast. 

As for the match, then I have to apologise to the referee, he made the correct call.

I've not had the time to watch the whole match but the highlights were clear. The camera angle was completely different to where we were and it was obvious that Ben stripped and then dropped the ball.  He really didn't need to do that considering there were 3 TO players holding up the Fév guy. At 22 he still has a lot to learn !

Onwards to Whitehaven this weekend. TO actually have a team and word has it that OAB could figure in the match. We are making the journey for this one...leaving our 30 degree sunny pool for a 14 degree mizzly Cumbria...really looking forward to it.

PS. any Whitehaven fans know anything about Moresby Hall Country House Hotel ? Looks half decent 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, kiggy said:

Onwards to Whitehaven this weekend. TO actually have a team and word has it that OAB could figure in the match. We are making the journey for this one...leaving our 30 degree sunny pool for a 14 degree mizzly Cumbria...really looking forward to it.

PS. any Whitehaven fans know anything about Moresby Hall Country House Hotel ? Looks half decent 

Bring your raincoat and wellies, forecast for the week isn't looking great which may have an impact on the pitch.

Think Moresby Hall has recently been given a little upgrade, not stayed there myself but by all accounts it's nice and does nice food.... just beware of the ghosts 👻!!

• Haha 1

a relation of mine used to run Moresby Hall way back when it was owned by High Duty Alloys , Prince Charles (now King Charles ) once stayed there .  Don`t know what it is like now as it has been renovated not so long ago .............He`s  right about the ghosts though  !

13 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Bring your raincoat and wellies, forecast for the week isn't looking great which may have an impact on the pitch.

Think Moresby Hall has recently been given a little upgrade, not stayed there myself but by all accounts it's nice and does nice food.... just beware of the ghosts 👻!!

Booked it anyway, looks nice. Not sure I shall be telling Mrs Kiggy about the ghosts. She's only just getting over my skeletons in the cupboard.

Just driven up from Stansted, through a monsoon. Good preparation for Saturday in the lakes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...