London Skolars

spanishknight

Very sad day for Rugby League after 28 years of struggling the Skolars are going into the amateur ranks, hopefully this is a temporary set back but I fear the worst.

Rugby League for far too long has been parochial in it’s outlook, the so called big teams are only interested in themselves, a lot of supporters are so narrow minded that they cannot see the game outside the M62 corridor. I am sick of hearing all the negatives surrounding teams outside the heartlands people whining about how far they have to travel when they play teams south of Sheffield. Come into the real world or this great game of ours will die, more through apathy than anything else. When I lived down under it was a 1000 km trip each way to a lot of away games, that is just the way it is, here the supporters moan if they have to go a tenth of that. Teams like the Skolars were doing it every other week not once a season, we should be encouraging them and embracing them into our family not revelling in the fact yet another expansion club is being lost from the pro game.The RFL as a whole needs to take a long hard look at itself. I know IMG are coming in but I suspect they are only going to be interested in the top tier, I hope I am wrong.

Edited by Expatknight
Typo
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Expatknight said:

Very sad day for Rugby League after 28 years of struggling the Skolars are going into the amateur ranks, hopefully this is a temporary set back but I fear the worst.

Rugby League for far too long has been parochial in it’s outlook, the so called big teams are only interested in themselves, a lot of supporters are so narrow minded that they cannot see the game outside the M62 corridor. I am sick of hearing all the negatives surrounding teams outside the heartlands people whining about how far they have to travel when they play teams south of Sheffield. Come into the real world or this great game of ours will die, more through apathy than anything else. When I lived down under it was a 1000 km trip each way to a lot of away games, that is just the way it is, here the supporters moan if they have to go a tenth of that. Teams like the Skolars were doing it every other week not once a season, we should be encouraging them and embracing them into our family not revelling in the fact yet another expansion club is being lost from the pro game.The RFL as a whole needs to take a long hard look at itself. I know IMG are coming in but I suspect they are only going to be interested in the top tier, I hope I am wrong.

Unfortunately I don't think you are wrong 

• Like 1

It's nothing to do with the distances fans travel it's the quality of the rugby when you get there that's the issue.

As a fan I do not get anything out of travelling over 200 miles each way to watch my team run up 60, 70, 80 points in a game. When fixtures like that are on that weekend I will usually pick out a good local amateur game and go watch that.

Before anyone jumps down my throat saying I'm not a proper supporter I have watched my team Keighley since i was a boy and still travel home and away most weeks and have done for nearly 60 years.

I hope we avoid relegation this season but if we go down i will still go home and away but sticking big scores on teams isn't why i watch rugby. I would rather watch a game that finishes 10:6 than 100:6.

• Like 5

On 15/09/2023 at 15:32, Nige Arro said:

London was never going to support 2 teams long term, kick and clap is king.

Seem struggling to support one London club at the moment judging on the highlights of recent games the Broncos have been playing and I'm not to sure if league one can keep going with the amount of club's left.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Skolars are in the Southern Conference this year.

I notice that Skolars lost to Eastern Rhinos 20-48 at home last week and today lost 68-8 away at Brentwood Eels.

I'm not really posting this for any reason other than lamenting the current woes of a really forward thinking club.  I hope they can get on an upward trend soon.

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Skolars are in the Southern Conference this year.

I notice that Skolars lost to Eastern Rhinos 20-48 at home last week and today lost 68-8 away at Brentwood Eels.

I'm not really posting this for any reason other than lamenting the current woes of a really forward thinking club.  I hope they can get on an upward trend soon.

They went to Brentwood with just 11 players. Fingers crossed that it is an upwards trajectory from here.