24 Squad

gilbert08

7 hours ago, Forever Chasing an egg said:

Johnson and Jackson at halves is a weak point as it stands, Johnson was inconsistent at times last year and needs a calm, clinical and controlling head next to him like Sammut...I don't believe Jackson showed that last year.. need to sign someone proven at Championship level as his partner

Don’t think sammutt was a “controlling head” do you not remember keighley away last year when we’re 12-10 or 12-6 up going up the hill and he did a short kick which they gathered and scored off?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Rod77 said:

Don’t think sammutt was a “controlling head” do you not remember keighley away last year when we’re 12-10 or 12-6 up going up the hill and he did a short kick which they gathered and scored off?

If doing something stupid that results in the opposing team scoring is your line in the sand, the whole team was guilty of that last season. The discipline was appalling at times.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dave W said:

If doing something stupid that results in the opposing team scoring is your line in the sand, the whole team was guilty of that last season. The discipline was appalling at times.

Yes mate doing something stupid that causes your team to lose is the line in the sand. You clearly never went to that game and watched his performance might aswell of played for them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rod77 said:

Yes mate doing something stupid that causes your team to lose is the line in the sand. You clearly never went to that game and watched his performance might aswell of played for them.

Think at that game he also committed the cardinal sin of not finding touch from a penalty, something he was guilty of several times during the season. Johnson always found touch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rod77 said:

I'm not defending him by any means.

My point is, you seem to be focused on the errors of one player. It wasn't just Sammut: We lost several winnable games last year due to indiscipline, individual errors and bad decisions.

For what it's worth, I think another season with Sammut would have been one too many. We need to look to the future. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, red square said:

I can remember the applause on several occasions when Sammut surprised everyone with a short kick and we re-gained control of the ball, it doesn't always come off but that's the risk you take.

Do agree with this although there is a time and a place to try some of the things he did.. and sometimes it wasn’t the right thing to do, which is what I think people are saying 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Neutralfan7 said:

I've heard if you want him you've got to pay now, another twist in the never ending story it seems

Am I correct in thinking he stopped playing for Haven because he wasn’t getting paid? 
If so surely the club were in breach of contract? It all sounds a bit messy!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RLDB said:

Am I correct in thinking he stopped playing for Haven because he wasn’t getting paid? 
If so surely the club were in breach of contract? It all sounds a bit messy!

Tbh mate I don't think anyone knows the proper story, at first I think he stopped as he wasn't paid which is fair enough, then barrow allegedly made an illegal approch for him and didn't go through the proper channels. Went to a tribunal which ruled in haven favour, he got paid up until he stopped turning up and now the RFL have ruled there won't be a 2nd tribunal hence now the need for barrow to pay if they want him. Barrow initially were offered to buy him but refused and now that's the case again, if they want him they buy him. You're right, it's very messy and pretty much all just hearsay! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Tbh mate I don't think anyone knows the proper story, at first I think he stopped as he wasn't paid which is fair enough, then barrow allegedly made an illegal approch for him and didn't go through the proper channels. Went to a tribunal which ruled in haven favour, he got paid up until he stopped turning up and now the RFL have ruled there won't be a 2nd tribunal hence now the need for barrow to pay if they want him. Barrow initially were offered to buy him but refused and now that's the case again, if they want him they buy him. You're right, it's very messy and pretty much all just hearsay! 

How long has he got left on his contract?

Be a shame for the lad to have to miss another season (or 2?) of rugby if nothing is resolved 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jarc said:

Be a shame for the lad to have to miss another season (or 2?) of rugby if nothing is resolved 

This year is his last year on contract with haven. 

so say they are demanding payment for him which I would assume they probably want around his yearly salary might be way off the mark but I’d assume that would be around 15-20k could we afford to pay that?

• Like 1

Walker has another year on contract at Haven until end of 2024 season. Haven were late in paying him (and others) last season but did not break his contract. Late payment can be made up contractually in a specified (short) period which Haven did. Tom got unsettled and refused to train / play for Haven and then his payment stopped.  As already said, it went to tribunal who ruled in favour of Haven thus the current stalemate.  Tom is too good a player to sit out a season whilst in his prime so he needs to return to training at Haven or move on for a substantial fee.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jarc said:

He’s got another year. Barrow got into him, unsettled him then refused to pay as they wanted him for nothing. If he misses out next season then that is entirely Barrows fault. Shame because he is too good to be sitting on his backside. At the same time can’t blame Haven for not wanting to just give him to a rival team.

3 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Barrow were offered the chance to sign him for 15K, I would imagine that would be pushed up more towards the 20K now

Previously insolvent Whitehaven want the same money for a not-bad forward as we received from Super League Saints for the best winger in the Championship for 2 consecutive seasons, scoring over 60 tries. Sorry, these 2 are not comparable on the talent table. $20K is way too much to ask.

Edited by 2Cents
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, 2Cents said:

Previously insolvent Whitehaven want the same money for a not-bad forward as we received from Super League Saints for the best winger in the Championship for 2 consecutive seasons, scoring over 60 tries. Sorry, these 2 are not comparable on the talent table. $20K is way too much to ask.

I didn't compare them? I'm guessing it's based on what would be earned over a season or 2. All I would say is if Haven look at it like Barrow need Walker to boost there pack they might add on a few K and given the previous one was 15K it would be closer to 20K. In the championship I would say Walker is much more than a 'not-bad forward' getting in team of the season after missing about half of it would back that up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marrafan said:

He’s got another year. Barrow got into him, unsettled him then refused to pay as they wanted him for nothing. If he misses out next season then that is entirely Barrows fault. Shame because he is too good to be sitting on his backside. At the same time can’t blame Haven for not wanting to just give him to a rival team.

I think you missed the part of late payment/s on Havens part which is what may have triggered Barrow interest in the first place?

Barrow making an illegal approach is debatable,I reckon Jake Carter may have had an inkling about signing for Haven when Barrow released him?

Barrow do not believe in keeping unhappy players or players who have an opportunity elsewhere,credit to them for that.

Edited by HP Beans
  • Like 1