24 Squad

gilbert08

Gareth Widdup - Halifax

Craig Hall - Doncaster 

Ben Jones Bishop - Sheff

Young Wigan halfback Astley 2 year deal at Oldham

maybe some of these young Wigan kids would rather sign fulltime for local clubs than play reserve footy or travell to Barrow?????

Castleford & Batley working together 

2023 saw 36 players turn out for the Raiders..one new addition so far but with 22 out of contract/retired/left looks like 15 signed up for 2024.If Danny Langtree leaves that's down to 14 although Gillam/Jackson/Wells/ DToal not included. Last season we started with about 27 so there's plenty of scope for new faces.

Competition for Championship players will be that much keener along the M62 corridor with Donny/Dewsbury/Trinity back..makes more sense than ever to recruit locally if possible.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Indigogo said:

Heard that you guys are signing Brad Walker from us. Think he is from up that way isn't he?

That would make sense. He’s from Askam and big mates with a couple of players already here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raider83 said:

Outside back Max Clarke new signing 

When you read the press release it says he’s second row / centre who can also cover wing. At 6’5” and a big lad I'd say he’ll be playing 2nd row more than the backs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RLDB said:

When you read the press release it says he’s second row / centre who can also cover wing. At 6’5” and a big lad I'd say he’ll be playing 2nd row more than the backs. 

Always handy having a player who can cover forwards and backs especially if someone gets injured during a game. 

We have historically relied on Stacky for that but father time unfortunately slows everyone's legs down as they get older so probably unfair to keep sticking him there. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RLDB said:

Hope he's a back row predominantly. We have a lot of outside backs signed already. It's front rowers and a half back we need now 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Raider91 said:

Yeah, handy pick up for us covers 13 and 6. Out of curiosity how did he play for you last year?

Truth be told he wasn't great. Towards the end he wasn't getting in the team unless we were down to the last available 18. He looked to have lost interest, not sure if that was due to all the issues we had but it's probably for the best that he moves on.

His best rugby was definitely played at 13 for us and he looked good there early in the season. Then due to our consistent outgoings he was moved to 6 and I don't think he likes it. There were lots of instances where he'd not find touch with penalties but then kick dead from kick offs and at end of sets.

I do think there's a really good player in there, especially when you're on top in games. I'd just slightly question his fight and willingness to dig in, in close, hard fought games. Like I said though, that might have been a product of us as club last season. There wasn't much to write home about! I wish him well if he does join you and hope he gets back to playing good rugby and enjoying himelf.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ulverstonian said:

Bit harsh on Sammut that I think  he , in my opinion was good last season. Yes a few bowlers, but always good in defence and had the opposition on edge. He created alot of tries rather than scored them as per season b4.

Just my opinion 

I'd prefer him playing for us than against us!

21 minutes ago, ghost of uncle fester said:

Brads best position by a million miles is at loose forward,were he made his name at Widnes and Wakefield,if true that's a great pick up,re the hooker was few rumours around James Newton from haven nothing more than rumour but don't think he's been confirmed at haven yet for 24,millom lad and be a solid back up to Josh 

Would agree that Brad's best position by far is loose forward. Doesn't have the pace/acceleration to play in the halves imo. I do agree he would be a great pick up if you get him playing again, just don't think Keighley worked out for him once we got rid of Lovegrove.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RLDB said:

Very diverse, especially being a forward to playing in the backs and as a winger?

• Like 2
BarrowRaiders-Enforcer-1.png