Avignon - Translation Needed

11 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Is anyone of our local French speakers able to summarise the attached article? 

FB_IMG_1696452178690.jpg

From a different website:

Younes Khattabi dreams of Super League for Avignon

WRITTEN BY NICOLAS · OCTOBER 2, 2023

Younes Khattabi, president of SO Avignon, told La Provence that he dreams of Super League for his club.

It has now been a little over a year since the former Catalan Dragons player took over the presidency of the SOA. Younes Khattabi explained that this new challenge was very interesting even if it was very different from the player's. He hopes to meet the expectations of the people who support the club and wants to dream big for the Bison. He explained to La Provence:

We need a big project in Avignon, or even a Super League club. This positive energy and optimism are part of me. I have always seen the glass half full, there is nothing impossible.

While Elite 1 is still struggling to take off, Avignon is another club looking towards England while Carcassonne has confirmed that it has taken action for an entry into the RFL competitions hoped for 2025.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

From a different website:

Younes Khattabi dreams of Super League for Avignon

WRITTEN BY NICOLAS · OCTOBER 2, 2023

Younes Khattabi, president of SO Avignon, told La Provence that he dreams of Super League for his club.

It has now been a little over a year since the former Catalan Dragons player took over the presidency of the SOA. Younes Khattabi explained that this new challenge was very interesting even if it was very different from the player's. He hopes to meet the expectations of the people who support the club and wants to dream big for the Bison. He explained to La Provence:

We need a big project in Avignon, or even a Super League club. This positive energy and optimism are part of me. I have always seen the glass half full, there is nothing impossible.

While Elite 1 is still struggling to take off, Avignon is another club looking towards England while Carcassonne has confirmed that it has taken action for an entry into the RFL competitions hoped for 2025.

Thanks, it's not the translation for the article in the original post but seems like similar talking points?

It mentions how he was the first Frenchman to score a cup final try at Wembley, how his strategy is to get another French team into what was originally an English-only comp (I think the author may be a bit off here...). He seems to have changed the focus of his business to solar panels and to have sold 7 of his 9 outlets in order to finance his club.

It's basically a profile piece outlining his business and sporting interests and how he hopes to grow his club.

• Thanks 3

It appears to say that he is working with IMG to stage 12 big RL games and 3 other sporting events and that he's talking to the council about use of the parc des sports. But I think that's 12 games as part of SOA eventually being in SL rather than some separate plan. He points out at the start that Avignon, unlike other French cities, doesn't currently have a big sports team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, JonM said:

It appears to say that he is working with IMG to stage 12 big RL games and 3 other sporting events and that he's talking to the council about use of the parc des sports. But I think that's 12 games as part of SOA eventually being in SL rather than some separate plan. He points out at the start that Avignon, unlike other French cities, doesn't currently have a big sports team.

I won’t get excited as obviously we’ve heard stuff like this before, but Avignon is a cracking little city and having them in SL would be brilliant. As JonM says they haven’t got a professional football or Yawnion club in town to compete with either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I won’t get excited as obviously we’ve heard stuff like this before, but Avignon is a cracking little city and having them in SL would be brilliant. As JonM says they haven’t got a professional football or Yawnion club in town to compete with either. 

Yep, amazing and beautiful city. UK fans would LOVE travelling to Avignon and in my view the perfect away day. 

They sit in a department of nearly 600,000 people, with no other pro sports team, a SL standard stadium, in an area that's produced a lot of good players. 

Salon is down the road and Marseille is nearby. So they have all the right ingredients, they just need the right strategy and I'm guessing some investment. 

We have heard this many times before though from Avignon and its come to nothing so I won't hold my breath 

• Like 1

I always remember Avignon as the place that always gets huge crowds for internationals. I've no idea why anyone has never tried to work this area more!

If we could just find the money to fund the extra French clubs! That's potentially Catalans, Toulouse, Carcassonne and Avignon. So frustrating!

• Like 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

3 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I always remember Avignon as the place that always gets huge crowds for internationals. I've no idea why anyone has never tried to work this area more!

If we could just find the money to fund the extra French clubs! That's potentially Catalans, Toulouse, Carcassonne and Avignon. So frustrating!

It’s dreamland stuff and entirely implausible at the moment, but we can hope! 

8 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It needs a Bernard Gausch, Derek Beaumont type person who sees the potential and wants to put their hands in their pockets. 

2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

It needs a Bernard Gausch, Derek Beaumont type person who sees the potential and wants to put their hands in their pockets. 

It would be funding without return for a long time though, including no TV rights. They could do a Toronto I suppose and have the agreement that any future French based TV rights go directly to French clubs if they agree no British TV rights income. But I doubt you'd get many takers in the French game.

• Like 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg