London (Merged Threads)

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Would these then be the first ever part time players in SL? (If they shifted their day off?) 

No.  There were loads in 1996.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

It would halp London's cause greatly if they tried to reconnect with their former fanbase and the what's left of the RL community down south. I am an ex-season ticket holder up to the pandemic angered by The Monkey-Lover and the move but no-one has ever tried to e-mail me to see if I am still interested.

I thinks the clubs attitude is almost like its the Hughes family version of Lashings, https://lashingsworld.com/cricket/ where it's a collection of players brought together to play for an owner in a series of exhibition games rather than a Rugby League club that is a integral part of the fabric of the area in which it plays.

Not that there may be that large an marketing budget once AFC Wimbledon have their new floodlight, which the Hughes family agreed to as part of the tenancy. And of course when the Dons re-seed the ground it might be problematic to play at Ebbsfleet or Rosslyn Park in particular which could delay this years fixtures coming out.

Maybe there is a correlation between this approach and the low score the Broncos have achieved under IMG grading. #Just a thought.

• Like 6

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

9 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

It would halp London's cause greatly if they tried to reconnect with their former fanbase and the what's left of the RL community down south. I am an ex-season ticket holder up to the pandemic angered by The Monkey-Lover and the move but no-one has ever tried to e-mail me to see if I am still interested.

I thinks the clubs attitude is almost like its the Hughes family version of Lashings, https://lashingsworld.com/cricket/ where it's a collection of players brought together to play for an owner in a series of exhibition games rather than a Rugby League club that is a integral part of the fabric of the area in which it plays.

Not that there may be that large an marketing budget once AFC Wimbledon have their new floodlight, which the Hughes family agreed to as part of the tenancy. And of course when the Dons re-seed the ground it might be problematic to play at Ebbsfleet or Rosslyn Park in particular which could delay this years fixtures coming out.

Maybe there is a correlation between this approach and the low score the Broncos have achieved under IMG grading. #Just a thought.

How did the crowds compare at Ebbsfleet to AFC Wimbledon?

2 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

How did the crowds compare at Ebbsfleet to AFC Wimbledon?

Higher I think.

I want to ay 1,200 to 1,300 for both this year.

My view of games at Wimbledon is that there were 750 to 800 - although I think announced was higher.

So it is decently comparable.

As I mentioned elsewhere - Sheffield pulled 648 for their home play off against us and play in a field with a shed, and got a higher grading.

I am not sure owning a shed is an achievement.

When we played at Gillingham a few years ago there was clearly discussions going on about a potential move there. Medway Dragons seemed to be going well then but I don’t know what their current position is.

Comparing a couple of one-off matches at Ebbsfleet with Wimbledon is not really a fair comparison. I went to the first match at Plough Lane and there were clearly a lot of Wimbledon fans there. The crowds then dropped off. 

I don’t think that there is any easy answer. I would have preferred to stay at Trailfinders. We are obviously going to get bigger crowds because we are in the Super League. Then what? The most likely thing is another move in 2-3 years unfortunately. The Broncos are clearly a different sort of club to most, if not all, of the other clubs in the league. I just accept that now.

Edited by westlondonfan
  • Like 1

I would still like the Broncos to be like a county cricket club and have a HQ (can be Wimbledon if they insist) with a set of satellite venues (2 or 3) were they can play in the Summer. A game in Kent, another in Herts, another in Essex, say - each being an annual event that things can be planned for. But that would mean 4 landlords to fall out with.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, westlondonfan said:

When we played at Gillingham a few years ago there was clearly discussions going on about a potential move there. Medway Dragons seemed to be going well then but I don’t know what their current position is.

Comparing a couple of one-off matches at Ebbsfleet with Wimbledon is not really a fair comparison. I went to the first match at Plough Lane and there were clearly a lot of Wimbledon fans there. The crowds then dropped off. 

I don’t think that there is any easy answer. I would have preferred to stay at Trailfinders. We are obviously going to get bigger crowds because we are in the Super League. Then what? The most likely thing is another move in 2-3 years unfortunately. The Broncos are clearly a different sort of club to most, if not all, of the other clubs in the league. I just accept that now.

First game had tickets for £1. At this point, I wonder if letting people in for free might be the way to go. What is the opportunity cost? 

Especially as crowds matter.