(Yet another) restructuring thread

Just now, Rovers13 said:

But I think it will happen and SL clubs will be made to fund the champ clubs for it, that is my guess as champ clubs won’t budge unless they’re compensated for it. 

You are completely missing the point. League 1 clubs have already publicly stated they are asking for no more money. 

• Like 1

Just now, Roughyed Rats said:

You are completely missing the point. League 1 clubs have already publicly stated they are asking for no more money. 

No but champ clubs need it to accommodate you, medical fees, staff costs etc will be higher with more games etc. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

You have to remember the champ clubs won’t have budgeted for an extra 16 fixtures or however many extra fixtures they will have. 

What extra fixtures?

Nobody's suggesting that 22 clubs are going to play each other home and away.

Largely because it won't happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

57 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

I agree but I’d like to think this was discussed other day when they wanted to put 9 in the league, if not why not? 

Good question. I doubt it even got that far and intransigent minds had already been made up before the opening case was made.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Griff said:

What extra fixtures?

Nobody's suggesting that 22 clubs are going to play each other home and away.

Largely because it won't happen.

I agree there won’t be that many extra fixtures but I’d be surprised if their isn’t extra fixtures. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChristianB said:

Good question. I doubt it even got that far and intransigent minds had already been made up before the opening case was made.

Maybe so I don’t know tbh, but if they didn’t lay the plan down before a vote there is something seriously wrong especially if they just said do you want these 9 clubs or not?. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rovers13 said:

Maybe so I don’t know tbh, but if they didn’t lay the plan down before a vote there is something seriously wrong especially if they just said do you want these 9 clubs or not?. 

I don't think they even needed to ask the question as the clubs would have already known it was coming for a while. And prepared accordingly.

Still, I suspect a few Championship sides are quietly accepting of the fundamental idea. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rovers13 said:

I agree there won’t be that many extra fixtures but I’d be surprised if their isn’t extra fixtures. 

Prepare to be surprised.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Griff said:

Prepare to be surprised.

I don’t see how unless their cherry picked fixtures, but then that opens a new debate because with no tv deal etc I’m guessing every club would want the best supported clubs at home, who’d be a owner hey lol. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

I don’t see how unless their cherry picked fixtures, but then that opens a new debate because with no tv deal etc I’m guessing every club would want the best supported clubs at home, who’d be a owner hey lol. 

It's not like this hasn't happened before, is it?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rovers13 said:

You have to remember though champ clubs have probably sold 80% or more of their season tickets for next season for a certain amount of games, having more games won’t cover staff costs or player costs unless you get 1k away fans which barring a few teams won’t happen. 

Agree but any league structure change - if it ends up with similar amount of games should not cause too much of a problem with season tickets as fixtures are not out yet.

7 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Agree but any league structure change - if it ends up with similar amount of games should not cause too much of a problem with season tickets as fixtures are not out yet.

This is the only way it will happen with no extra fixtures but are a bulls say gonna lose a fev home game for say a Workington home game? I doubt bulls would agree to that. 

2 hours ago, Rovers13 said:

Fixtures should be nothing to do with owners. Should be done by RFL as a template with numbers 

1v3

4v6 etc

keep the same template for the following seasons [as long as lose no more teams]

where the teams finish in league will decide who plays who! 

3 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Fixtures should be nothing to do with owners. Should be done by RFL as a template with numbers 

1v3

4v6 etc

keep the same template for the following seasons [as long as lose no more teams]

where the teams finish in league will decide who plays who! 

That would give teams something to play for I guess but then you’ve an owner saying I’m trying to do everything I can to get into SL but I can’t build a good team and a grade A club so I’m out etc. 

Edited by Rovers13
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Derwent Parker said:

RFL supposed to run league - not bulls or any other team

Yea but my point is most clubs in champ will of budgeted for their season some I’d guess with no money will budget too on away fans( no I don’t agree with it either) but I’d say Batley budget on a home crowd from fev say and they get an home crowd from Rochdale. 

• Like 1

The game inside the top flight is financially hamstrung, so it definitely is outside the top flight, Batley are guaranteed a fev game every season at home and a bulls etc, you take those away Batley could be in financial trouble, im not saying Batley do budget for this as their a well run club it was just an example, but I’d be surprised if some champ clubs don’t budget on away fans. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

The game inside the top flight is financially hamstrung, so it definitely is outside the top flight, Batley are guaranteed a fev game every season at home and a bulls etc, you take those away Batley could be in financial trouble, im not saying Batley do budget for this as their a well run club it was just an example, but I’d be surprised if some champ clubs don’t budget on away fans. 

Do you have an alternative for the League One clubs other than a merger with the Championship and weighted fixture lists/conference/sub-divisions etc?

It’s very easy to knock other people’s suggestions, but what do you have of your own?

Or would you have no problem with those League One clubs going to the wall which could be their reality?

• Like 2