(Yet another) restructuring thread

6 hours ago, Bulls2487 said:

When you look at the history books. Bulls and Fev will show as defeated Semi Finalists and I believe funding for 2024 is based on where you finish in the playoffs.

Any decent Bulls fan will tell you we are happy with our season in 2023 and Odsal ain't fit for purpose but we don't have the funds to improve.

Fev have told everyone that it's a one horse for the past 3 seasons so have to take it when they fail.

No chance of SL expanding to 14

Tbh I've said all season that Fev aren't good enough to see it through. Yes, we walked the league but we've always looked a bit clunky in attack and weak down the edges in defence. Fev got some of the wins purely based on individual talent turning it on when needed, left it too late against London and failed. I've heard speculation but I've nothing factual of what was going on with Longy but had Fev had a dedicated/decent coaching set up from the off, I don't think anyone would've got close to them. It also didn't help that Fev didn't have a settled 6 & 7. I would've liked to seen them given a season in SL but the Championship is a fantastic competition with plenty of good teams so roll on 2024 and we go again.

1 hour ago, Derwent Parker said:

If it isn't SG - then it doesn't matter

I won’t call it SG it’s SL lol but it’s not the league it’s the owners of those clubs, it’s not SKY  or RFL stopping money filtering down, as for the money it’s tough as we need a product to sell but I’ve always said if you can’t spend full cap with a SKY prop up up you shouldn’t be in SL anyway. 

• Like 1

IMG support the principle of removing pure on the pitch P&R and is promoting a broader investment in the infrastructure of clubs through its grading system. Therefore, if they truly cared about the game as a whole, I’m sure they would promote the same principles outside of SL which a single division would support. Is that not giving every club that stability and also more of a level playing field for grading (central funding differentials aside)?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roughyed Rats said:

IMG support the principle of removing pure on the pitch P&R and is promoting a broader investment in the infrastructure of clubs through its grading system. Therefore, if they truly cared about the game as a whole, I’m sure they would promote the same principles outside of SL which a single division would support. Is that not giving every club that stability and also more of a level playing field for grading (central funding differentials aside)?

You have to remember though champ clubs have probably sold 80% or more of their season tickets for next season for a certain amount of games, having more games won’t cover staff costs or player costs unless you get 1k away fans which barring a few teams won’t happen. 

Edited by Rovers13

18 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

You have to remember though champ clubs have probably sold 80% or more of their season tickets for next season for a certain amount of games, having more games won’t cover staff costs or player costs unless you get 1k away fans which barring a few teams won’t happen. 

This is a very valid point. I would hope, however, that any 'merger' of divisions would prioritise these concerns, not least from the POV of player welfare.

18 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

Well as long as the Championship clubs are alright. Exactly the ‘I’m alright Jack’ mentality which is why the game as a whole is in crisis. 

2 minutes ago, ChristianB said:

This is a very valid point. I would hope, however, that any 'merger' of divisions would prioritise these concerns, not least from the POV of player welfare.

Then expect another 3 clubs to disappear in the next 12 months and the game shrink even smaller. Protectionism at its finest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roughyed Rats said:

Well as long as the Championship clubs are alright. Exactly the ‘I’m alright Jack’ mentality which is why the game as a whole is in crisis. 

No owner in their right mind would put more financial strain on their club especially in these times though, I don’t think it’s an im alright jack situation I think it’s more of a look what’s landed on our laps and we can’t afford to accommodate it. 

27 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

You’ve just described exactly the situation that League 1 clubs are facing. So it’s ok for them to deal with this but not us? Protectionism at its finest.

Edited by Roughyed Rats

1 minute ago, Roughyed Rats said:

You’ve just described exactly the situation that League 1 clubs are facing. So it’s ok for them to deal with this?

I think you should be looking to SL to help you out not us tbh. We have no money most clubs are hand to mouth. 

4 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

No owner in their right mind would put more financial strain on their club especially in these times though, I don’t think it’s an im alright jack situation I think it’s more of a look what’s landed on our laps and we can’t afford to accommodate it. 

I’m sorry you can’t afford it. Funnily enough, League 1 clubs are in an even worse position to be able to afford it. As long as you are ok though 👍

• Like 2

Just now, Roughyed Rats said:

I’m sorry you can’t afford it. Funnily enough, League 1 clubs are in an even worse position to be able to afford it. As long as you are ok though 👍

You’re not getting the point are you? If champ clubs accommodate you some champ clubs could go under. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Roughyed Rats said:

Then expect another 3 clubs to disappear in the next 12 months and the game shrink even smaller. Protectionism at its finest.

I think we are at cross purposes. I genuinely believe the best way through is to bring League 1 and the Championship together. In fact, it is the *only* viable option now.

The post merely alluded to treading carefully in the process.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

You’re not getting the point are you? If champ clubs accommodate you some champ clubs could go under. 

Hopefully not. The season may mean each club living within their means viz-a-viz pre-existing central funding. This would obviously result in disparities from top to bottom, but every side should exit 2024 financially alive.

• Like 1