(Yet another) restructuring thread

2 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

You aren't the first to suggest that but the issue would be that the grading scores for next year were always meant to be indicative rather than having any direct consequence so you would be moving the goalposts. It would also involve performing after the fact relegation by doing this as at least two clubs that thought they had avoided relegation would find themselves dropped to League 1. It would be too contentious.

Grading scores were also never meant to determine whether a club was in Championship or League 1, just whether they were in SL or not so this would be yet more moving of goalposts.

I think I’m in the majority of not having any answers tbh, it’s all just guessing or opinions. 

1 minute ago, Rovers13 said:

No idea wouldn’t surprise me if we did though. 

So its OK to have blow out scores that are in the same league but exclude the 8 remaining L1 teams for the same reason?

18 minutes ago, Griff said:

No need for "thumpings".  Here's what I said on the Newcastle thread.

I roughed this out when there were 23 clubs, so it'd need a bit of tweaking but the principle's the same.

Split your 23 clubs into top 8, middle 8, bottom 7.

Top eight play each other home and away + middle eight home or away.   22 games.

Mddle eight play everybody home or away.  22 games

Bottom seven play each other home and away + middle eight home or away.  20 games.

Separate league tables for each group.

Advantages  - Reduces possibility of "blow-out" scores, attractive fixture list for all clubs.

Disadvantages - Compromises the principle of everyone playing each other home and away.

You don't mention it but presumably this would involve some post season movement between the three groups? Otherwise how would any club progress within this division of 22 clubs?

1 minute ago, gogledd said:

So its OK to have blow out scores that are in the same league but exclude the 8 remaining L1 teams for the same reason?

I think you’re missing the point they are ready to step up the rest of league one are not. 

Edited by Rovers13

24 minutes ago, Griff said:

No need for "thumpings".  Here's what I said on the Newcastle thread.

I roughed this out when there were 23 clubs, so it'd need a bit of tweaking but the principle's the same.

Split your 23 clubs into top 8, middle 8, bottom 7.

Top eight play each other home and away + middle eight home or away.   22 games.

Mddle eight play everybody home or away.  22 games

Bottom seven play each other home and away + middle eight home or away.  20 games.

Separate league tables for each group.

Advantages  - Reduces possibility of "blow-out" scores, attractive fixture list for all clubs.

Disadvantages - Compromises the principle of everyone playing each other home and away.

Would need adjusting for 22 teams but possibly the best so far

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wiganermike said:

You don't mention it but presumably this would involve some post season movement between the three groups? Otherwise how would any club progress within this division of 22 clubs?

Various options - what I was concentrating on was providing a core fixture list for the season.  Play-offs for the Championship and promotion and relegation are, of course, possible - indeed, likely.

But I'd suspect the most likely would be to split the middle eight into two halves and return to two divisions below Superleague in 2025.

IMG's rankings are, of course, an option too.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

I think you’re missing the point they are ready to step up the rest of league one are not. 

I'm responding to the post where you said you didn't want to watch Donny because it would be a blow out score where you'd beat them by 80 points. The remainder of League 1 teams were all competing to get to Championship level last season. While I accept only Dewsbury and Doncaster made the cut, the competition to get there was pretty fierce. I'm more concerned that the remaining 8 clubs don't get cut adrift and theres a sustainable structure for them to play in. 

• Like 3

Just now, gogledd said:

I'm responding to the post where you said you didn't want to watch Donny because it would be a blow out score where you'd beat them by 80 points. The remainder of League 1 teams were all competing to get to Championship level last season. While I accept only Dewsbury and Doncaster made the cut, the competition to get there was pretty fierce. I'm more concerned that the remaining 8 clubs don't get cut adrift and theres a sustainable structure for them to play in. 

Im being awkward for awkward’s sake tbf lol because do you think if there was only 8 champ clubs left we would be allowed into SL? 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Rovers13 said:

Im being awkward for awkward’s sake tbf lol because do you think if there was only 8 champ clubs left we would be allowed into SL? 

Fair point.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

No, because there is a significant difference in scale between a full time league and two part time ones.

The point I was trying to make is why should champ clubs bend over backwards when SL doesn’t. 

Because the difference between part time championship and part time League 1 is nowhere near the difference between part time championship and full time super league.

5 minutes ago, Griff said:

Various options - what I was concentrating on was providing a core fixture list for the season.  Play-offs for the Championship and promotion and relegation are, of course, possible - indeed, likely.

But I'd suspect the most likely would be to split the middle eight into two halves and return to two divisions below Superleague in 2025.

IMG's rankings are, of course, an option too.

Looks to be a good approach to giving everybody a set of manageable fixtures. It would be a good way to bring the two divisions together and then reconfigure them back into two divisions.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Because the difference between part time championship and part time League 1 is nowhere near the difference between part time championship and full time super league.

Also theirs a big gulf between say fev Toulouse and hunslet north wales crusaders probably bigger than rhinos v bulls. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Send both London and Toulouse up. Ringfence them and Catalans. Get a French TV deal. Give Trinity a reprieve. Have a 20 team 26 game Championship with an NRL style draw, with fixtures based on league placings, and IMG criteria based P&R.

Done...

Two French teams (one with an identity which is Catalan rather than French and based in an insignificant little tiwn to boot) playing in a league full of teams from smallish towns in England which mist Frenchmen have never heard of.  And in a sport most of them never heard of too.

On what planet would that draw an audience big enough that French broadcasters would be willing to pay for that?

Edited by Big Picture

Just now, Tommygilf said:

If those 12 don't bring the money in, there is no "we"

That’s not our fault we’re not allowed to join the big boys table, put bulls in for say a Salford or a fev for a hudds no difference if anything both would prob bring more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's some good suggestions on this post and I agree that it needs looked at and changed BUT this is the RFL we're talking about... Would anyone be surprised if they turned round and said " it's an 8 team league, if you don't like it then don't play" I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

The point I’m trying to make is if all the clubs in our game had the same sky money for years and same treatment I’d bet SL wouldn’t be the 12 it is now. 

It would look pretty much the same. Maybe Bradford would be up there but most of the Champ and L1 offer very little to SL and Sky. I would include London in that as well.

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Two French teams (one with an identity which is Catalan rather than French and based in an insignificant little tiwn to boot) playing in a league full of teams from smallish towns in England which mist Frenchmen have never heard of.  And in a sport most of them never heard of too.

On what planet would that draw an audience big enough that French broadcasters would be willing to pay for that?

Nice touch with the Allo Allo policeman’s accent. 

• Haha 3