(Yet another) restructuring thread

Just a thought

start the season with one league of 22 and then split into two divisions of 12 & 10 after about 14 matches.

2 Up and 2 down at the end of the season.

Pros

Each team will have a minimum of 23 Games.

Limit number of blow out scorelines.

Cons

Not necessarily the fairest way to split the divisions. Although I'm sure each clubs fixtures could be evened out.

All the seasons fixtures wouldn't be known in advance

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

I don't know if you have info or are just guessing, but I **hope** (with zero confidence) that the RFL will get ahead of this and have urgent talks with all the clubs to ascertain viability. 

We're going to get nowhere just sitting back and waiting for more clubs to hit the buffers...

I have 0 info.   But a division of 8 teams will never fly, so League 1 as it stands right now is not going to have a 2024 season with this few teams.  So either something has to happen to make L1 viable, or the clubs in it will have to play at a different level in order to survive

• Like 1

One benefit of just two pro tiers of RL is that it must be easier to raise sponsorship and finance without having to describe yourself as being in the ‘third division’ and instead as ‘fighting for a place in Super League’.

I get that if they do merge that the bigger boys in the Championship have less in it for them than say the L1 clubs.

I don’t accept the blowout argument as the fixtures/schedule could be ‘weighted’ differently for each club depending upon their strength - there’s no need for everyone to play everyone else home and away.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

One benefit of just two pro tiers of RL is that it must be easier to raise sponsorship and finance without having to describe yourself as being in the ‘third division’ and instead as ‘fighting for a place in Super League’.

I get that if they do merge that the bigger boys in the Championship have less in it for them than say the L1 clubs.

I don’t accept the blowout argument as the fixtures/schedule could be ‘weighted’ differently for each club depending upon their strength - there’s no need for everyone to play everyone else home and away.

The gulf between champ and league 1 barring one or two clubs is huge like it is from champ to SL. Can you imagine say us playing teams like Oldham etc be cricket scores, same as saints playing a swinton etc. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

The gulf between champ and league 1 barring one or two clubs is huge like it is from champ to SL. Can you imagine say us playing teams like Oldham etc be cricket scores, same as saints playing a swinton etc. 

Precisely why the schedule should be ‘weighted’ so that as few of those clashes happen as possible.

7 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

I would rather see a season or two of cricket scores than watch an untenable third tier collapse taking great old clubs and promising new ones with it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Precisely why the schedule should be ‘weighted’ so that as few of those clashes happen as possible.

You only play each other twice anyway barring summer bash which is now gone, you suggesting we promote 8 teams from champ 1 and give them an advantage over established champ clubs who could go down with this happening? 

• Like 1

Just now, Rovers13 said:

You only play each other twice anyway barring summer bash which is now gone, you suggesting we promote 8 teams from champ 1 and give them an advantage over established champ clubs who could go down with this happening? 

No, there’s no need for everyone to play each other home and away - that’s the advantage of the conference/sub division structure.

If you merge the Championship and League 1 then the last thing you do is create one division.

How could established Championship clubs ‘go down’ exactly?

• Like 1

No, there’s no need for everyone to play each other home and away - that’s the advantage of the conference/sub division structure.

If you merge the Championship and League 1 then the last thing you do is create one division.

How could established Championship clubs ‘go down’ exactly?

If there is only one tier where they’re all in then they can’t, but I’m sorry I wouldn’t want to watch my team play a donny and put 80 on them. 

1 minute ago, Rovers13 said:

If there is only one tier where they’re all in then they can’t, but I’m sorry I wouldn’t want to watch my team play a donny and put 80 on them. 

Fair enough which is precisely why you ‘weight’ each teams schedule to ensure they are mainly playing teams around the same playing strength.

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Fair enough which is precisely why you ‘weight’ each teams schedule to ensure they are mainly playing teams around the same playing strength.

I suppose you could do that as at moment nothing to play for on field anymore anyway so might as well make a mockery of league schedule too lol. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rovers13 said:

Nope we lost on the field where it should be we weren’t good enough on the day, same as saints and hull kr weren’t last week that’s sport. 

Yep, it’s never easy to take either.

I totally understand Championship clubs at the top not seeing what’s in it for them when there’s a merger with L1.

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yep, it’s never easy to take either.

I totally understand Championship clubs at the top not seeing what’s in it for them when there’s a merger with L1.

I don’t think it makes much difference only to paying spectators tbh because I’d choose a bulls fax fev game than I would a fev hunslet game, it’s not just about not wanting them you have to think about your own fans too. Like close competitive games not cricket scores.  

12 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

I don’t think it makes much difference only to paying spectators tbh because I’d choose a bulls fax fev game than I would a fev hunslet game, it’s not just about not wanting them you have to think about your own fans too. Like close competitive games not cricket scores.  

I’d say the fans are a key stakeholder though.

It’s grim times for Fev fans, but I don’t see any other alternative if we’re to salvage the situation.

I’d say the fans are a key stakeholder though.

It’s grim times for Fev fans, but I don’t see any other alternative if we’re to salvage the situation.

I wouldn’t say it’s just grim for us it’s grim for a lot of teams, we’ve decided to pull the funding on the field which is right thing to do as you might as well throw it down a drain now than build a good team. 

2 hours ago, Dovster said:

All the seasons fixtures wouldn't be known in advance

Here's the reason why twelves and eights failed and why this won't happen.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 minute ago, Rovers13 said:

we’ve decided to pull the funding on the field which is right thing to do as you might as well throw it down a drain now than build a good team. 

I don't really understand this philosophy to be honest - surely you'd still want to be successful in the competition that you're playing in? Or is the aim solely about getting out of that competition?

Just now, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I don't really understand this philosophy to be honest - surely you'd still want to be successful in the competition that you're playing in? Or is the aim solely about getting out of that competition?

No the aim is to pull the funding I’d like to think anyway to use it on the stadia to get an A grade. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

If we're to have a combined Championship, here's your major problem.

Having Wakefield play a lower League 1 team is an unattractive fixture for both teams.

You need top teams playing top teams, bottom teams playing bottom teams with some crossover to compile a fixture list with interest but without repetition.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

35 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

You’ll be watching that next season if the championship stays at 14 clubs. 

• Like 2