Liverpool St Helens

Just now, Rovers13 said:

You have to remember the only expansion club that’s took off big time is Catalans why? Because they’re competing with no other major sports. 

Hmmm, USAP were very influential in Perpignan and a major Top 14 club. I think they done well coz RL has a rich history in that city and surrounding areas in southern France 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

Hmmm, USAP were very influential in Perpignan and a major Top 14 club. I think they done well coz RL has a rich history in that city and surrounding areas in southern France 

I said major sports like footy not USAP. 

Edited by Rovers13

1 minute ago, Rovers13 said:

No should I? Lol we’re a small sport always have been we can’t compete with footy or rugby union etc no matter how hard we try. 

Is it coz Fev lost last week that you're on a downer with the whole sport?

Just now, The Daddy said:

Is it coz Fev lost last week that you're on a downer with the whole sport?

If you think it’s cos we’ve lost then shows you’re a casual. You don’t like the answers I provide you so find alternate way of wondering why I don’t agree with you. 

2 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Not targeting you particularly here, but this seems to apply to York in a way it doesn't to all the other clubs who haven't been in Super League since '96.

I know where your coming from but making ANY waves in RL outside SL these days is a minor miracle, so any club that does it should be heaped with praise in a way that we seem to reserve for expansion clubs. 

2 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

If you think it’s cos we’ve lost then shows you’re a casual. You don’t like the answers I provide you so find alternate way of wondering why I don’t agree with you. 

It was just a joke calm down

Just now, The Daddy said:

It was just a joke calm down

I know you were but automatically fans think cos someone’s negative about the sport it’s because they lost or their team will never get in SL etc, it’s about the game not one club mine or yours. 

• Like 1

If this was to happen (which it won't), I expect it would cause an outcry in the town of St Helens and the city of Liverpool wouldn't even notice. There is very little distance between the two places but in some ways they feel worlds apart. 

Prescot is less than 10 minutes away from Knowsley Road, for example. When there was a team there, they averaged crowds of around 300. Not only is there a very limited rugby league presence in Liverpool, there is absolute absence of knowledge or interest in gaining knowledge of the sport.

I don't know if it's different in boroughs of London and whether there is a collective identity of being a Londoner, whether your in Hackney, Ealing, Tottenham or wherever. It's not like that in what they call the "Liverpool City Region".

People from Liverpool and St Helens tend to have strong and very separate identities. I get the logic, from an outside perspective but there would be nothing gained from this and plenty of goodwill torched.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rovers13 said:

You have to remember the only expansion club that’s took off big time is Catalans why? Because they’re competing with no other major sports. 

USAP (the rugby union club in Perpignan) get (or always used to get) bigger crowds than Catalan.

Catalans were an expansion of the British competition into France, but the area has been a RL heartland for over 80 years - it certainly isn't an expansion of the game into a new area.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

I know you were but automatically fans think cos someone’s negative about the sport it’s because they lost or their team will never get in SL etc, it’s about the game not one club mine or yours. 

It's not about the game but you are bias towards your own club and heartland clubs whereas I have a bias towards newer/expansion clubs and clubs with larger catchment areas

15 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

I know where your coming from but making ANY waves in RL outside SL these days is a minor miracle, so any club that does it should be heaped with praise in a way that we seem to reserve for expansion clubs. 

More than happy to praise them. They're doing a lot of things right.

They are currently the closest club to where I live, I've started going to watch them quite regularly and have been enjoying my visits.

• Like 1

As a resident of St Helens and a Saints fan over over 50 years, I feel confident in responding accordingly.

I have worked in and around Liverpool for over 40 years, my wife is from Liverpool and the vast majority of the many people I have met are not interested in Rugby League, including my wife who has to put up with me night and day.

Don't know if you remember in the late 90's, Saints played a couple of games @ Anfield, these were not particularly well attended, Everton and Liverpool season ticket holders were given discounts on tickets, my mates and I were very grateful!!

As previous posters have commented, it has been tried before with Liverpool Stanley becoming Liverpool City then Huyton and finally Prescot, one team that moved around without much joy. Union hasn't faired much better either.

Sorry, it wont happen.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Population of Liverpool is closer to half a million.

Hush, we are busy making stuff up over here.

I don't think anywhere in this thread anyone has given an explanation as to why we would mess around with one of our actually successful clubs?  

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

13 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Hush, we are busy making stuff up over here.

I don't think anywhere in this thread anyone has given an explanation as to why we would mess around with one of our actually successful clubs?  

Liverpool City Region, the metropolitan areas and Merseyside metropolitan county are all well over 500,000. That's not making anything up.  

2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I'm not proposing a merger, I'm proposing St Helens broadens its supporter base and adopt the Liverpool name. 

You think St Helens should try to get more fans? That’s an amazing idea!! Have you contacted the club’s board and suggested it to them?

2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

It's this sort of attitude that keeps RL a small, regional sport. Not saying they should have two clubs but either adopting the Liverpool name wouldn't be a bad thing

Brave effort mate, but the reaction to your theoretical probably sums up exactly why Rugby League in England is going and will continue to go down the gurgler. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Brave effort mate, but the reaction to your theoretical probably sums up exactly why Rugby League in England is going and will continue to go down the gurgler. 

Or total lack of knowledge of the existing fanbase of one of Englands most successful clubs. There’s plenty of work to do in England but I don’t think starting at St Helens in this manner would accomplish anything

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

RL in England isn’t going down the gurgler because teams on the outskirts of big cities like Liverpool or Manchester aren’t changing their names to said cities.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1