London Broncos 2024

Well, leaving aside who is responsible (the Broncos in the case of London), we've seen two academies close, a large chunk of private investment disappear, and likely some loss of volunteers (more private investment) and, of course, players. All the while, the RFL has been paying out money to ensure that in 2025 we have the 12 best clubs in SL rather than the best 10 plus maybe 12th and 13th. I hope it's worth it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Surely it is fantastic news.

We've been told that IMG's remuneration is a percentage of the increase in the money the game earns.

If IMG are already seeing a return, then there must be some new/increased income stream that hasn't been made public yet.

Naively, I did think that was the deal.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

All of the information I've ever read said that was the case.

Percentage of future income.

What would you call the Sky TV deal?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

It really doesn't make sense does it, from any angle.

To me it just seems more likely to kill the Broncos long term.

In your opinion where will this demise of the Broncos lie.

I watched both the semi v Featherstone and the Final v Toulouse, I listened to the coach Mr Eccles and he was exuberant, the players seemingly buoyant and Mr Hughes looked like he was on cloud nine, promotion gained job acheived.

Collectivly from those present officials and player's and even from the commentary there was no indication that this was going to be the beginning of the end for the Broncos as you are predicting, so what has changed?

David Hughes will be fed up of funding a decent academy set up and having the best harvested off for little gain. Now he is saying 'up yours' to the RFL, if you want to tap into development potential outside the saturated M62 corridor, you need to do it with your own money. Cuttign his nose of, possibly, but understandable.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Is it not percentage in the increase of future income?

The TV deal is less than last time.

I honestly don't remember. I thought it was future earnings/income.

I know the TV deal is less than last time. So are most sports' right now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The ownership who have already driven away most of the fans and kept going as a zombie club for years.

Literally no one else.

• Like 2

People are presumably aware that we've used and paid agencies - including IMG - in the past to negotiate the TV deals for a percentage fee?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

People are presumably aware that we've used and paid agencies - including IMG - in the past to negotiate the TV deals for a percentage fee?

That was when we didn't have the experts in house.

I would be disappointed if RL Commercial (with IMG as a share holder) were paying IMG to negotiate TV rights.

That really should be part of what IMG are doing for their percentage of the increase in future income - otherwise, they either get paid twice or (as with this TV deal) get paid even if they fail in their main objective (increasing the sport's income).

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MattSantos said:

A couple of consultants at 1k a day. A senior overseeing steerco at 2,5k per day maybe. 7k a day is 64 working days. 3 months work. It shows.

Being a member of the Manchester Chamber of Commerce albeit a while ago, I was coerced into inviting a Consulting Company to my premises to look at and assess my business and subsequently advice what steps and procedures to take to improve it.

I went along with it and let them come along to do what they do and then present me with a portfolio of improvements and business practises I needed and should adopt. The trouble was it was obvious they were working from a template and had no idea about our functionality, products, or the areas and businesses we serviced which included some very critical applications and industries.

Needless to say I did not employ them, the reason being is that I knew what my business was all about and what made it good and reliable to our customers. This is where I believe the difference is and why IMG are being employed in that those who are the decision makers and officers of the RFL who sat in at the IMG presentation and subsequently employed them, have no idea whatsoever what there business is and how best to serve it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

That was when we didn't have the experts in house.

I would be disappointed if RL Commercial (with IMG as a share holder) were paying IMG to negotiate TV rights.

That really should be part of what IMG are doing for their percentage of the increase in future income - otherwise, they either get paid twice or (as with this TV deal) get paid even if they fail in their main objective (increasing the sport's income).

Indeed. IMG came onboard as the RFL's 'strategic partner'.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Indeed. IMG came onboard as the RFL's 'strategic partner'.

They are learning, I suspect, that it’s impossible to be a strategic partner to a self destructive herd of cats

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Coggo said:

Clearly IMG is focusing clubs’ minds on driving up commercial standards but this decision by the Broncos is the mother of unintended consequences. 

No points for Academies seems a major strategic blunder. Can they not revise the criteria?

Not until all clubs who want an academy and can afford it are allowed to so, or if said club has an application submitted to run one they are given full Mark's, by my reckoning that would be a further 26 applications😏

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Clearly, they should be working for free and be grateful.

When did you learn that they were being played an annual fee?

I was always dubious of the information that came out that they would not get any recompense whatsoever till their system delivered a profit and then they would receive a percentage of that.

Not surprised it was kept quiet though, people safeguarding jobs etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

When did you learn that they were being played an annual fee?

I was always dubious of the information that came out that they would not get any recompense whatsoever till their system delivered a profit and then they would receive a percentage of that.

Not surprised it was kept quiet though, people safeguarding jobs etc.

As I say, my understanding was percentage of future income. The TV deal is future income. I am not remotely surprised and, unlike some, am not gleefully looking forward to further failure in the game (the word further being important there) so they can do a little “I told you so” dance whilst watching a further diminished sport.

2 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Surely it is fantastic news.

We've been told that IMG's remuneration is a percentage of the increase in the money the game earns.

If IMG are already seeing a return, then there must be some new/increased income stream that hasn't been made public yet.

Or on the other hand an expenditure that has not been submitted.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Since yesterday's news as broke re the Broncos there is a marked difference in your attitude, and could I say bitterness.

You could say bitterness. That’s projection from you.

Weary resignation that London have yet again made - of their own volition and with no justification that stands up to scrutiny - a massively self destructive decision that will turn yet more people away from them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I watched both the semi v Featherstone and the Final v Toulouse, I listened to the coach Mr Eccles and he was exuberant, the players seemingly buoyant and Mr Hughes looked like he was on cloud nine, promotion gained job acheived.

Collectivly from those present officials and player's and even from the commentary there was no indication that this was going to be the beginning of the end for the Broncos as you are predicting, so what has changed?

It'll die because they are so terribly managed and this is the single worst decision they have made in decades (and there's a lot to go at)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So if a team has say 14.9 points, but refused by the authorities to run a pathway they will not gain be able to have an 'A' grade.

Jobs for the boys springs to mind if that is the case.

Just have a look at the document Harry it doesn't say that.