Jump to content

London Broncos 2024


Recommended Posts


1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Was it asked?

Tommy, it's a long time since I was asked to find money to pay the bills and, to be honest, I don't take a great deal of interest in the finances these days.  If the RFL, as a body, want to pay IMG £450,000 a year, that's fine by me.  It's their money.

But you must see that it's probably no coincidence that everyone except you, with your well-connected best mate, was under the impression that IMG's only remuneration would be from a share of the vast increase in commercial income for which they would be responsible.   Which would, of course, mean that they had plenty of incentive to generate said income.   The fact that they are receiving an annual fee significantly waters down that incentive.

Which creates doubts about the transparency of the deal.

  • Like 3

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I doubt they (the RFL) would even know where to start, and I would not be surprised if IMG had done a bit of research and thought this lot look a bit gullible there is a few dollars to be made here and it was they who made the first approach.

IMG are probably right.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I doubt they (the RFL) would even know where to start, and I would not be surprised if IMG had done a bit of research and thought this lot look a bit gullible there is a few dollars to be made here and it was they who made the first approach.

I am not sure there is any measure that a company or individual can look at the RFL and RL in England and think that there would be a few dollars to be made. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If further proof of the disconnect between the club and the fans were needed, it can be found in the latest edition of the club newsletter....

Quote

Want Your Say in What Happens at the Club??

London Broncos are seeking fans who want to have a say at their club with regular meetings and consultation.

Get Involved!
If you would like to be involved email hello@londonbroncosrl.com
 

#WeAreLondon

...the LBSA has existed since 2014, but AGAIN........after launching their "own" version that delivered ZERO in returns, they are doubling down.

The oxymoronic thing is that the club are again asking for feedback but not listening when they get it. Frustrating is an understatement and it's no wonder that 3,000+ fans have left the club....

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couple quick observations:

1. Regional academies should be run by the RFL

2. Broncos will pick up IMG points for increased crowds, viewing numbers and revenue from their 2024 season. Probably not enough to stay up. 


3. Most supported P&L with minimum standards ie. junior pathways, decent stadium, etc. Few thought the IMG gradings would be what they are: a way to nail in the existing SL clubs. 
 

4. 2024 marks another missed opportunity in the narrative of RL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Londonbornirishbred said:

If further proof of the disconnect between the club and the fans were needed, it can be found in the latest edition of the club newsletter....

...the LBSA has existed since 2014, but AGAIN........after launching their "own" version that delivered ZERO in returns, they are doubling down.

The oxymoronic thing is that the club are again asking for feedback but not listening when they get it. Frustrating is an understatement and it's no wonder that 3,000+ fans have left the club....

And some people think there is any kind of strategy behind what the club does.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dealwithit said:

 

3. Most supported P&L with minimum standards ie. junior pathways, decent stadium, etc. Few thought the IMG gradings would be what they are: a way to nail in the existing SL clubs. 
 

Hang on, aren't we talking about SL clubs London Broncos beibg kicked out? And Leigh being at risk despite their excellent 2023?

And Toulouse are on the list to be elevated. 

So tbh, I struggle to keep up. If this system is to protect the current teams, it ain't doing a brilliant job, and aren't the likes of London always treated like favourites, until they aren't? 

I'm not convinced they have it right, which probably isn't a surprise for v1, but I don't doubt what they are trying to achieve. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Hang on, aren't we talking about SL clubs London Broncos beibg kicked out? And Leigh being at risk despite their excellent 2023?

And Toulouse are on the list to be elevated. 

So tbh, I struggle to keep up. If this system is to protect the current teams, it ain't doing a brilliant job, and aren't the likes of London always treated like favourites, until they aren't? 

I'm not convinced they have it right, which probably isn't a surprise for v1, but I don't doubt what they are trying to achieve. 

Yeah good point. But the weighting on League position, tv ratings and crowds is substantial and any B grade club in championship will do it tough cracking the bottom SL clubs from ‘25 onwards — even if they produce players, are based in strategically important areas or have huge potential. If you’re not in SL you’re not on tv and you’re not attracting bigger crowds. Hard to compete. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dealwithit said:

Yeah good point. But the weighting on League position, tv ratings and crowds is substantial and any B grade club in championship will do it tough cracking the bottom SL clubs from ‘25 onwards — even if they produce players, are based in strategically important areas or have huge potential. If you’re not in SL you’re not on tv and you’re not attracting bigger crowds. Hard to compete. 

I do agree with some of the challenges around some of the scoring categories, and my view is that there should be a period of Refinement to make sure these things are doing the right things. Whether they will, we'll we'll see. 

Ignoring my overarching view of whether P&R and grading are compatible, I don't have too much of an issue with it being difficult for clubs to move into SL. That's part of the point really, it is meant to root out what happened this year. I understand why people don't like the approach, but I'm not sure many could challenge the point that Super League is no better with this London team in. 

I think we have to see what happens to an extent, I think the scores are relatively close at the top end of Championship and SL, and while I haven't spent any time playing around with movements, it does suggest there will be some P&R. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Dave T said:

I do agree with some of the challenges around some of the scoring categories, and my view is that there should be a period of Refinement to make sure these things are doing the right things. Whether they will, we'll we'll see. 

Ignoring my overarching view of whether P&R and grading are compatible, I don't have too much of an issue with it being difficult for clubs to move into SL. That's part of the point really, it is meant to root out what happened this year. I understand why people don't like the approach, but I'm not sure many could challenge the point that Super League is no better with this London team in. 

I think we have to see what happens to an extent, I think the scores are relatively close at the top end of Championship and SL, and while I haven't spent any time playing around with movements, it does suggest there will be some P&R. 

I agree with your last paragraph. Begs the question, would it not have been easier to allow P&L between same grading teams, rather than observing of 0.01 points — noting the above mentioned favouritism for SL teams. I’d like to think If Featherstone won the championship and a fellow B grade side like Leigh lost, that there’d be straight P&L. Instead we’ll be left counting who go the most tv viewers and the most likes on facebook, when naturally there’s higher engagement in SL than Championship. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, dealwithit said:

I agree with your last paragraph. Begs the question, would it not have been easier to allow P&L between same grading teams, rather than observing of 0.01 points — noting the above mentioned favouritism for SL teams. I’d like to think If Featherstone won the championship and a fellow B grade side like Leigh lost, that there’d be straight P&L. Instead we’ll be left counting who go the most tv viewers and the most likes on facebook, when naturally there’s higher engagement in SL than Championship. 

Why do you keep calling it P&L?

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/11/2023 at 13:45, Dave T said:

I don't have too much of an issue with it being difficult for clubs to move into SL.

I don't have an issue with it being difficult to get into SL either. But I do have an issue with it being difficult because of a system that  I subjectively believe is flawed analysis of data and objectively understand it to be an assessment of a period of time that includes a season (maybe 2 for finance scores) before the system was known.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's what happens when the off field staff basically don't exist unfortunately. As ever, marketing comes last. Stick some posts in the ground, announce kick off time and then wonder why they don't sell out.

I was a season ticket holder for twenty odd years and have seen it far too often. I confidently predict that, sadly, it will be just as flawed a strategy as it has been for over a decade now.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.