London Broncos 2024

I can understand on one hand that DH is seeing a 250k spend and thinking - why bother when we're getting relegated anyway, but on the other hand .... 

I don't think London Broncos would still be around if he had stopped paying for the academy years ago. The only way we have been chugging along in the championship is that we are employing southern born players, and not having a team full  of northerners that cost more.

I believe DH was saying Wellington Albert was our highest paid player last year (he wasn't pleased with his performances over the year), he also mentioned it cost a lot more to employ northern players - as it usually means they have to rent houses for players to share, or they have to rent bigger properties for those with families, or if they aren't providing the housing - they have to pay a lot more for them to move to London with the price difference. 

We may be able to survive 1 or 2 years without an accademy, survivng off previous graduates, etc. But after that, we aren't able to function with a majority of northerner's anymore. 

And like other people on this thread have mentioned - It isn't going to be a straight swap of 250k from academy to marketing, etc. It will just be DH not spending that 250k. 

Ah, in a year of promotion back to SL, it is depressing to be a London RL fan.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Click said:

I can understand on one hand that DH is seeing a 250k spend and thinking - why bother when we're getting relegated anyway, but on the other hand .... 

I don't think London Broncos would still be around if he had stopped paying for the academy years ago. The only way we have been chugging along in the championship is that we are employing southern born players, and not having a team full  of northerners that cost more.

I believe DH was saying Wellington Albert was our highest paid player last year (he wasn't pleased with his performances over the year), he also mentioned it cost a lot more to employ northern players - as it usually means they have to rent houses for players to share, or they have to rent bigger properties for those with families, or if they aren't providing the housing - they have to pay a lot more for them to move to London with the price difference. 

We may be able to survive 1 or 2 years without an accademy, survivng off previous graduates, etc. But after that, we aren't able to function with a majority of northerner's anymore. 

And like other people on this thread have mentioned - It isn't going to be a straight swap of 250k from academy to marketing, etc. It will just be DH not spending that 250k. 

Ah, in a year of promotion back to SL, it is depressing to be a London RL fan.

It really doesn't make sense does it, from any angle.

To me it just seems more likely to kill the Broncos long term.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

It really doesn't make sense does it, from any angle.

To me it just seems more likely to kill the Broncos long term.

Pretty much this.

The club put out a "call" to supporters to get their opinions, etc. a few days ago which I responded to - What they want to know that they couldn't get from the LBSA, I have no idea. 

It is just a bit of a joke decision, and I cannot really understand it from a standpoint of wanting London RL to continue to grow and produce players like KPP and the many others that are playing in SL and other leagues. 

I feel stupid for feeling quite emotional about this decision, and I think it is because of the make up of our current squad, and the idea of us bringing back all these London juniors at other clubs, bringing them home to play in SL, and then also saying - No more of you anymore. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Well I thought the fee was based on future share of income, but they've done well to get £450k for effectively nothing so far.

A couple of consultants at 1k a day. A senior overseeing steerco at 2,5k per day maybe. 7k a day is 64 working days. 3 months work. It shows.

• Haha 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

47 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

A couple of consultants at 1k a day. A senior overseeing steerco at 2,5k per day maybe. 7k a day is 64 working days. 3 months work. It shows.

on a plan a poor undergraduate could have dreamed up in an hour or two, like I said IMG shysters

Blimey. I thought IMG's efforts were very poor value when they were free. If the RFL - who recently put on a budget Tonga series - had £450k spare then, yeah, lost for words. 

To get back on topic. £450k = the savings 'the game' has made on the Newcastle and London academies in 2024.

Thank goodness for RL Commercial, eh!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JM2010 said:

The RFL could spend that £450K on development officers

Plus all the expenses freebies retainers for the rl council with IMG thats just shy of 1 million a year.

League 1 sorted 100%

And around 12 development officers 

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Clearly IMG is focusing clubs’ minds on driving up commercial standards but this decision by the Broncos is the mother of unintended consequences. 

No points for Academies seems a major strategic blunder. Can they not revise the criteria?

8 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

That is what I have been told.

Clearly, they should be working for free and be grateful.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, Coggo said:

Clearly IMG is focusing clubs’ minds on driving up commercial standards but this decision by the Broncos is the mother of unintended consequences. 

No points for Academies seems a major strategic blunder. Can they not revise the criteria?

Pathways are part of the minimum standards for A Grade tbf

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Coggo said:

The issue is that the RFL decides which clubs are allowed to run elite academies - the RFL would therefore be deciding which clubs to give extra IMG points to.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

The issue is that the RFL decides which clubs are allowed to run elite academies - the RFL would therefore be deciding which clubs to give extra IMG points to.

And to repeat the London Broncos specific bit this is entirely a Broncos decision. A club that has a tradition of making truly awful decisions regardless of the context.

They could afford the Academy. There will be no investment in other areas as a result of this decision.

Lastly, regardless of IMG points, a club located so far from the normal player pool really needs to invest in having lots of local players anyway or else they will end up, as in the past, spending more on players as they will need to be convinced to move to the most expensive part of the country.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Archie Gordon said:

No. That's what the RFL expects of 15 hour/week idiots like me. 

They don't want to professionalise you and ruin your dream of playing for the Baa-baas at HQ.

9 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

If true, words fail me.

Surely it is fantastic news.

We've been told that IMG's remuneration is a percentage of the increase in the money the game earns.

If IMG are already seeing a return, then there must be some new/increased income stream that hasn't been made public yet.

• Haha 2