Boxing Day

Batley Bob

6 hours ago, frank said:

Thanks Roger! Hope your sleeping alright  posting in the early hours. All the best for a Happy and Healthy New Year.

With not working not using too much energy and the blinking TV putting very good programmes on late.

All the very best for the New Year to you and yours.

12 minutes ago, dgt said:

2 sloppy tries from Dewsbury 

Sorry, we did the best that we could but will try to improve their quality in the future.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

We were far better than Dewsbury in the first half, they had to be wide awake on a couple of occasions to stop us scoring, they bothered us rarely and a poor effort in the tackle put us behind. Have to say that in the 2nd half Dews tackled tremendously as  Gledhill, Cooper, Wardy and Joe Gibbons really got stuck in. Only a great bit of thinking by Dave Gibbons and back up from Joe Burton unpicked 'em. Forward effort got us tge leveller although Rams defenders would be as upset letting Cooper in as we were in conceding at half-time. All in I thought it was a fair game and result yet told both sets of fans nothing! 

Dewsbury forum suggesting they thought we looked weak in the pack- an area where we have been really strong for a number of seasons now- but this can't be a surprise. We have lost Reilly, Kibula, Hirst and Lillycrop from last season, possibly Browny too and the only confirmed replacement has been Cooper (who I think will be a great signing) and two trialists. That's a lot of size, power, experience and skill gone. I do hope we have some plan to replace them without relying on some DR one week wonder from Castleford.

1 hour ago, bromleybulldog said:

Dewsbury forum suggesting they thought we looked weak in the pack- an area where we have been really strong for a number of seasons now- but this can't be a surprise. We have lost Reilly, Kibula, Hirst and Lillycrop from last season, possibly Browny too and the only confirmed replacement has been Cooper (who I think will be a great signing) and two trialists. That's a lot of size, power, experience and skill gone. I do hope we have some plan to replace them without relying on some DR one week wonder from Castleford.

We looked poor when the trialist were on as they’ve not played championship rugby our pack was the best thing about our performance as Cooper, Gleds and Ward ran the show for us while Burton and Butterworth were the highlights in the backs 

I’m sure DD will back me here as we weren’t far off agreeing about who had played at the higher level 

Trialists as in Rhodes  and Chita? Rhodes didn't have long on to show much but I thought he got stuck in, with time he could become quite a presence, he's got the frame, probably needs a stone on. Chita I would agree didn't impose himself but maybe that was expecting a bit too much of a transition from Shaw Cross to Championship in 1 match, but no reason to write him off either.

5 minutes ago, phildog said:

Trialists as in Rhodes  and Chita? Rhodes didn't have long on to show much but I thought he got stuck in, with time he could become quite a presence, he's got the frame, probably needs a stone on. Chita I would agree didn't impose himself but maybe that was expecting a bit too much of a transition from Shaw Cross to Championship in 1 match, but no reason to write him off either.

I don't think anyone is writing anyone off. It was to be expected that they might struggle playing at a level significantly higher than they have previously.  It is now up to the coaches and players to ensure that they can find the best level they can.