NCL 2024 Predictions

22 hours ago, Cumbria1 said:

So as we come to the end of 2023 what are people’s thoughts on who will win NCL Prem Play Offs, Div 1, 2 & 3 League & Play Offs.

Who will

be relegated in 2024 

Prem- hard to argue against Hunslet again, though I think Rochdale could go strong too. 
I think heworth may find this step up difficult, hard to find a bad pack in the prem which is where heworth win their games imo.
1- I think Leigh miners win the league and water head 2nd with stanningley through the playoffs 

think woolston will struggle

2- between Oldham and shaw cross for me who narrowly missed out, be interesting to see how thronhill recoup, but not winning a game in 2023 is bleak reading and may struggle again in a decent division 

3- east Leeds bounce back, I know a few players returned towards the back end last year. Distington will go well too I think

Draft fixtures are now with the clubs for observation.

Final lists will be issued mid december . All divisions are looking competitive . 

Not too long to wait for action as 5 of the NCL sides feature in Round 1 of the CC on 14/15  January. 10  further Premier Division clubs join in Round 2 two weeks later.

Round 1

oulton stanningley west bowling clock face heworth army navy raf 

newsome panthers doncaster toll bar  ashton bears  orrell st james  lowca  hammersmith hill hoists  medway dragons  west warriors

haresfinch  fryston  south wales jets and edinburgh eagles

Round 2

10 winners from above +

hunslet arlfc   west hull  mayfield  wath brow thatto heath  york acorn siddal  lock lane  leigh miners  hull dockers

Some invitees declined for a number of reasons and GB Police are to tour Australia.

Personally think Egremont may struggle as they step back up to the prem.

Millom/Elbra may struggle and may come straight back down but same could be said for Barrow Island. 

Division 3 is always hard to call, Fev lions and Milford will be favourites. Personally think Dis might struggle, they were an ageing squad in Cumbria league so be interesting to see if they've recruited anyone. I believe Hensingham have recruited young Weatherill from Wath Brow ( didn't see that coming )  and recently named Kris Coward as head coach.

Edited by Neutralfan7

3 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Personally think Egremont may struggle as they step back up to the prem.

Millom/Elbra may struggle and may come straight back down but same could be said for Barrow Island. 

Division 3 is always hard to call, Fev lions and Milford will be favourites. Personally think Dis might struggle, they were an ageing squad in Cumbria league so be interesting to see if they've recruited anyone. I believe Hensingham have recruited young Weatherill from Wath Brow ( didn't see that coming )  and recently named Kris Coward as head coach.

Some good players at egremont, turnbull, Tyson, Appleby. Think they’ll do what Kells did and surprise a few teams early on but get ‘found out’ towards the end and drop off. 
interesting that weatherill (jay I presume?) has moved to Hensingham, 2nd best winger in NCL for me as I’ve stated on prior threads, so it’s a big drop into div3. 

2 minutes ago, rugbylad09 said:

Some good players at egremont, turnbull, Tyson, Appleby. Think they’ll do what Kells did and surprise a few teams early on but get ‘found out’ towards the end and drop off. 
interesting that weatherill (jay I presume?) has moved to Hensingham, 2nd best winger in NCL for me as I’ve stated on prior threads, so it’s a big drop into div3. 

Yeah they've good players I agree, Turnbull especially for me wouldn't look out of place in the semi-pro game. Yeah it's Jay that's moved 👍

14 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Yeah they've good players I agree, Turnbull especially for me wouldn't look out of place in the semi-pro game. Yeah it's Jay that's moved 👍

Very surprised by that, tough for the Cumbria clubs that they have the same catchment give or take. I’m sure wath have another great young player to take his place. 
The challenge cup draw has definitely wet the appetite for the season, no better value than £2/£3 to watch some amateur rugby and players who could easily get paid

• Like 2

On 06/12/2023 at 16:30, rugbylad09 said:

Very surprised by that, tough for the Cumbria clubs that they have the same catchment give or take. I’m sure wath have another great young player to take his place. 
The challenge cup draw has definitely wet the appetite for the season, no better value than £2/£3 to watch some amateur rugby and players who could easily get paid

Fixtures now released on the website.

Distington's first game in the NCL is away to Hensingham. Should be a good crowd and a decent match. Welcome aboard.....

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/12/2023 at 16:30, rugbylad09 said:

On 06/12/2023 at 16:15, Neutralfan7 said:

Ye Jay has gone, but I'm sure that 2 or 3 of the Brow youngsters are looking to take his shirt.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/11/2023 at 12:51, JMB said:

Distington will do ok, they will find a big difference in the step up but will soon find their feet. 

Made favourites to win the Division by SkyBet , who have set the odds for every club in the NCL

Interesting read. Not sure they have them all right........

7 hours ago, del capo said:

Made favourites to win the Division by SkyBet , who have set the odds for every club in the NCL

Interesting read. Not sure they have them all right........

Yeah I 100% agree. think east Leeds are massively overpriced if they’ve got their players back from 2 seasons ago, which in the last couple games last season they seemed to, may have a punt on them if they release a team sheet before the 1st game