3rd round Oldham at home.

Clarkey

On 05/02/2024 at 15:37, Dave W said:

I'm a little bit concerned about the weather forecast for later in the week.

- Temperatures are dipping; possible snow on Thursday/Friday

- Below zero overnight going into the weekend with a high of 6. 

Less concerned about frozen pitch now. Just a threat of snow on Thursday followed by rain off and on over the weekend. 

Another mudfest beckons... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RLDB said:

I think the foot injury is Tom Walker. 

Confusion due to Walker and Clarke names in same post and in response to the nature of the injury, 'concussion' (applied to Clarke not to Walker)  - 'foot injury' was omitted (applied to Walker). Think we got it straight now.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2024 at 20:22, RLDB said:

Training at Askam this week, I guess to give the pitch a chance to recover. 

Needs looking into seriously we are a hard ground team this year and having first team, women and college team training and playing on it every night surely isn’t good for the pitch. Must only get 1/2 nights rest a week. Surely makes sense training at amateur clubs for all teams or hiring venues like the college? Pitch didn’t look great last year when summer come round was hardly any grass on it when we played Widnes at home last year if I remember.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rod77 said:

Needs looking into seriously we are a hard ground team this year and having first team, women and college team training and playing on it every night surely isn’t good for the pitch. Must only get 1/2 nights rest a week. Surely makes sense training at amateur clubs for all teams or hiring venues like the college? Pitch didn’t look great last year when summer come round was hardly any grass on it when we played Widnes at home last year if I remember.

The pitch has been very uneven and bumpy for years, more like a cow field, due to overuse as you say. But no spare cash to fix it I guess. Steve told me from January the 1st team would be training on an artificial pitch in town. Not sure if that's the case.

Edited by 2Cents
  • Like 2

On 08/02/2024 at 16:46, RLDB said:

A trialist in the 21 man squad

He's 18th man unsure who he is. 

Brad Walker is injured so Adam Jackson comes. Furness Raider Finn McMillan on the bench. Brett Carter moves into the centres. 

Going to be tough today. Missing Bulman, Clarke, Toal, Walker, Walker, Stack and Gillam who all would be in our strongest 17 and Oldhams team looks really strong. 

• Like 1

Can’t fault the effort today. The long spells of tackling took its toll in the end I think. Oldham would be a top 6 Champ side. 

3 games in and the injuries and suspensions are mounting. Currently 9(?) missing, Broadbent will get a ban for his red. Not sure whether it was Shaw or Costello who got put on report for a tackle in the corner by the marquee. Hope Charlie Emslie is ok. 

• Like 1

We ran out of steam by the end of the game and Oldham had far too much experience to not take advantage of it. 

They punished every mistake we made and there was quite a few daft individual errors. Charlie gave away a repeat set on the last tackle before the 1st try, Ryan did an incorrect play the ball before the 2nd try, Adam Jackson did a rubbish kick followed by a Brett Carter penalty before their 3rd try and the 4th try was an intercept. 

I honestly think losing might be a huge blessing in disguise to prepare for the season. James Greenwood and Adam Jackson went off with head knocks, Charlie went off injured. Cresswell was blatantly playing injured the last 10 minutes. 

Thankfully we have 2 weeks off so get a few troops back. 

Personally I think we looked extremely organised in attack and defence. If we improve discipline and cut out a few errors there is the makings of a very good side. I'm not concerned about today in the slightest considering by the result today as by the end of the game we had 3 injured players in the squad and 6 good players not on the field. 

• Like 4

Very poor in the 2nd half and Oldham took advantage and deserved the win but the referee letting them lie on all the time especially in the 1st half shouldve been penalised more

• Like 1

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

Oldham looked a well organised team who will win league 1 at a canter, Barrow looked worn out for the second half but did show some good spells in attack that amounted to nothing in the end, wouldn't read to much into this game with the players that were missing today.

Bit of a sour note was the language used by some barrow fans that was clear to hear on bbc was disgusting and cheering on the fight at the end doesn't paint Cumbrian RL in a good light in the modern game.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RSN said:

We ran out of steam by the end of the game and Oldham had far too much experience to not take advantage of it. 

They punished every mistake we made and there was quite a few daft individual errors. Charlie gave away a repeat set on the last tackle before the 1st try, Ryan did an incorrect play the ball before the 2nd try, Adam Jackson did a rubbish kick followed by a Brett Carter penalty before their 3rd try and the 4th try was an intercept. 

I honestly think losing might be a huge blessing in disguise to prepare for the season. James Greenwood and Adam Jackson went off with head knocks, Charlie went off injured. Cresswell was blatantly playing injured the last 10 minutes. 

Thankfully we have 2 weeks off so get a few troops back. 

Personally I think we looked extremely organised in attack and defence. If we improve discipline and cut out a few errors there is the makings of a very good side. I'm not concerned about today in the slightest considering by the result today as by the end of the game we had 3 injured players in the squad and 6 good players not on the field. 

Totally agree with our errors and giving away penalties at the play-the-ball, as you say, Emslie's stupidity led to their 1st try.

Thought Oldham were only mediocre, but their big forward who scored the try made a difference.

So many injuries so early in February means we're already scraping the bottom the barrel with replacements.

But couple of weeks off now until the next 1895 game and League doesn't start until mid-March when I hope several of our top players are back.

Bit concerned about another poor attendance, 1401 (inc. 200 Oldham) for a Challenge Cup game, our 1st competitive Home game, mitigated being on a Saturday and on BBC TV. Seem to be missing 1000 from last season. Travelling support at Whitehaven and Workington was very low. Hope we can get back to 2000 for our financial sake.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 2Cents said:

Totally agree with our errors and giving away penalties at the play-the-ball, as you say, Emslie's stupidity led to their 1st try.

Thought Oldham were only mediocre, but their big forward who scored the try made a difference.

So many injuries so early in February means we're already scraping the bottom the barrel with replacements.

But couple of weeks off now until the next 1895 game and League doesn't start until mid-March when I hope several of our top players are back.

Bit concerned about another poor attendance, 1401 (inc. 200 Oldham) for a Challenge Cup game, our 1st competitive Home game, mitigated being on a Saturday and on BBC TV. Seem to be missing 1000 from last season. Travelling support at Whitehaven and Workington was very low. Hope we can get back to 2000 for our financial sake.

I think it was down to being on a Saturday and so many supporters at work. 

1 hour ago, tbgfc said:

Oldham looked a well organised team who will win league 1 at a canter, Barrow looked worn out for the second half but did show some good spells in attack that amounted to nothing in the end, wouldn't read to much into this game with the players that were missing today.

Bit of a sour note was the language used by some barrow fans that was clear to hear on bbc was disgusting and cheering on the fight at the end doesn't paint Cumbrian RL in a good light in the modern game.

Nonsense most fans cheer on their team in a bit of a scuffle. Bad language on the beeb might have been a scandal in the 40s but walk down any street anywhere and you will hear worse think you want to be upset over nothing.