Streaming of away games

Someone has raised a question to our supporters group about accessing streams of games, including teams away games. He says a number of Championship clubs do this already via their app/site, does anyone know if this is the case? And how they get round the rights and loss of revenue to the clubs they're visiting?

11 minutes ago, Jemmo said:

Someone has raised a question to our supporters group about accessing streams of games, including teams away games. He says a number of Championship clubs do this already via their app/site, does anyone know if this is the case? And how they get round the rights and loss of revenue to the clubs they're visiting?

I know that Bradford, Halifax and Dewsbury all put full match replays of all of their games on their youtube channels a few days after they play - but these aren't streamed live, you have to wait about three days for them to be uploaded.

Featherstone have a streaming service, but I'm not sure if you're able to watch all matches live.

At the moment no broadcaster is signed up to show Championship, so rights won't be a problem. Whatever the rights deal was over the last couple of years didn't stop Bradford, Halifax and Dewsbury uploading their matches soon afterwards.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1

I wondered if Wakefield might consider this, now Siddal have the OK for holding the forthcoming cup tie at home.  As long as the two clubs sell out the full allocation of tickets to attend the game it wouldn't deprive either club of any income. 

I don't know if Wakefield would want to share any extra income from streaming with Siddal though baring in mind that Siddal have put home advantage in front of cash.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, Barley Mow said:

Featherstone have a streaming service, but I'm not sure if you're able to watch all matches live.

They do have an excellent service, but no Championship club held the rights to its games up to 2024. I suspect that this season will be the same. So Fev can stream a pre-season friendly, but not any official games.

What you get for a very competitive monthly fee is radio commentary of the game live. Then the match is uploaded to watch maybe 72 hours later. They also have lots of interviews and updates on there. Then the back catalogue of previous games.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

I wondered if Wakefield might consider this, now Siddal have the OK for holding the forthcoming cup tie at home.  As long as the two clubs sell out the full allocation of tickets to attend the game it wouldn't deprive either club of any income. 

I don't know if Wakefield would want to share any extra income from streaming with Siddal though baring in mind that Siddal have put home advantage in front of cash.

Why didn't Siddal agree to just play at Wakey and presumably ask for more money than they would get front he mich smaller ticket number of a home tie?

Also I'm sure their players would prefer a big day out at Wakeys nice newly revamped stadium ?

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Why didn't Siddal agree to just play at Wakey and presumably ask for more money than they would get front he mich smaller ticket number of a home tie?

Also I'm sure their players would prefer a big day out at Wakeys nice newly revamped stadium ?

Amateur clubs have been burned by doing this - their ain’t much money in switching fixtures nowadays - maybe they fancy their chances of an upset at home. When it gets to playing some of the SL clubs there’s a bit more of a chance of a payday

Now that the Siddal game is set we can move on to querying why Newcastle have chosen the play their home 1895 cup tie v Wakefield at Featherstone. 🤔

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

3 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Now that the Siddal game is set we can move on to querying why Newcastle have chosen the play their home 1895 cup tie v Wakefield at Featherstone. 🤔

Floodlights, but it's a 2pm ko so shouldn't need ours ( before any jibes lol).

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Amateur clubs have been burned by doing this - their ain’t much money in switching fixtures nowadays - maybe they fancy their chances of an upset at home. When it gets to playing some of the SL clubs there’s a bit more of a chance of a payday

Burned in what way? As long as they have a written agreement? ...and their support is pretty much SL level still so the crowd will be comparatively massuve conpared to Siddal....what is the max for Siddal?

There is literally no way they have a chance against Wakey mate....20-1 at least 

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

2 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

They do have an excellent service, but no Championship club held the rights to its games up to 2024. I suspect that this season will be the same. So Fev can stream a pre-season friendly, but not any official games.

What you get for a very competitive monthly fee is radio commentary of the game live. Then the match is uploaded to watch maybe 72 hours later. They also have lots of interviews and updates on there. Then the back catalogue of previous games.

I've often thought clubs could utilise commentaries a lot better, nowadays they cheap to do (pretty much need a voice and a phone) and I think the amount of people who would not travel to a game because there is commentary is negligible (where as a video stream of a game would stop a decent number)

1 hour ago, Jemmo said:

I've often thought clubs could utilise commentaries a lot better, nowadays they cheap to do (pretty much need a voice and a phone) and I think the amount of people who would not travel to a game because there is commentary is negligible (where as a video stream of a game would stop a decent number)

As Mark says, Fev do it for every game and have done for at least 10 years, but sometimes at away games there are technical issues/hitches that apparently are down to problems with the wi-fi, so I suspect it's not quite as straightforward as you suggest.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Newcastle's ground is unavailable and they want to play the game as a "home" fixture, but fairly close to Wakefield so that plenty of their fans can come. Win/win.

• Thanks 1

Yeah we've had to use POR before when out pitch was getting relaid, in fact we got out biggest "home" score on your ground. They tend to be better with fixtures now and we get a long patch of the summer with no home games to allow for the pitch

15 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Burned in what way? As long as they have a written agreement? ...and their support is pretty much SL level still so the crowd will be comparatively massuve conpared to Siddal....what is the max for Siddal?

There is literally no way they have a chance against Wakey mate....20-1 at least 

The costs involved in opening and staffing Belle Vue will be significantly higher and, as the "home" club, Siddal could be invoiced for these costs by Wakefield if they decided to switch (or have the costs taken from their cut). 

Given that CC games are not generally well-attended, it then becomes a question of whether the forecasted crowd at Wakefield would generate more revenue than they'd otherwise generate at Siddal from ticket sales and ancillary revenue (bar and concession takings, etc), which they'd also lose if they switch to Belle Vue.  

1 hour ago, whatmichaelsays said:

The costs involved in opening and staffing Belle Vue will be significantly higher and, as the "home" club, Siddal could be invoiced for these costs by Wakefield if they decided to switch (or have the costs taken from their cut). 

Given that CC games are not generally well-attended, it then becomes a question of whether the forecasted crowd at Wakefield would generate more revenue than they'd otherwise generate at Siddal from ticket sales and ancillary revenue (bar and concession takings, etc), which they'd also lose if they switch to Belle Vue.  

How many can Siddal hold?